If you’re looking for something strange and unusual to do this Friday the 13th weekend, look no further than Gristle Tattoo + Gallery (26 Bushwick Ave) in Bushwick who are hosting an ultra creeptastic goth puppet show. On Saturday night (April 14th) from 8:30pm-10pm, puppeteers Handsome Devils Puppets will be bringing you their grotesquely exquisite puppets acting out “tales of doom & gloom, of gladness & glow.” There’s no ticketed entry, but there’s a suggested donation of $10-15.
If you’re tatted up at all, you probably know about the Friday the 13th tradition shops have for offering relatively cheap flash (pre-designed) artwork. I’ve met a few people who only have tattoos from Friday the 13th flash sales—it’s a look that either says “I’m too cheap for a sleeve,” or “I don’t give a fuck what you think.” Honestly, though I appreciate a beautifully-designed back piece, I’m a fan of the miniature bodyart form that is flash. Here’s some local shops who are offering deals today. Be prepared to wait in line.
Evil and Love | 211 Franklin St.
$30-$100 tattoos from 1-9pm. Come by for cheap tattoos, $200 raffle and good company. Re post and tag us to enter the raffle. We’ll be taking walk-ins all day and have tons of flash to choose from!
Three Kings Tattoo | 572 Manhattan Ave.
@dave_ball will be tattooing special designs from his Black Book, as a “Black Friday the 13th” special! Stop by our Brooklyn shop and check out what Dave’s got in his spooky Black Book! Also @adamjmachin will be offering some special flash designs from 1pm til 10pm! Each piece is $130 and are sized as is. Tattoos will be done on a first come, first served basis, so be sure to get here early! Continue reading
Summer’s End Music Fest, Labor Day Beach Party, Clown Cabaret – What’s happening, Greenpoint? (8/31 – 9/06)
* We the People Live @ Over the Eight (594 Union Ave) 7:30pm, FREE, A live political podcast hosted by Josh Zepps with guests Corinne Fisher, Myq Kaplan, and James Myers, RSVP
☺ Your Childhood Bullies Showcase @ Adelina’s (159 Greenpoint Ave) 10pm, FREE, Comedy and stories from Ben Wasserman, Meghan Ross, Kerry Coddett, and Brian Bahe, More info
^ The Parsnip Ship @ Cloud City (85 North 1st St) 7pm, FREE, A live-read radio play hosted by Iyvon Edebiri and Eric Borlaug, RSVP
♫ Soul Clap Records Night @ Black Flamingo (168 Borinquen Pl) 10pm, FREE, With Joel Davis & Eli Bamboozle, RSVP
Death By Art, Comic Arts Brooklyn, Brooklyn Electronic Music Festival, – What’s Happening, Greenpoint? (11/05–11/11)
* Free Training Tips for Rescued Dogs @ Empire of the Dog (415 Grand St) 7:30pm, FREE, Discuss the typical issues that may arise in newly adopted dogs and how to navigate the first several months with your new pet, More info
♫ Brooklyn Electronic Music Festival Pre-Party @ Output (74 Wythe Ave) 10pm, $15, With Move D / Reagenz / Forma / Bryan Kasenic, Buy tix Continue reading
Greenpoint Gallery Night, Ende Tymes Fest, Cardboard Robot Battle – What’s Happening, Greenpoint? (5/07–5/13)
(sponsored) Brush Free New Look @ Brooklyn Groove (102B Nassau Ave) Saturday 5/10- Sunday 5/11, 4pm, Take hold of your beauty routine and be brush free! Bring your mom to celebrate together and learn quick tips on how you can get a fresh look by using your best makeup tools… YOUR HANDS! Makeup artist Patrycja Korzeniak will give a lesson using your new favorite lines, Vapour and RMS Beauty. There will be free wine, music from DJ DLP, and a raffle with great prizes, More Info
(sponsored) Mother’s Day Bazaar @ Little Poland Gallery (240 Kent Ave, first hallway entrance, last store on the right) Saturday 5/10, 11am-7pm, Check out this curated selection of goods from European designers including organic clothing, handmade jewelry, accessories and select pieces of art and home decor– great gifts for mothers of all ages!
* Vestige: A Folk Opera @ Cloud City (85 North 1st St) 8pm, $15, A story about choices: once we make them, what (and who) gets left behind?, More info
* NY AIDS Walk Benefit @ Big Sky Works (29 Wythe Ave) 7:30, $20, A night of celebration, remembrance, and support featuring music, ventriloquism, aerial performances and more, More info
* Streetsblog & Streetfilms Happy Hour @ Dutch Kills Centraal (38-40 29th St) 6pm, FREE, Stop by and talk about your ideas for improving Northern Boulevard, 21st St., or the Pulaski Bridge, RSVP
* The Art of Spiritual Melodicism @ Golden Drum (97 Green St #G1) 7pm, $20, a special evening of hovering overtone magic and singing along with divine melodies, Indian ragas, mantras, and beyond, More info
♫ Ende Tymes Fest IV @ Silent Barn (603 Bushwick Ave) 8pm, $15 day/$50 weekend, A four-day festival of noise and experimental liberation, More info
* The Good Mother Myth @ Word (126 Franklin St) 7pm, Abby Sher, Anne-Marie Lindsey, and Heather Hewett look at what it means to be a mother, RSVP
♫ M.I.A. with A$ap Ferg @ Knockdown Center (52-19 Flushing Ave) 7pm, $38, M.I.A. is known for her killer live shows, and this is bound to be one to remember, Buy tix Continue reading