320 artist studios and arts venues will be open to the public on Saturday, October 18, and Sunday, October 19, from noon to 6pm. Get a sneak preview on the Directory of Artists. Additional special events take place during the weekend.
Greenpoint Open Studios kicks off this weekend!
Here is what you need to know to make the most of this Greenpointart-filled weekend:
1. You need a map:
Download here or pick up a brochure at one of the following HUB spaces:
We are so excited to announce that Greenpoint Open Studios is BACK and better than ever! During the weekend of October 3-5th, 2014 – 265 artists are opening their doors to the public in Greenpoint in order to build, sustain, and support a thriving creative community in North Brooklyn. Get ready for a HUGE weekend for art in the neighborhood!
• Sat. & Sun. 10/4-10/5, 12-6pm – Greenpoint Open Studios – All Over Greenpoint!
Grab a brochure at the launch party or at one of our designated HUB spaces: Alter Men (109 Franklin St), Alter Women (140 Franklin St), The Diamond (43 Franklin St), Cafe Grumpy (193 Meserole Ave), Van Leeuwen Ice Cream (632 Manhattan Ave), Fowler Arts Collective (67 West St) & Adelina’s (159 Greenpoint Ave), RSVP
Special thanks to Assemblyman Joe Lentol for his support and to the following local sponsors: Java Studios, Alter Brooklyn, Dirck the Norseman, Brouwerij Lane, Cato’s Army Navy, Paulie Gee, Glasserie, Five Leaves, Silk Road Cycles, Green Desk, Diamond Bar, Gowanus Open Studios, TBD.
If you are an art lover who wants to support GOS, kindly make a donation via paypal to Greenpoint Open Studios in the amount of $25.
Local business sponsors email arts in greenpoint (at) gmail [dot] com.
* Handmade Treasures Pop Up @ Daddy’s (435 Graham Ave) Saturday 3/8 at 1pm, Free, shop knits, jewelry, ceramics, and scarves, plus get a custom Tim Harrington (of Les Savy Fav) illustration of your spirit animal, there will also be custom pet portraits and custom knit patches (bring your fav digital image to be converted into a knit), with wares from Glitterlimes (real fruit and candy jewelry!) / Muffy brandt (hand-printed leggings, tops, and bags) / Andrew Almone (a.k.a the KNIT MASTER) / Juniortown Knits (hand-dyed yarn) / Jule Van Such (digital prints on silk scarves) / Jena Derman (Executive Sous Chef at Momofuku Milk Bar who creates amazing pastry-like ceramics) / Wowch, with DJ Knife Fight spinning 45s, RSVP
♦ Illustration Workshop @ The Living Gallery (1094 Broadway, Bushwick) 4-6pm, Free, Learn the core basics of buildling shapes, images and characters, this week the theme is the classic Greek tale, RSVP
* Steampunk Tea Party @ Word (126 Franklin St) 7pm, $15 suggested donation, Join author Gail Carriger for a reading, discussion and book signing from her Protectorate literature series, prizes awarded to best steampunk costume, RSVP
♦ Artists’ Reception and Ash Wednesday Worship @ Lutheran Church of the Messiah (129 Russell St) 7-10pm, Free, Explore this local collection of artwork modeled on the Stations of the Cross, RSVP
* Seasonal Home Store Pop-Up @ Home of the Brave (67 West St, #416) 6pm, Free, Have a drink while previewing the home store of independent designers, curated by Wolves Within, RSVP
♦ 60, The Collective Part 2 Art Show @ The Walk Way, Rebar (147 Front St, Dumbo) 7pm, Curators Frankie Velez and Craig Anthony Miller gather 60 artists to create 12” x 12” works, DJ’d by AnaMated, More Info
This past Greenpoint Gallery Night was a success despite the frigid temperatures. Greenpointers strolled the neighborhood seeking out fine art and good times. Photographer Fabian Palencia brings us images from galleries on the outskirts. Check out all the photos in this Facebook gallery. Continue reading
♦ People and Places @ Evil and Love Tattoo (211 Franklin St) 7-10pm, Friday 2/7 FREE, Check out this photo exhibit featuring works by Czech skateboard photographer, Hona Zima, a 25-year-old born in a small city near Prague, see his images here, RSVP
* Picture Farm Film Fest @ Picture Farm (338 Wythe Ave) 2-7pm, FREE, First ever PF Film Fest running Saturday 2/8 through Sunday 2/9, opening & closing receptions, Q&As w/directors and writers, a Sat. afternoon shorts, Sat. night documentaries, & Sunday Brunch. All Screenings FREE! Check the website for the full schedule & film details, RSVP
• 94th Precinct Community Council Meeting @ Church of the Ascension (122 Java St) 7-8pm, FREE, ask questions & chat with local police officers & community members
♥ Save Room For Dessert! @ Brooklyn Brewery (8-10pm) $5, Join an expert panel curated by Edible Brooklyn for demos, tips, samples, and a Q&A covering everything you need to know about sweets just in time for V-Day, More Info
♫ Young Yeller (LP Release Party) / Moon Bounce / Kazimier / AIMES (DJ Set) @ Glasslands (289 Kent) 8:30pm, $10, RSVP Continue reading
Greenpoint Gallery Night is this Friday 2/7 from 6-9pm. While in the past this map has only been available online for download, the Gallery Night HQ Galleries at 67 West St will have printed maps available for those of you still using flip phones.
