Coconut Tomato Soup with Crispy Kale
Warning: This is not your traditional tomato soup.
Sure, it’s hearty and comforting, and it is definitely chock-full of tomatoes, but it also offers a unique richness that allows it to stand apart from others of the variety.
Thickened with creamy coconut milk and protein-packed chickpeas, this soup is just right for a rainy afternoon, lazy evening meal, or any time you need a few spoonfuls of home.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 can of cooked chickpeas
- 1 can of full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water (more if you want soup to be thinner)
- Heat oil and add onion and garlic. Saute for 2-3 minutes and then add salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Stir in tomatoes, then add chickpeas, coconut milk, and water.
- Add red pepper flakes and any additional seasoning.
- Simmer on low for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer contents to blender and pulse until soup turns thick and creamy.
If you’re like me and enjoy a little crunch with your meals, you can lightly coat some small pieces of kale with extra virgin olive oil and put them in the broiler on high for four to six minutes. Top your bowl of soup with crunchy kale and enjoy.