What’s Happening (11/16-11/20)
• Williamsburg Independent Film Festival (11/17-11/20) begins tonight. Screenings schedule
• Greenpoint Slideshow Photographers #1 @ Black Rabbit (91 Greenpoint) 8pm, a projected slideshow of Greenpoint photography by Kramer O’Neill
• The Yard Launch Party (The Yard) 6:30-9:30pm, Williamsburg/Greenpoint’s new Space to Work opens its doors to the neighborhood with drinks, food, DJ, and more! Featuring the unveiling of our custom mural by artist Marcelo Zissu, RSVP
• Anxieteam @ Tommy’s Tavern (1041 Manhattan) 9pm-12am, FREE, Anxieteam perform dressed as spray cans! Plus music by Jeff Kessel, The Oblique Mystique, and White Whine, RSVP
• Civic Pride: New Jersey @ Word (126 Franklin) 7pm, Get your Jersey on with Vol.1’s Civic Pride! The series, focusing on writers with a connection to a particular city, state, or region, returns with an event focusing on the Garden State, More info
• Yummy Eats Happy Hour @ Daddy’s (435 Graham) 7pm, an assortment of tasty sliders with tailgating starting at 7pm for the Jets vs Broncos NFL game: crispy pork belly, beef short rib, cajun crab, veggie & bean plus drink specials, More info
• David Brody @ Pierogi (177 N. 9th) Opening Reception 7-9pm, An exhibition of recent paintings by David Brody. Brody takes his time to develop abstractions that verge on representation and hover between architecture, biology and geology
• Lynn Talbot @ Pierogi (177 N. 9th) Opening Reception 7-9pm, an exhibition of new paintings by Lynn Talbot. Through them she continues to propose a visual and metaphorical dialogue between realism and abstraction, between historical and contemporary painting; in them realistic, small-scale still life tableaux share the canvas with formal shapes and text.
• Old Time Musketry @ Pete’s Candy Store (709 Lorimer) 9pm, Old Time Musketry will not wield American Revolution-era weaponry, but bring music that draws on the exuberant spirit of early jazz, the poignant melodies and soulful grooves of rock and folk music
• Watercolors and Other Things @ Yes Gallery (147 India) Opening 7-10pm, Artwork by Lorene Taurerewa, More info
• Idiots Delight @ Janet Kurnatowski (205 Norman) Opening 7-9pm, a group art show curated by Craig Olson
• Golden Works: Walker Fee @ Greenpoint Gallery (390 McGuinness) Opening 8-10pm
• Vinyl Release! The Middle Eight’s STRANGE LOOP live, on film @ Matchless (557 Manhattan) 8-11pm, Descend into madness with The Middle Eight for the most immersive, all-out rock show in Brooklyn, Performances also by: Friend of Mine, Abby Payne, Photon Dynamo & the Shiny Pieces, Ducky, RSVP
• Old Timey Camera Tour @ Veronica People’s Club (105 Franklin), 9am, FREE, Greenpointers sponosored community photography meet-up. We will load our old cameras with fresh film (if we can remember how) and tour the beautiful neighborhood. RSVP
• Trash & Treasure Sale @ Lutheran Church of the Messiah (129 Russell) 9:30am – 2pm, hop for clothing (all new), household goods, jewelry, books, holiday decorations, homemade holiday chocolates and so much more! There will be homemade cakes, bagels, hot dogs and coffee while you shop.
• Jasper Hills Farm & Cheese @ Eastern District (1053 Manhattan) 3-6pm, Free sampling of some of America’s greatest cheeses: the spicy Bayley Hazen Blue; the creamy, woodsy Harbison; the sharp, earthy Cabot Clothbound Cheddar; and more!
• Welcome Home Secret Project Robot @ Secret Project Robot (389 Melrose, Bushwick) 8-11pm, A group show featuring works by the Secret Project Robot Family in the new space, RSVP
• Healthy Heart Healthy Bones @ El Puente Community Health & Environment Institute (289 Grand St) A Free Community Wellness Clinic to Inform and Screen Women About Heart Disease and Screen Children under age 18 for Bone Problems. Schedule an appt, call Edda Santiago (347)532- 2809
• Crappy Cinema Council @ Public Assembly (No.6th & Wythe) 7pm, FREE, “We are some dudes. We watch crappy movies and make fun of them,” Theme: TRAILERS theme, More info
• 13 Thames, 3rd Floor AvantElectroExpectroExtravaganza @ 13 Thames, 3rd Fl, 8-11:30, $5, a truly diverse feast of innovative music curated by Michael Durek
• Ska/Punk Night @ Matchless (557 Manhattan) 7:30pm, $10, DJ Grace of Spades, The Pandemics, The Hard Times, Across the Aisle, The Rudie Crew
Brooklyn Fork & Spoon Singles Supper 12/17 Reserve now