Last week we introduced all the new galleries in Greenpoint, but there are over a dozen locations where you will find great local art on exhibit. See you Friday!
The first Greenpoint Gallery Night of 2014 is taking place on Friday, February 7th from 6-9pm and there is a lot of great artwork to see in the neighborhood. As an influx of new restaurants and shops seems to be taking center stage and giving us endless food and fashion options – lots of art galleries are also opening under the radar with works from talented local artists. And they are cool specifically because they are not listed in Vogue’s Girls Guide to Greenpoint. Continue reading
* Natural Makeup Class @ Brooklyn Groove (102 B Nassau Ave) 6-8:30pm, FREE, learn tips and tricks to create a flawless makeup routine that highlights your natural beauty, More Info
♦ Comic Book Night @ WORD (126 Franklin St) 7-8pm, Get the inside scoop on the comic world with experts Sean Howe (Marvel Comics: The Untold Story) and Time Leong (Super Graphic) with a signing and Q&A, RSVP
☺ Daniel Koren: The Most Important Thing @ The Knitting Factory (361 Metropolitan Ave) 8-9pm, $10, composer Daniel Koren’s one-man show features piano tunes accompanies by projected figures, paired with stream of consciousness in this bizarre fusion of music and comedy, More Info
♫ Belly Fire / Hard Nips / Roth Bart Baron @ Glasslands (289 Kent) 8:30pm, $10, RSVP
♫ Endless Boogie / Hans Chew / Syphilitic Lust / Ryan Sawyer @ Union Pool (484 Union Ave) 9pm, $9, RSVP
☺ Split Personality: Storytelling and Character Open Mic @ Over the Eight (594 Union Ave) 7-8pm, FREE, Put your name in a hat for a chance to perform a 5 minute story or character sketch, with special guest performers Leslie Meisel (30 Rock, Bachlorette) and Ben Rameaka (UCB, Wolf of Wall St)
♫ Prism House / Foxes in Fiction / Daytona / XNY / Palehound @ Spike Hill (184 Bedford) 7pm, FREE, More Info
♦ Uta Brauser– Human Matter @ Brouwerij Lane (78 Greenpoint Ave) 7-10pm, Opening Reception for the artist’s collection of line drawings, which explore the nature of matter and the traces of cell life
* Beauty Beyond Boundaries @ Villain (50 N 3rd St) 9pm-1am, FREE, Get free cocktails (until 11pm) in exchange for being marketing targets for the new Ricoh Theta spherical camera (which actually looks pretty fun anyway), featuring art installations, live painting, music from Kaoru Wantabe & Motions, a tap-dance bit from Tamango, and DJs all night, plus you get a camera to play with for the evening, RSVP Continue reading
* Natural Makeup Class @ Brooklyn Groove (102 B Nassau Ave) 6-8:30pm, Wednesday 1/15, FREE, Let’s be real, no one wants a face caked with makeup. It’s not a good look, unless your a drag burlesque performer (in which case, we’ll make an exception). Lucky for us, professional makeup artist, Tara Schwartz is hosting this workshop to share her insider tips and tricks to create flawless makeup, using special natural color cosmetics. Bring your ladiez and perfect that glowing, swoon-inducing au natural look, More Info
Did we mention it’s FREE!?
♦ #SELLOUT @ Reverse Gallery (28 Frost St) 1-4pm (and Friday 1/10 opening party 8-11pm), FREE, This five-day event will feature artists who aim to take on the fine art world, showcasing the artistry of selling out, featuring a specialty sellout cocktail (made of money and shame?), with free mimosas on 1/11 & 1/12 from 2-4pm, More Info, RSVP
☺ Abemixture’s Fancy Four Year Anniversary Soiree @ Legion (790 Manhattan Ave) 7:30-9:30pm, FREE, AbeMixture is celebrating its 4th Bday with music, comedy and free pizza, wear your fanciest duds for a chance to win best dressed (= free booze), RSVP
♫ Big Ups LP Release with Flagland / Mannequin Pussy / Washer @ Shea Stadium (20 Meadow St, Bushwick) 8pm, $8, RSVP
♫ The Shondes supporting Against Me! @ Music Hall of Williamsburg (66 N 6th St) 8pm, $20, BUY TIX, RSVP Continue reading