The votes are in for Greenpoint’s Large Environmental Grant!
Last month we cast our votes on how to spend Greenpoint’s pot of $19 million ExxonMobil settlement money. Now it’s time to see who came out on top as the GCEF large/legacy grants winners! Out of the 13 prospective projects, 6 lucky dogs were chosen by you to receive a total of $11 million dollars in grant funding. If that wasn’t awesome enough, the selected winners come with an additional $23 million in matching funds. When everything is all said and done, Greenpoint will receive nearly $35 million dollars–that’s almost double what the state was able to squeeze out of the ExxonMobil suit!
So without further adieu, here are the winners…
- · Greenpoint Environmental Education at Greenpoint Library (Brooklyn Public Library)
- · Greening Greenpoint (City Parks Foundation)
- · Intertidal Wetland Project (Research Foundation of CUNY (LaGuardia Community College)
- · Greenpoint Eco-Schools (National Wildlife Federation)
- · Curb Your Litter: Greenpoint (Greenpoint Chamber of Commerce)
- · West Street Watershed Stormwater Project (Brooklyn Greenway Initiative, Inc.)
Congratulations to all the winners. Looks like we can finally put some green back into Greenpoint. I think we can all toast our glasses to that!
For more details on these selected projects or the small grant winners check out the GCEF website.