WEDNESDAY 3/23 ☺ What Are You Afraid Of? @ Over the Eight (594 Union Ave) 8pm, $8, Comic tales of fears featuring Jasmine Pierce, Anita Flores, Anna Rose Roisman, and Julio Torres, Buy tix # Sumo Stew @ Brooklyn Brewery (79 North 11th St) 8pm, $5, Watch a sumo match streaming live from Japan while you enjoy bento boxes by outstanding local chefs, More info
THURSDAY 3/24 * Purim Bash @ Greenpoint Loft (67 West St) 6:30pm, $10, With a megillah reading, magic show, face painting, crafts, buffet dinner, and more, More info
* You & Yours Grand Opening @ You & Yours Vintage (77 Franklin St) 6pm, FREE, Get drinks, desserts, and amazing vintage finds, More info ♦ “Passing Through” and Motley Cru Wine Release @ Brooklyn Oenology (209 Wythe Ave) 7pm, FREE, Opening reception for a solo exhibition by Fanny Allié, plus a celebration of the release of 2012 Motley Cru, More info
WEDNESDAY 1/27 * Look at Yourself,Man @ Videology (308 Bedford Ave) 7pm, $6.27, A selfie workshop for dudes, presented by TEDxxx, Buy tix ☺ Comedy Night @ Adelina’s (159 Greenpoint Ave) 9pm, FREE, Featuring hosts John Mahone and Alan Yaspan, More info
* Asylos Traverses @ Humboldt & Jackson (434 Humboldt St) 7:30pm, $10, A staged reading with movement, choreography, lip synching, dinosaur bones, and drinks, RSVP ♫ Berning Down the House @ Good Room (98 Meserole Ave) 8pm, $10, A fundraiser for Bernie Sanders featuring an array of artists, musicians, DJs, and advocates, RSVP ♫ Do You Like Disco 1-Year Anniversary @ The Metropolitan (559 Lorimer St) 10pm, FREE, With SPRKLBB / Yam Bataller / Nita Aviance / David Sokolowski, RSVP
[sponsored] Mark Kraus Record Release Show
Saturday, Pete’s Candy Store, 8pm, FREE Record release show for Greenpoint-based singer/songwriter Mark Kraus’s new album The Story of Everything, an immediate, cinematic, and at times heartbreaking solo debut that’s both deeply personal and universal. It’s a record about epochs of time: youth in revolt, a life long love story, the start and end of everything. More info
WEDNESDAY 8/05 * The Big Quiet @ North Brooklyn Farms (329 Kent Ave) 7pm, $1, A group meditation session in a popup farm as the sun sets over the NYC skyline, More info * Circus of Dreams @ Bizarre Bar (12 Jefferson St) 9pm, $7, With Glitter Twins, Lolo Haha, Fritz Donnelly, Baucous Burly Q, Lindsee Lonesome, and many more, RSVP
THURSDAY 8/06 ♫ Degentrification @ Aviv (496 Morgan Ave) 8pm, $8, With Doziac / Strays / Parasio, RSVP ♫ End @ The Good Room (98 Meserole Ave) 10pm, $15, UK-based DJ Secondcity brings house and techno to Brooklyn, Buy tix
Tonight at Lucky Luna (167 Nassau Ave) starting at 7pm, artists and performers will gather to celebrate the power of creativity as a means of collaboration, consciousness, perspective and change in GAMBA Z’s Artist Salon. Artwork by A.J. Springer is on display and there will be live performances followed by an open mic. Invite as many people as you like and join to support and empower the creative community! RSVP for updates and more details.
Lucky Luna is usually closed on Mondays and will not be serving its usual Mexican-Taiwanese fare but a full bar will be available.
GAMBA Z is a platform for a residency and monthly salon that promotes a familial artist community.
WEDNESDAY 6/17 # Brooklyn Waterfront Tastes @ Glasserie (95 Commercial St) 6pm, $175, Unlimited tastings from Brooklyn’s finest restaurants, liquor from Brooklyn distilleries, and thrills from surprising and quirky entertainments, Buy tix ^ Meet the Presses with Akashic and Dzanc Books@ Word (126 Franklin St) 7pm, FREE, Featuring two authors from each press for a night of readings, More info ♫ The Hunger (Third Course) @ Bar Matchless (557 Manhattan Ave) 8:30, $10, With Hungry March Band / Shayfer James / The Woes, RSVP
WEDNESDAY 4/29 * Voices of Brooklyn: Between Wolves & Sheep @ Parables (334 Sough 5th St) 7pm, $15 suggested, Soulful vocals and body shakin’ grooves paired with stories of learning what protection truly meant in the of Williamsburg in the 80s and 90s, RSVP ♫ The Hunger (1st Course) @ Bar Matchless (557 Manhattan Ave) 8pm, $10, Hungry March Band begins their monthly Matchless residency, this month with Stumblebum Brass Band and Reggay Lords, RSVP * The Strange Journey Through Every Bodega in New York @ Acme Studio (63 North 3rd St) 8pm, $15, Obscura Society presents one woman’s odyssey documenting an overlooked but deeply idiosyncratic NYC icon before it disappears, More info
* Domino Effect FilmScreening @ Black Bear Bar (70 North 6th St) 6:30pm, The documentary explores the process of real estate development in New York City and will be followed by a Q&A with neighborhood advocate Ryan Kounen, RSVP
^ Self-Published ReadingSeries @Word Bookstore (126 Franklin St) 7pm, FREE, Celebrate the rolled-up sleeves of Brooklyn’s independent writers and their crafty crafts, RSVP ♫ Rocco & Lizzy EP Release Show @ LIC Bar (45-58 Vernon Blvd) 7pm, FREE, Celebrate the Astoria duo’s EP “Something for Everyone,” RSVP Continue reading →
* Burned out Buildings, Take Berlin, and Kicking out Money-Changers @ Parables (334 South 5th St) 7pm, $15, Learn the stories and sounds of your neighborhood, through local storytellers, musicians, and interactive art, RSVP * Everything’s Coming UpProfits @Spectacle Theater (124 South 3rd St) 8pm, $5, An evening of corporate ephemera with Steve Young sharing delightfully catchy, weird, and excruciatingly rare gems, More info Continue reading →
Greenpoint Gallery Night @ Friday (3/20) 7pm, FREE, An ongoing effort to shed light on Greenpoint’s exceptional galleries, art organizations, and businesses that feature artwork. Start your evening immersed in art while sampling tasty boozy libations along the way. Check out our Art Crawl guide here, RSVP
* Four Way Books Press Night @ Word (126 Franklin St) 7pm, FREE, Get to know Four Way Books with authors Daniel Wolff, Gregory Pardlo, Elizabeth T. Gray, and Rachel Eliza Griffiths, More info ♫ Frogbelly & Symphony Record Release @ Rough Trade (64 North 9th St) 8pm, $10, With Christina Courtin / Charming Disaster / Billy Cancel, More info Continue reading →
Last Sunday, the weather was so gorgeous, and for the first time in months I wasn’t daunted by the thought of leaving a roughly one-block radius. Jen G and I were both up for trying something new, and decided on brunch at Lucky Luna, by McGolrick Park. Continue reading →