^ The Pitchfork Review Issue #5 Release Party @ Word (126 Franklin St) 7pm, FREE, Featuring contributor T. Cole Rachel in conversation with Fred Schneider of the The B-52’s, RSVP
* Tapeheads @ Richlane Social Club (595 Union Ave) 9:30, FREE, A gathering of tape collectors, labels, and enthusiasts, with cassette DJ sets by Body Building / Champagne Sequins / Yellow Maven, RSVP
Greenpoint Open Studios, Funky Warsaw, Oyster Festival – What’s Happening, Greenpoint? (10/01–10/07)
Michael Hambouz’ “Factory Made” Artist’s Reception @ Lobby Gallery (1133 Ave of the Americas)
10/02, 6pm, FREE
Presented by the Durst Organization and chashama. For his “Factory Made” series, Greenpoint artist Michael Hambouz hand-cuts paper stock from his hometown’s French Paper Company to create vibrant, abstracted scenes of the very factory where the paper is produced. The exhibition includes 18 new large-scale works, providing a glimpse into the operations of the 140-year-old paper mill by showcasing the production process and machinery. The resulting works celebrate small manufacturing, a geographical sense of home, and the simple, elegant beauty of cut paper collage. More info
Oktoberfest @ The Habitat (988 Manhattan Ave)
10/04 and 10/05, 12pm to 11pm
Celebrate Oktoberfest with two days of beer drinking and German food specials! Beers include Hacker Pschorr Oktoberfest, Paulaner Hefeweizen, Franziskaner Dunkel Weiss, and Reissdorf Kolsch. Plus bratwurst and Bavarian pretzels all weekend long! More info
Horror Movies in the Garden @ Milk & Roses (1110 Manhattan Ave)
10/07, 8pm, FREE
Watch Night of the Living Dead while sipping on some spiked hot cider. Bring a blanket & a cuddle buddy. More info.
* Craft Supply Swap @ Brooklyn Craft Co. (61 Greenpoint Ave) 6pm, FREE, Clean out your craft stash and take home some new goodies, More info
* PUJA for Peace on Earth @ The Ark (107 Green St) 7pm, $20, In this ancient ritual we will use sanskrit mantra, meditation, breath, and song for the purpose of activating peace within our own beings to be shared with all beings on planet earth and beyond, More info
♫ MeanRed’s Flex @ Villain (50 North 3rd St) 8pm, $10, With Lil Silva / Waldo / Tim Vocals / Neuport / Jason Scott, Buy tix
Coinciding with the closing of its “Former Islands” exhibition, Heliopolis held a poetry reading in its gallery space this past Sunday, June 29. An earlier reading took place last Saturday.
Founded in 2008, the small artist-run space lent a casual, cozy atmosphere to the readings by writers Christine Larusso, Ian Dreiblatt, Rachel Levitsky, and Carolyn Lazard, as well as two of their artistic collaborators, Alison Kobayashi and Susan Bee. Audience members, many of whom participated in the “Former Islands” exhibition, crouched on the gallery floor sipping beers and mingling with friends. In between readings, there were informal exchanges between the artists, writers, and curators. Continue reading
Slutever, Heavy Metal Laser Plane, Dark Disco on the Roof – What’s Happening, Greenpoint? (6/25–7/01)
• Le Ferre Extra Virgin Olive Oil Tasting @ The Tasting Room (108 Dobbin St) FRIDAY, 6/27, 12-6pm, Come taste Italian at Greenpoint’s newest specialty food shop that is proud to welcome Luca & Giuseppe Esposito, owners of Le Ferre Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for a special in-store olive oil tasting and demonstration.
* Summer Shake-Up @ Triskelion Arts (118 North 11th, 3rd floor) 7:30, $15, Variety show featuring dance, art, text, and movement, Buy tix
♫ Terrible Records Presents @ Wythe Hotel (80 Wythe Ave) 7pm, $10, With Soft Circle / Diamond Terrifier / Michael Beharie / VHVL, RSVP Continue reading