This weekend (6/8-6/9) is the Grand Comics Festival from 11am-7pm at Bird River Studios (343 Grand St). Admission if FREE. There will be a ton of Brooklyn and several Greenpoint comic artists exhibiting.
Our great friend Oriana from Brooklyn Spaces is making a presentation about her project this Sunday September 23rd, 2012 from 7-11pm at Animus Art Salon. Other presenters include: Bryn Larson of Oxheart, Laura Bluher, Irons Grishina, Murjani Holmes, ND’A, Bailey Catherine Dorothea Nolan presents BabySkinGlove, Linden Renz of Mad Sharpe Productions, with a performance by Finnegan.
There will also be: The Tube Party
On a recent family trip to Göteborg, Ventiko went bonkers for tubes and brought some back for us all to try! Come and sample all the delicious flavors—including Reindeer!
Low Brow Artique
143 Central Ave
One of our favorite community art events, the Greenpoint Film Festival, needs to raise $10,000 by Tuesday August 21, 2012. They are almost there after raising over $8,000. A few more generous donations will get their campaign funded by kickstarter. If you want to see the Greenpoint Film Festival happen this year, then take a minute to make a donation in any amount.
On behalf of Greenpointers.com we just donated $120!
Please take a minute (it’s so easy!) to pledge any contribution amount to make this fun event happen!
• Rally against Illegal Evictions & Landlord Harassment @ 191 Bedford Ave, 6pm, join victims of landlord harassment in North Brooklyn as they mobilize together and take direct action against shady slumlord tactics to displace them from their homes & community
♥ Dirty Dancing @ Summerscreen (McCarren Park) 6pm, Bands, Food, Music
♫ Shark? / Darlings / Celestial Shore / RElyse @ 285 Kent, 8pm, FREE
♫ Napoleon / Hard Nips / Visuals @ Big Snow (89 Varet St) 8pm, $7
• Food & Kitchen Swap @ KRRB Headquarters (99 Richardson St., 2nd Fl) 6-9pm, $5 Presented by KRRB, Local Roots NYC & BK Swappers, Bring homemade, edible treats and non-edible kitchen items to trade with food-obsessed neighbors, potluck, free drinks, Buy Tix
• Robots @ East River State Park (N 8th St & Kent Ave) 6:30pm, Town Square’s Summerstarz 2012 family music and movie series
• Art Auction for Animal Farm Foundation @ Gristle Tattoo (178 N. 8th St) 7-10pm, Silent Auction, Beer, Wine, Snacks, 100% of proceeds go to Animal Farm Foundation
* Newtown Creek: Past, Present, Future @ Flux Factory (39-31 29th St, LIC) 7pm, Eric Sanderson of the Mannahatta Project will share historical research collected on the Superfund site, with the aim of making information available to artists, designers, city planners, and other interested parties for widespread use in restoring its original splendor. Kate Zidar, Executive Director of Newtown Creek Alliance, will present information on the current state of the creek, including how community members can participate in materializing visions for its future, More info
♫ King Khan & The Shrines / Nicky Da B / The Everymen @ House of Vans (25 Franklin St) 7pm, Free
♫ The Nuclears / Starlight Girls / Backwords / Boy Girl Party / Old Monk @ Shea Stadium (20 Meadow St) 9pm, $8 RSVP
♫ You Are Here Festival @ Secret Project Robot (289 Melrose St) 8pm, $10, Xeno & Oaklander / Guardian Alien / Black Jeans / Uumans / Oracle
♫ Ancient Sky / Tournament / The Catalyst @ Death By Audio (49 S 2nd St) 8pm, $7
• Brooklyn Waterfront Epic Ride, 8am-2pm, ride from Newtown Creek to Rockaway Beach, Register by Fri @ 3pm
• Build Ghost Bikes @ Greenpoint Reformed Church (136 Milton St) 11am-4pm, More info
♫ Bushwick Block Party (Moore St Btw Bogart & White St) noon-midnight, free music (Andrew W.K. / HEEMS of Das Racist / Natural Child / Wild Yaks / Naam) free pizza, dunk tank, photo booth
♫ Yellow Dogs / Bambara / Osekre & The Lucky Bastards / Murals / Gunfight / Roadside Graves / The Dust Engineers / Lost Boy? / Red Bedlam @ Delinquency (1031 Grand St.) 2pm, $10
• Williamsburg Bridge Park Community Planning Workshop @ The Woods (48 South 4th St) 3pm, Williamsburg Bridge Park is a vision for a new 4 acre waterfront park for Southside Williamsburg. Help imagine the possibilities.
♫ Golden Animals / Shining Mirrors / Divining Rod / Lead Stones @ Glasslands (289 Kent Ave) 8:30pm, $10
• Free Movie: Last Summer at Coney Island @ Sternberg Park (Montrose Ave @ Lorimer) 8-11pm, More info
♥ CoEd Shuffleboard @ The Diamond (43 Franklin St.) 7:30pm, $3pp, 8 teams compete to win $100
♫ Public Enemy / Salt-n-Pepa @ Wingate Field (Brooklyn Ave and Winthrop St, Lefferts Gardens) 7:30pm, FREE
* Greenpointers’ Pick
♥ Pheremones Likely
♦ Art Event