The latest un-popular fashion trend is Tropical Goth—and it’s exactly what you think it is. Picture Charles Manson wearing a Hawaiian shirt stumbling into a backyard BBQ grill. Flaming flamingos and casual-day-for-cutters aside, you may not know that Tropical Goth is also a Brooklyn-based record label and dance party (of course it is). The Tropical Goth crew emerged a couple years ago from the minds of a couple of Bushwick’s Bossa Nova Civic Club DJs. The maestro of Tropical Goth is Shredder aka Chris Video, with Publicist, Food Stamps, Marcus Webb, Deadontheinternet and other tortured tiki souls dropping beats at select parties. Somehow they manage to blend beachy island vibes with dark industrial techno better than the best pina colada you’ve ever had on a drug-fueled bachelorette party in Puerto Rico. Continue reading
- Stories from the Rainforest, Universal Love, Cumbancha Flamenca, Vegan Dinner — What’s Happening, Greenpoint? (1/22-1/28)
- Classic Nassau Avenue Deli Closed by Department of Health
- Welcome Campers! Wild Honey Pies’ Memorial Day Weekend Camp and Music Festival Beckons
- Is Williamsburg Getting A Vessel at the Domino Development?
- Kimchee Market Closes For Rennovations, Plans February Relaunch