♫ Off The Record w/ Mari.te & Taylor Shockley @ Elsewhere Rooftop (599 Johnson Ave.), 5pm, FREE w/ RSVP, RSVP
* Park Church Co-op Happy Hour, Holy Conversation @ Goldie’s (195 Nassau Ave.), 6:30pm, FREE, join The Park Church Co-op for a drink and conversation, first round’s on them, More Info ♫ AMAI / PussyVision / Dominic Coles @ Troost (1011 Manhattan Ave.), 8pm, FREE, More Info ♫ Funk You @ House of YES (2 Wyckoff Ave.), 10pm, FREE, RSVP
# Proudly Inauthentic: Filipino Diaspora Cooking with Dale Talde @MOFAD (62 Bayard St.) 6pm, $30, Chef Dale Talde talks about the ins and outs of Filipino American cooking through the lenses of immigration, assimilation, and labor. Taste one of his recipes. Buy Tix * Incense Making 101 @ Catland (987 Flushing Ave.) 7pm, $15, Buy Tix ^ WE Talk: Travels with Elephants / Bicycling Across India @ Kween Kargo Bike Shop (79A West St.), 7pm, FREE, Mary Ann Thomas stops by as part of her cross-country road trip/storytelling tour! She is a travel nurse, bike tourist, and writer. She will speak about her experiences on the road as a brown, queer woman, More Info ♫ Dauwd with Sophia Saze @ The Good Room (98 Meserole Avenue), 10pm, FREE before midnight w/ RSVP $10-15 after, RSVP
I hope you have the pleasure of meeting Caitlin Bebb, whose addictive and contagious luminosity makes her an ideal artist to write and perform in a show about self-help. Even if you don’t meet her personally, you may feel like you have after experiencing her intimate but wild new show, The Protégé, presented by Glass Bandits and playing June 23–26 at Chez Bushwick (304 Boerum St).
Personal development, therapy, and self-improvement can come with sticky stigmas; by nature, these tactics make us address, confront, and perhaps publicize our imperfections. But in her mysterious yet alluring solo show, Caitlin Bebb rejiggers these ignominies, breaking down the walls of what self-help can expound — well, perhaps not breaking them down, but certainly infusing them with spiritual rejuvenation, a genre-defying performance, and a dance party. Continue reading →
It serves pickled pomegranate, fried chickpea, and grilled sage.
No, it’s not the organic/gluten-free/farm-to-table market down the street; it’s the rustic gastropub in The Bushwick Starr’s (207 Starr St.) new play [porto] —though based on Brooklyn’s artisanal food scene trends, these bites might soon appear on your go-to bar’s menu. And like those snacks, the play is a concoction of the satirical, savory, and flat-out strange.
[porto] is part of this year’s (and the second annual) Exponential Festival, a theatrical series promoting works created in New York and performed in Brooklyn. Kate Benson’s funny, meandering, and world-premiere play centers on Porto, a young woman for whom the hipness of Brooklyn’s cultural and foodie offerings has perhaps grown dull.
* Newtown Creek Community Advisory Group Meeting @ LaGuardia Community College (31-10 Thomson Ave, E Building, Room E501) 6:30pm, FREE, NYS Department of Health will present on the final health assessment for Newtown Creek, give an update on the health outcomes review, and describe work to educate the public about fish consumption advisories in the creek, More info
* Trivia Night @ Brooklyn Brewery (79 North 11th St) 6:30pm, $25, WNET celebrates the upcoming documentary Brooklyn Best with THIRTEEN-themed trivia, More info
☺ Comedy Night @ Adelina’s (159 Greenpoint Ave) 10pm, FREE, With Malwina Andruczyk / John Mahone / Brian McDonald / Alan Yaspan, RSVP
* Terrariums & Tastings @ Brooklyn Craft Co (61 Greenpoint Ave) 7pm, $70, An evening of terrarium-making sampling Brooklyn-made spirits and snacks, More info
THURSDAY 5/22 * Chez Bushwick Presents Artists-in-Residence Two-Night Show @ Center for Performance Research (361 Manhattan Ave) 7:30pm, $12, Four local emerging and established choreographers: Effie Bowen, Gabrielle D’Angelo, Mei Yamanaka, Nicole Roerick, and Stuart Shungg, Buy tix
* Steady Running of the Hour Party @ Cloud City (85 North 1st St) 7:30pm, FREE, A reading / reception / potluck / party / salon in honor of Justin Gakuto Go’s book release, RSVP ♫ RAW: Natural Born Artists @ Brooklyn Night Bazaar (165 Banker St) 8pm, $17, A multi-faceted artistic showcase featuring local, hand-picked talent, More info Continue reading →