The East River Ferry is for many Greenpointers a great way to commute to the city and because of the recent collapse of the pier last week, you may have to find yourself an alternative mode of transportation for at least a few more weeks as the investigation continues.
A shuttle bus service has been announced that will take ferry riders from India St to North 6th St Pier beginning tomorrow, 2/18 during the morning and evening commute.
We spoke to Paul Samulski from East River Ferry:
Engineers are continuing to investigate the cause and we hope to receive additional information early this week. We’re working along with the NYCEDC and the India Street pier property owners to do our best to determine what happened and make the necessary repairs to assure that it won’t happen again. As far as a schedule goes, our best estimate at this time is that the entire process could take at least several weeks.
Shuttle Bus Schedule:
Southbound Morning Rush Hour Service: India Street to North 6th Street
First departure at 6:50 a.m.; additional departures every 20 minutes; final departure at 9:30 a.m.
• Stop 1: India Street ferry landing at the corner of India Street & West Street
• Stop 2: Franklin Street at the B32 bus stop between Noble St & Oak St
• Stop 3: North Williamsburg ferry landing at the foot of North 6th Street
Northbound Evening Rush Hour Service: North 6th Street to India Street
First departure at 4:30 p.m.; additional departures every 20 minutes; final departure at 7:20 p.m.
• Stop 1: North Williamsburg ferry landing at the foot of North 6th Street
• Stop 2: Franklin Street & Noble Street at the B32 bus stop
• Stop 3: Franklin Street & Greenpoint Avenue at the B32 bus stop
• Stop 4: Franklin Street & India Street
• Stop 5: India Street ferry landing at the corner of India Street & West Street
The shuttle service will operate for a minimum of two weeks, pending ridership. During off-peak hours, passengers may use the B32 bus, which regularly travels a similar route throughout the day.