It was a busy weekend in Greenpoint. The Fowler ArtsOne Year show was a great start on Friday night. The artwork was impressive for a mixed group show, which doesn’t surprise me because of the many talented artists who have studios there. Plus the raffle extravaganza, with over 20 prizes generously donated from local shops and restaurants made the night a lot of fun! I can’t wait to blow my $2o Word gift certificate!
These lovely ladies were holding down the Kent St block party on Saturday, which was stoop sale and kids running in street like lunatics central.
On Saturday night Project Collective had an art and music bash to raise funds for the Brooklyn High School of the Arts. Any party on a perfect evening at The End is amazing because the killer views from the roof deck are spectacular.
I usually don’t like to rush the weekends but I couldn’t wait for Sunday when The Richardson had its Templeton Rye event. For $6 you got a Rye Cocktail plus a Pulled Pork Sammie from Edan Farms prepared by Tom from The Meat Hook. While I was shoving my second sandwich in my mouth (that’s 2 cocktails and 2 sandwiches for $12!), Tom, the pulled pork genius, explained that he braised smoked pork butts overnight with bacon. I call this sandwich divine perfection. It was the best pork sandwich I have ever had and I eat pulled pork any chance I get. MORE PLEASE! Peter, one of our Greenpointers writers, was the champion after eating a whopping three! Go Peter!!!
• What the Hell Are You Doing? with David Shrigley@ Word (126 Franklin) 7pm – authortalks about new book, Q&A, get “inked” with sharpies & enter for a chance to win a tattoo from East River Tattoo, lemonade & donuts
• Oktoberfest @ Brouwerij Lane (78 Greenpoint Ave) Sat. & Sun. All Day, beer, pretzels, sausage.
• Project Collective Presents When Ends Meat @ The End (13 Greenpoint Ave @ West) 7pm until late. $5 – music by Supercrush, local artwork curated by Ava Hassinger. Proceeds are donated to Brooklyn High School of the Arts.
• Annual Parish Picnic @ St. Stanislaus Kostka Church (Driggs & Newel) 11:30am-6pm, food, dancing, raffles and games for kids. Fun for all!
• SASS Presents: The Holy Crusades! @ Pete’s Candy Store (709 Lorimer) 7-8:30pm, Society for the Advancement of Social Studies monthly Monday lecture series explores how “Christianity got its groove back,” games, themed drink RSVP
ANNOUNCEMENTS • Want to take a Basic Drawing Class at Ascension with Bob Corr? Interest & more info email ascensionbrooklyn (at) gmail.com. • Starting this weekend Eastern District (1053 Manhattan) will be open every Friday & Saturday until 9pm! • Starting Monday, September 26, you can dine at Goodyoga(73 Calyer) every weeknight, or take out your meal in a stainless steel tiffin lunchbox. Pre-order – 20 meals for $200/month. Yum!