Knowing no awkward situation is a quality I pride in myself. It’s why I love flying solo to supper clubs. A home-cooked meal among strangers is an exhilarating social challenge; not the case if you bring a date, a clutch during uncomfortable silences. It’s like jumping out of a plane without a parachute. You better figure out how to not be the quiet weirdo at the end of the table.
It’s not the food I crave, although I can’t recall a bad meal, as much as the novel company. For hosts and guests, it could be a recipe for disaster ranging from a nosey diner rifling through your medicine cabinet and finding (or perhaps sampling) your crazy pills to serial murder with a side of cannibalism. But the same way all meals have been successes, I’m still alive and have met many amazing people. I’m not talking about love interests; just online date for that. But single men listen up: if you want to meet a single lady, sign up for a supper club, they are packed to the brim with gorgeous women. And we all know good food goes with good you know what. And wine, of course.
• Cider Week Continues
• Greenpointers CMJ Guide
• Weekly Events Listing
• Collaborative Means@ Flux Factory (39-31 29th St, LIC) 7pm, FREE, A series of artists working collaboratively and collectively, relying on cooperative strategies for the realization of ambitious projects. Talks, screenings, and live performances. More info
• Smiths Karaoke@ Black Rabbit (91 Greenpoint) 8pm, 2 mics & some Cure songs available, too.
• Public Hearing: Open Space Alliance @ Swinging Sixties Senior Center (211 Ainslie) 6:30-8pm, discuss relocation East River State Park Concerts
• Pretty Things Babayaga Launch Party @ Brouwerij Lane (78 Greenpoint) 7-10pm, Jim Garnes spins you favorite soviet hits
• The L Mag & Northside Festival’s A Very Unofficial CMJ Party @ Cameo Gallery (93 N 6th St) 1:30pm-4:30pm, FREE, performances by Hunters, PUJOL, Widowspeak, Forest Fire & Heavenly Eat
• Supper Club @ Greenpoint Reformed Church (106 Milton) 6:30pm, $20, 4 Course Vegetarian Meal with Cocktails, plus performance by Holler, Benefits Soup Kitchen, RVSP annefay (at) gmail.com. More info
• Paul Duncan Opening Reception @ Allan Nederpelt Fine Arts (60 Freeman) 6-9pm, More info
• Open Call Show @ Greenpoint Gallery (390 McGuinness) 8pm, Open Call for Artists in all Mediums, win $200 & solo exhibition, More info
• Ugly Art Room Presents All That Remains @ Picture Farm (338 Wythe) Opening Reception 7-9pm, An International Collage Exhibition of Epic Proportions, Sponsored by Narragansett beer, Music by DJ Ning Nong RSVP
• BK Diggers 150th Anniversary Celebration @ McGolrick Park, 1-4pm, a collective of activists, artists and historians whose aim is to reclaim the psycho geography of our neighborhoods and expose ignored perspectives in history
• Tiger Beer Tasting & Pumpkin Carving Contest @ Crest Hardware & Urban Garden Center (558 Metropolitan) 8-11:30pm, $5 to enter contest, food by Brooklyn Kitchen, More info
• Vibes to Touch Open Mic & Art Show @ TBD (224 Franklin) 9pm, FREE, Performance by Aisling Peartree, Artwork by Rico Tomas, Poetry By: Fiya, Ada Reyes, Bert Tejeda, D.Limones, Jendog LoneWolf RSVP
• 48 HRS @ Camel Art Space (722 Metropolitan) 12pm-12am, artists meet for a marathon art-making session, sleep over in the space and exhibit their work the next day. The entire event will take place over a 48-Hrs, RSVP
• Newtown Creek Boat Tours @ Pier 17 South Street Seaport, 10-12/1-3, $10. Charter tours the length of the Newtown Creek. Buy Tickets
• Brokelyn.com’s Brokedown Throwdown @ Public Assembly (70 N6) 3-7pm, $5, Sixpoint Open Bar 3-4pm, “Yo Momma So Broke” Contest, Costume Contest, Mushroom Ride
• Carve for Farms Benefit @ Warsaw (261 Driggs) 4-8pm, $10 Kids/$12 Adults, a Greenpoint-Williamsburg CSA pumkin carving and food fest benefit for farms devastated by Hurricane Irene. Pumpkin Pierogis!
• The Mac Off @ Huckleberry Bar (588 Grand) 5-8pm, $10 to judge & eat, Free to compete: email info (at) theclaque.org, proceeds benefit The Claque RSVP
• County Fair Opening Party @ Orange Marmalade (421 Graham) 6-9pm, Vintage Men’s & Women’s, Kitchenware, Oddities, Whisky! More info
• Momofuku Milk Bar Book Event with Christina Tosi
@ The Brooklyn Kitchen
(100 Frost) Christina will show you some of her sweet and savory recipes and you can get a signed copy of the book at a discount, RSVP
• EPA Newtown Creek Superfund Public Meetings @ St. Nick’s Alliance (2 Kingsland, Garden Level) 20m, 4pm, 7pm, 9pm, An informal public info session hosted by the EPA to discuss upcoming field work at the Newtown Creek Superfund site as part of the first phase of the remedial investigation. EPA representatives will be available to answer questions.
Tags: all that remains, allan nederpelt, BK Diggers, Black Rabbit, brooklyn fork and spoon, brouwerij lane, camel art space, christina tosi, cider week, cmj, county fair, crest hardware, events, flux factory, Greenpoint, greenpoint gallery, huckleberry bar, james hancock, jen g, L Mag, LIC, long island city, momofuku milk bar, Northside Festival, orange marmalade, OSA, paul duncan, pete's candy store, TBD, the brooklyn kitchen, Ugly Art Room, vibes to touch, Williamsburg, williamsburg-greenpoint csa