* NAG’s Community Mapping Series: Air Pollution @ MS 50 Auditorium (183 South 3rd St) 6:30pm, FREE, Learn about local air-pollution-reduction campaigns in the neighborhood (BQE decking, trucking, garbage equity), More info
♫ Education Through Music Benefit @ Rough Trade (64 North 9th St) 7pm, $65, With Jennah Bell / The Dust Rays / J. Period, More info
* Color Series: Blue But Not Dead @ Wendy’s Subway (722 Metropolitan Ave) 8pm, FREE, The second installment of the “Color in Film” series, featuring Malá Mořská Víla, the Czech Little Mermaid, and Marguerite Duras’ short film “Les Mains Négatives,” RSVP Continue reading
Presentation Party Night
# BBQ Blowout @ Good Co. (10 Hope St) 7:30pm, $10, New York Sushi Ko doing some Japanese-inspired wizardy on the grill; YOUSS and his CPH crew will work the decks, Buy tix
* Style Wars Championship @ Glasslands (289 Kent Ave) 8:30pm, $10, Rising designers face off in head-to-head fast-fashion battles, with 5 minutes to rock a look from whatever gets thrown at them, More info
Wooden Houses, a Touch of BDSM, & a Zillion Art Openings – What’s Happening, Greenpoint? (11/6- 11/12)
♦ The Shape of Control @ Java Studios Gallery (252 Java St, Suite 308) FRIDAY (11/8) 7-11 pm, FREE, Group show featuring paintings, photographs, and sculptures that depict human interaction with nature, exploring the way in which reality is preserved and/or distorted through documentation and storytelling, includes work from artists Robby Rose (paintings of defaced sculptures of ancient Greek heroes)/ Nathalie Shepherd (paintings of idealized female muses) / Vriginia Ines Vergara (photographs wilderness dioramas through multiple lenses) / Divya Anantharaman (brings the animal into our environment with Black Bear Taxidermy), on view through December 6, RSVP, Catalog
• Muchmore’s Free Poker Tournament @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St) 7-8:30pm, FREE, ok gamblers, this one’s for you… except instead of losing money you get to play for free and potentially win a $25 bar tab (!!), RSVP
* GCEF Networking Event @ Polish Slavic Center (176 Java St) 6:30-8:30pm, FREE, network with community members who are applying for grants from the Greenpoint Community Environmental Fund
♦ Opening: John F. Moore Jr. @ The Habitat (998 Manhattan Ave) 7pm, FREE, Moore exhibits his abstract, trippy paintings, RSVP
* Greenpoint Designers MEET UP @ Broken Land (105 Franklin St) 7-9pm, there’s a lot of you design-y folks around here (I see you lookin’ all cool, working on your typography), how about you meet each other and talk about it over drinks and prizes and form a community, or whatever RSVP
♦ Daniel Johnston: here @ Reverse Space (28 Frost St) 7-9pm, Opening for a traveling exhibition of images taken of the iconic singer-songwriter Daniel Johnston by documentary/portrait photographer Jung Kim, capturing his life on the road and at home in Waller, TX, More Info
* Everyday is Like Sunday @ Nitehawk (136 Metropolitan Ave) 8pm, FREE, Catch a special screening of this Toronto film about “being young and getting older/drinking too much,” co-starring Nick Thorburn of the band Islands and formerly The Unicorms, the theme hits a little close to home, but hey, the Toronto Star called it “Scrappy but endearing,” RSVP
♫ Heliotropes / Flown / Black Lagoon / Beech Creeps @ The Acheron (57 Waterbury St, Bushwick) 8pm, $10 (I must be tired because I read Beech Creeps as “Beach Crepes” and got really excited/hungry), RSVP
What?! Free beer! Free food! Screen printing!
This Sunday, August 18th from 7-11pm, an ongoing lecture series, Presentation Party Night – will be celebrating its 3 year anniversary at the Bat Haus (279 Starr St) in Bushwick, Brooklyn. It was started by Dan Dreke with the help of a team of designers and artists from Brooklyn.
One Sunday a month, individuals from all walks of life come together to give presentations covering various topics on their interests and areas of expertise. Enjoy good eats provided by some of the hot food spots in Brooklyn and wash it down with beer provided by the Brooklyn Brewery. Did I mention it is all free?! You are also welcome to bring your own beer and snacks! To make things even more awesome, they are doing screen printing by Bushwick Print Labs. Bring whatever you want and they will slap on one of their PPN designs for you!