Check out the track “Shake Pendulum Shake” – and get the album on Bandcamp while you’re at it.
This looks like a fun show tonight 2/24 at Saint Vitus (1120 Manhattan Ave), presented by Brooklyn Vegan and Shiner Beer with performances by Hop Along / Swearin’ / Great Thunder. Get there early – it’s first come, first get in. Doors 8pm, Show 9pm
Punkish pop fiends Old Monk curate this week’s playlist. Set your laptop’s speakers to 11 after the jump.
Brooklyn Band Field Mouse recently wrapped up a successful Kickstarter campaign to fund the recording of their debut album. We caught up with singer/guitarist Rachel Browne about crowdsourcing, the band’s evolution, and the Brooklyn scene.
This looks fun tonight- Saturday August 10, 2013! The NuBlak night at Coco66 (66 Greenpoint Ave) with special guest Benjamin+Cashmere Destination, DJ sets by Jon Oliver and DJ so op of S.T.C. Records. $5 cover at the door
My goal for Northside Festival was to catch many small Brooklyn-based bands with the hope of discovering some promising new ones and to get those being buzzed about some added exposure. I saw a lot of frankly terrible bands, but I saw a number of good ones as well. Here are the good ones:
They aren’t just the best “girl band” in Brooklyn – Heliotropes are the best band – period! These ladies love Greenpoint and want to giveaway two free tickets to their Album Release Party at Glasslands – TOMORROW – June 18, 2013 at 8:30pm.
To enter: Answer the following question correctly (or incorrectly): Of which month is heliotrope the gemstone?
Deadline to enter: June 17th, 11:59pm
A winner will be chosen randomly and notified by email on June 18th.
Don’t want to risk missing out on the show? Buy tickets.
Radiant Energy, Animal Spirits, Crest Fest, Fly A Kite, Cool As Ice: What’s Happening Greenpoint? (6/5-6/12)
♫ Bugs in The Dark / Gang @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St) 8pm, FREE
☺ The Regulars Comedy Show @ The Creek & The Cave (10-93 Jackson Ave.) 10-11:30pm, FREE
♦ Radiant Energy @ Beginnings (110 Meserole Ave) 7-10pm, A Two-Person Exhibition with Heather Culp and Caroline Hwang, a space for reflection, meditation, and beauty through photographs, fabric pieces and installations
♥ FitDrinks @ Awakening (607 Manhattan Ave) 8-10pm, $10, a monthly networking/cocktail party for fitness and wellness professionals to re-define the detox-retox-redux, Buy Tix
♫ Brooklyn Queen Day @ The Place Bar & Lounge (269 Norman Ave) 8pm, $6, All Ages, Up For Nothing / Fuctiphine, Jimmy Doyle & The Engineers / Yes Virginia, RSVP
♥ Opening Party @ Broken Land (105 Franklin St) 9pm, Celebrate the official opening with free Brooklyn Lager from 9 until they run out, cocktail specials, Alix Brown DJs, RSVP
♦ Relax – This won’t hurt a bit @ Medical Office (1002 Manhattan Ave.) 6-9pm, a group exhibition organized by Alexa Hoyer Elisabeth Smolarz
♦ On/Off Acid @ Calico (67 West St, #206) Opening Reception 7-9pm, curated by Martin Esteves and featuring works by Ailsa Cavers, Gary Cullen, Michael Lee, Max Reinhardt, and David B. Smith as well as short films about “the experience,” RSVP
♫ Craig Davis Band / Sexy Neighbors / Morningside Lane / The Tye Trybe @ Matchless (557 Manhattan Ave) 7pm, $10
* Animal Spirits @ East River Tattoo (1047 Manhattan Ave) 7:30-10pm, Tom Healy, Adam Fitzgerald and Dorothea Lasky will read from their newly released books, poets may be tattooed, tattooers may read poetry, or other combinations thereof, More info
♫ LODRO / Life Size Maps / The Vandelles / Young Boys / Spires @ Secret Loft (247 N. 10th St) 9pm, $10, all you can drink kegs, post punk Vinyl DJ set, visual, kissing booth, RSVP
♫ Porches / Summer People / Lost Boy? / Heeney @ Shea Stadium (20 Meadow St) 8pm
• Greenpoint Sidewalk Sale @ Franklin St, noon-6pm, a good old fashion neighborhood sidewalk sale, the streets will be flooded with vintage, furniture, sales, junk from the areas most beloved shops and artisans
♦♫ Crest Fest @ Crest Hardware (558 Metropolitan Ave) 1-8pm, a day of art, music, food, drinks, dancing, vendor market, free kids crafts and face painting, music by Pitchblak Brass Band / Aabaraki / Cold Fronts
Osekre & The Lucky Bastards / See Through, RSVP
♦ Peter Kyle Dance’s 100 Days @ Triskelion Arts (118 N. 11th St) 8-9:30pm, $15, exposing the artist’s versatility as a performer and testing his endurance, the work is an assemblage of impressions showcasing both expressive range and physical nuance, More info
♫ Sleepies, Street Shark, Rocket Launcher, Butter The Children @ Death by Audio (49 S 2nd St) 8pm, $7
♫ Crocodiles / Chez Deep @ Union Pool (484 Union Ave) 9pm, $10
• PS 132 Annual Kite Festival @ Citi Storage (Kent Ave and N. 11th) noon-5pm, Come fly a kite and spend a day of fun in the sun with amazing crafts, carnival rides, food, photo booth, awesome entertainment and raffles all to benefit our local Public School 132, More info
* Alec Cumming and NYC Radio @ Word Brooklyn (126 Franklin St.) 4-5:30pm, FREE, Historian Alec Cumming discusses Brooklyn’s contribution to the city’s radio history, from the Yiddish stations of the ’30s & ’40s to Radio Soleil’s work in the aftermath of the Haitian earthquake, followed by a guided trip over to the historic radio site at Transmitter Park, More info
♫ The Menzingers / Fake Problems / Restorations / Captain / We’re Sinking @ Saint Vitus (1120 Manhattan Ave) 7:30pm, $15
• Bad Movie Presents Cool As Ice @ Berry Park (4 Berry St) 8pm, FREE, starring Vanilla Ice. Summer is heating up. Cool down… with Ice. He’s back with his brand new invention, a starring role in a Hollywood movie. Word to your mother.
• OSA Community Committee Public Forum @ The Warsaw (261 Driggs Ave) 7-8:30pm, our chance as community members to bring your ideas for maintaining, improving and celebrating our parks in North Brooklyn, More info
* Sailor Jerry Day – 102 Free Tattoos @ The Gutter (200 N 14th St) 7-11pm, 102 free tattoos in honor of the actual Normal “Sailor Jerry” Collins, the tattoo artist for whom the brand is named, choose your tattoo by throwing a dart – afterwards, a free shot of rum, RSVP
* Greenpointers’ Pick
♥ Pheremones likely
♦ Art Event
☺ Comedy Event
# Foodie Event
A Bunch Of Dead People / Butter The Children / Old Monk / I’m Turning Into: Officially Unofficial Northside Show @ Coco66 (6/15)
You could fork over $80 for an official Northside Badge or you can spend $5 and come to the best officially Unofficial Northside Show, presented by Super Crush Studio and Greenpointers at Coco66 on Saturday June 15, 2013 at 8pm! RSVP
Who’s playing? Officially – the best bands in Brooklyn!
Come and have fun!