At about 4am this morning the bodega downstairs and next door to my sisters apartment on the corner of Greenpoint & Manhattan Aves, had a serious fire. Thankfully, no one was hurt and my sisters place is a-ok sans smelling a little smoky.
It woke her up and she managed to take a bunch of pictures that I should have up later today. She spoke with firemen and people on the scene. The cause of the fire appeared to be bad electrical wiring according to first responders, but nothing official has been said yet.
Right now the place is boarded up including the apartments upstairs. GG mentioned axes being hacked through the place. I feel bad for the renters and just another reason why renters insurance is so necessary.
More on this later – with pictures from the scene last night. Also, if anyone has pictures they want to share, let me know and I will link to them as well.