Greenpoint Tattoo Co. (131 Meserole Avenue) was started by John Reardon in 2011. The shop’s interior walls are covered top to bottom with sheets of tattoo flash designs. Almost all the flash displayed is custom painted by the crew of artists who works there. So just because you choose a tattoo off the wall doesn’t mean it’s generic. If you’re just in to browse, they’ll let the books full of artists’ work and flash tell you what you need to know, or you can follow them on Instagram and browse from home. Continue reading
The CMJ Music Marathon starts today and plays through Saturday at about two dozen venues in North Brooklyn. Here are some tips for navigating the festival, and some fancy graphs to show you the bands recommended by local blogs and publications.
With so many acts playing, you should have a guide you can travel with to help navigate CMJ. Fortunately, the festival organizers put some real thought into their smartphone app this year. It has an interactive map showing all the participating music venues, and it’s free. Clicking on a venue shows you the complete schedule of shows.
By clicking on a show name, you get a little mini-description of each band, and you can even preview songs by the band from within the app. Continue reading
You can find dozens of different birds right here in Greenpoint if you look for them. And this week you can help area researchers by recording what you see.
The Great Backyard Bird Count is an annual 4 day event that “engages bird watchers to create a real time snapshot of where birds are across the continent”.
It takes as little as 15 minutes on any day between 2/15- 2/18. Your data helps birds!
How? Just look out your window, or any location in Greenpoint, and count the number and types of birds you observe.
CMJ is a beast! Almost 1000 bands are playing (not including unofficial shows). Good thing we only need to cover Greenpoint.
Dates: October 18-22, 2011
• Johnny Marnel, Torn Curtain, Bridges and Powerlines, Dear Lions @ Pete’s Candy Store
• Skull, Occultation, RASPBERRY BULBS, Villains @ St. Vitus
• Pressed And, Noah Wall, Megafortress & Gem Club @ The End, More Info
• Avi Wisnia, BEL AIR @ Pete’s Candy Store
• Dead Stars, Nordic Nomadic, THE MAIN STREET GOSPEL, WEIRD OWL @ St. Vitus
• CHELSEA WOLF, Religious To Damn, Hunters, The Love Butchers @ Europa
• Gun Lake, ABADABAD, RADIATION CITY, SUCKERS @ Pete’s Candy Store
• Battle Cross, TURBID NORTH, Barn Burner, Skeleton Witch, KVELERTAK @ Europa
• Robin Bacior, SEA OF BEES, GABRIEL & THE HOUNDS, Patrick Bower, David Liebe Hart Band, Bird Call, Chris Riffle @ Pete’s Candy Store
• AGENTS OF WOE Record Release @ Veronica People’s Club (105 Franklin)
• Adam Arcuragi, Aficionado, TS And The Past Haunts, Alyson Greenfield, Stephanie Carlin, Seryn, Dog Soldier, Wojcik @ Matchless
• Tamar Haviv, Corner Youngblood, Ceramic @ Pete’s Candy Store
*(BOLD CAPS= GREENPOINTERS’ PICKS)
CMJ Guide to Brooklyn
Win Tickets to See Neon Indian at Webster Hall this Friday
FreeWilliamsburg: Unofficial CMJ at 13 Thames
Brooklyn Vegan CMJ Official Line-Up
Impose Mag: 2011 CMJ Imposition
The L Mag: The ABCs of CMJ
Senors Music: Anti Unofficial Pro CMJ Party
Brooklyn Paper: The Only CMJ Guide You Will Ever Need
BAL Presents the CMJ Showcase