We are sad to learn of Manny Franquinha’s passing via the Crest Hardware (558 Metropolitan Ave) Facebook Page. Crest has been open since 1962, and as a mom and pop harware store, they’ve been able to truly bring the community together over the years. Crest has an annual art show, and is also known for Franklin the potbelly pig, who often makes an appearance in their back garden. Crest is more than a neighborhood hardware store, and whenever you go in there to buy anything at all you feel personally attended to—something that was important to Manny when he founded the shop many years ago. Funeral service details from Crest’s Facebook page: Continue reading
- Looking for Love on the G Train, Life and Death in Brooklyn — The Hook-up (2/23)
- Peace, Love, and Dopeness in The Bushwick Starr’s New Spaceship Spectacular
- North Brooklyn Development Meeting—Flooding Edition This Thursday (3/1)
- Weekend Art Roundup 2/23–2/24—Transgression, New Wave + An Epic Saga
- The Sea Train: Will Ferries Mean Smooth Sailing Through L-Pocalypse?