* Giglio Opening Night Ceremonies @ North 8th & Havemeyer St, 6pm, FREE, One of the oldest Italian American traditions in America, honoring Nolani patron saint San Paolino, More info
^ Debut Fiction Night @ Word (126 Franklin St) 7pm, FREE, Jessamyn Hope, Sara Nović, and Tracy O’Neill discuss the experience of writing and publishing their first book-length works, RSVP
* Dancorcism @ Lutheran Church of the Messiah (129 Russell St) 8pm, $15, A one-hour dance party for your soul, with high-energy dance routines, stretching, and meditation, More info
♫ Canada D’eh @ The Well (272 Meserole St) 5pm, FREE, With Canadian bacon, Canadian whiskey, and music from Will Butler, July Talk, Walrus, and more, Buy tix
^ Girls at the Kingfisher Club Paperback Release @ Word (126 Franklin St) 7pm, FREE, Author Genevieve Valentine in conversation with Kelly Link, More info
I am heading out to Reno tomorrow, where I promise not to shoot a man just to watch him die. But with travelling on my mind, this week I have you biking to Bushwick for a couple of shows, and on the G train Saturday heading to some modern stride jazz piano at an outdoor dance party in Prospect Park.
Thanks to Sonya P. who wrote up some of her own recommendations for part of this post.
Here are our weekend picks. Continue reading
♦ Materials / Abstraction @ Owen James Gallery (61 Greenpoint Ave) 6pm, FREE, a group exhibition of emerging and established artists who approach abstraction through the use of diverse materials, More info
* Queer/Art/Brooklyn @ The West (379 Union Ave) 8pm, FREE, Coffee and conversation with with special hosts writer, performer, and QAM Fellow Morgan Bassichis; curator and VisualAIDS Program Manager Alex Fialho; and visual artist and QAM Mentor Chitra Ganesh, RSVP
Anyone who has seen indie-rock band Hurrah! A Bolt of Light! knows their capacity to rouse a crowd. Their performance last month at the Living Room was no exception. Frontman and multi-instrumentalist Wil Farr’s voice can bite, twang, scream and, above all, enthrall us. Kinetic, visceral, possessed by the energy of what he’s doing, he sings eyes closed, neck veins bulging, whole body moving, and hips swinging in circles as he hits a groove. Farr is sweating—and it’s only the end of the first song.
“What does it feel like to be you, up there, performing your music?” I ask. “It is to be somewhere else,” he answers.
# Brooklyn Waterfront Tastes @ Glasserie (95 Commercial St) 6pm, $175, Unlimited tastings from Brooklyn’s finest restaurants, liquor from Brooklyn distilleries, and thrills from surprising and quirky entertainments, Buy tix
^ Meet the Presses with Akashic and Dzanc Books @ Word (126 Franklin St) 7pm, FREE, Featuring two authors from each press for a night of readings, More info
♫ The Hunger (Third Course) @ Bar Matchless (557 Manhattan Ave) 8:30, $10, With Hungry March Band / Shayfer James / The Woes, RSVP
TICKET GIVEAWAY! ♫ Greenpointers, Supercrush Studios, and CaraBella Present a Northside Showcase @ Bar Matchless (557 Manhattan Ave) Friday (6/12) 8PM, With Heliotropes / The Meaning of Life / Spritzer / Shark Week / The Teen Age / Oracle Room / DJ Dead_Beat_Dad, Enter for a chance to win here.
^ Not for Tourists NYC Book Launch @ Word (126 Franklin St) 7pm, FREE, See NYC anew with expert explorers and authors Jane Pirone and Rob Tallia, More info
* Dancorcism Dance Party @ Lutheran Church of the Messiah (129 Russell St) 8pm, $15, A one-hour dance party for your soul, with high-energy dance routines, stretching, and meditation, More info
Brooklyn Spaces book launch party @ Gowanus Ballroom (55 9th St), Saturday 5/30, 7pm, $10 suggested. RSVP on Eventbrite or Facebook
Hi there! This is your events editor, Oriana. After more than a year of sharing everyone else’s wonderful events, this week I bring you my own: the launch party for my book Brooklyn Spaces: 50 Hubs of Culture & Creativity. It’s going to be a wild night, with a punk/folk banjo player, a 50-woman AfroBrazillian drumming troupe, a renegade brass band, a flaming saxophone, aerialists, a photo show, food trucks, and more. Come!
(sponsored) Tuesday Night Recession Special @ No. 7 North (931 Manhattan Ave)
We are officially open on Tuesday evenings now! Tuesdays are going to be very special as we’ve decided to do a separate, special, unbelievably affordable dinner menu including Tyler’s FAMOUS fried chicken, broccoli tacos, and a new favorite Elote Siete. Come out and DRINK with us because we will be stirring and shaking up delectable cocktails as always in addition to this stirring meal. More info
* Can Small Businesses Survive in North Brooklyn? @ Sunview Luncheonette (221 Nassau Ave) 7pm, FREE, A policy roundtable to discuss how neighbors, small businesses, and artist-run spaces can work together, stand up for themselves, and fight for our communities, RSVP
* Voices of Brooklyn: Workers in the Vineyard of NYC @ St. Paul’s Theater (334 South 5th St) 7pm, FREE, Guitar and piano-driven music paired with stories of immigrant mothers taking care of their families and each other on the streets of Williamsburg, RSVP
* Domino Effect Film Screening @ Black Bear Bar (70 North 6th St) 6:30pm, The documentary explores the process of real estate development in New York City and will be followed by a Q&A with neighborhood advocate Ryan Kounen, RSVP
^ Self-Published Reading Series @ Word Bookstore (126 Franklin St) 7pm, FREE, Celebrate the rolled-up sleeves of Brooklyn’s independent writers and their crafty crafts, RSVP
♫ Rocco & Lizzy EP Release Show @ LIC Bar (45-58 Vernon Blvd) 7pm, FREE, Celebrate the Astoria duo’s EP “Something for Everyone,” RSVP
# Fuck Cancer @ Brooklyn Brewery (79 North 11th St) 8pm, $50, A North Brooklyn restaurant & bar tasting event and silent auction, Buy tix
* Khal @ Glasshouse (246 Union Ave) 8pm, FREE, Sketched animation of visual scores will be accompanied by spoken word interpretations, RSVP
* Rally for Bushwick Inlet Park @ City Hall (Broadway & Murray St) 1pm, FREE, Help hold the City of New York to their promised of building a park on the North Brooklyn Waterfront, More info
♫ Boom Baby @ Macri Park (462 Union Ave) 10pm, FREE, A Thursday night dance party that brings together the best of hip-hop, rock, house, and Latin tunes, RSVP