The latest un-popular fashion trend is Tropical Goth—and it’s exactly what you think it is. Picture Charles Manson wearing a Hawaiian shirt stumbling into a backyard BBQ grill. Flaming flamingos and casual-day-for-cutters aside, you may not know that Tropical Goth is also a Brooklyn-based record label and dance party (of course it is). The Tropical Goth crew emerged a couple years ago from the minds of a couple of Bushwick’s Bossa Nova Civic Club DJs. The maestro of Tropical Goth is Shredder aka Chris Video, with Publicist, Food Stamps, Marcus Webb, Deadontheinternet and other tortured tiki souls dropping beats at select parties. Somehow they manage to blend beachy island vibes with dark industrial techno better than the best pina colada you’ve ever had on a drug-fueled bachelorette party in Puerto Rico. Continue reading
- Greenpoint This Week: Market Mania, EPA Newtown Creek Plan, 2005 Rezoning and Displacement, and More!
- Weekend Must-Do’s: Greenpointers Nutcracker Holiday Market, Gold Dust, Oddities Flea, STREB Slam + MORE!!
- High Flying STREB Production “Action Heroes: Sooner, Higher, Faster, Harder!” Runs Through 12-15
- EPA Proposes Newtown Creek Tunnel to Divert 61 Percent of Annual Wastewater Overflow
- Thursday Spotlight: Ryan William Downey on creating theater that’s “slapstick comedy, abject horror, and pure existential dread”