• Dirty! Dirty! Dirty! @ Word (126 Franklin) 7pm, Mike Edison (publisher of High Times and author of I Have Fun Everywhere I Go) presents his newest book. A pop-culture history of girlie mag — from the 1950s through the end of the century when the Internet pretty much killed the thrill of the centerfold.
• Friends of Greenpoint Library Meeting: CALL FOR NEW MEMBERS @ Greenpoint Library (107 Norman) 7-8pm, New members needed to help raise the community’s awareness and enthusiasm about the local library, promote the local library’s resources and programs in the neighborhood.
• Bingo! @ Black Rabbit (91 Greenpoint) 8pm, hosted by Bobby Tisdale
• Recipe Project Book/Album Release Party @ The Brooklyn Kitchen (100 Frost ) 7PM, $35, One Ring Zero has releases Album/Cookbook, recipes froMario Batali, Chris Cosentino, Mark Kurlansky and more, a full length album, all lyrics the recipes themselves. Live performance, tastes form cookbook Buy tickets
• Ladies Armwrestling Challenge Part II @ The Diamond (43 Franklin) 8:30pm, $3 to enter, cash prizes to 1st and 2nd place. 1st drink free for competitors. DJ G.I. Jane, 16 spots available, More info
• Screening of Urban Roots to benefit Soup Kitchen @ Greenpoint Church (136 Milton) 7pm, $10, film follows the urban farming phenomenon in Detroit, popcorn, followed by Q & A with local growers and leaders
• First Fridays Shabbat Dinner @ Greenpoint Shul (108 Noble) 7pm, Join for a “nastrovya” aka “l’chaim” & Russian-style dinner after services. $18 members/$21 non-members.
• The Giraffes with Moon Rabbits / The Netherlands / Theeves @ St. Vitus (1120 Manhattan) 8pm, $10
• GreenpoinTrees @ Greenpoint Library (107 Norman) 10:30am-Noon, FREE, Join Trees New York & the Human Impacts Institute to gain the knowledge and practical skills necessary to care for your neighborhood trees. Enjoy a stroll through the neighborhood with TreesNY’s Certified Arborist and Education Director, Sam Bishop, adopt a Tree and take home a free toolkit!
• 3rd Annual PUMPKIN SMASH (& leaf raking) @ The Pile (Driggs & No. 12th) 11am to 3pm, Presented by North Brooklyn Compost Project, to volunteer email: northbrooklyncompost (at) gmail.com
• Bushwick Book Swap @ Pine Box Rock Shop (12 Grattan) 4-7 PM, FREE, Presented by 1441 Writers Collective, Exchange 2 for 1, additional books benefit prisoners across the country. Drink specials are available for those who bring dictionaries, More info
• THE BUILD UP @ Fowler Arts Collective (67 West) Opening Reception 6-9pm, an exhibition of new work by Heather Ramsdale, Gabriela Salazar, Sara Schneckloth, and Leigh Van Duzer RSVP
• NAG 2011 Neighborhood Gala and Fundraiser @ Causey Contemporary (92 Wythe Ave), 8pm-12am, $75, Dance, drink, and have a laugh while supporting NAG’s mission to provide a voice for everyone in North Brooklyn. Beer, Food, Silent Auction, Live Music, Buy Tickets
• NYC Marathon, runs down Bedford & Manhattan, More info
• Styling with Braids Class @ The Parlour Brooklyn (72 Greenpoint) 7-10pm, $30, led by Core Stylist Meg Costello, to book info (at) theparlourbrooklyn.com
• No Redeeming Social Value / The Krays / Creepout (from Tokyo) / Red Eyed Devil / Desensitized @ St. Vitus (1120 Manhattan) 4pm, $10, More info
• Stations Lost by Tony Fitzpatrick (Final Performance) @ Pierogi (191 No 14th) 7pm, Tony takes us through his childhood as a rebellious Catholic schoolboy obsessed with superheroes, reading MAD Magazine, and meeting Chester Gould through his adult understanding of the superhero mythos that leads him to strike out in search of the everyday superhero in the world via a journey to Istanbul, More info
• Impossible Urban Illustration, w/James Hancock @Pete’s Candy Store (709 Lorimer) 7:30pm, FREE OCD lecture, The NYC Dept of Finance estimates there are more than 900,000 buildings in New York. James Gulliver Hancock, an illustrator from Sydney, Australia, plans to draw them all.
• Idgy Dean / Giggle the Ozone / Hunters, Run! @ St. Vitus (1120 Manhattan) 8pm, RSVP
• ELECTION DAY, find out where to vote and who is running at NYC Board of Elections
• Happy 150th Anniversary, Civil War: A Lecture/Historical Beard Competition @ Public Assembly (70 No. 6th) FREE, Presented by Society for the Advancement of Social Studies, discuss the causes, major battles and after-effects of this big, bloody, mess of a war, then Beard Off! RSVP
• nbART’s Annual Autumn Fundraiser and Spring Project Launch @ The End (13 Greenpoint) 7pm, $6 Announce the winner of our latest open call, nbECO2012, which is an environmentally-conscious installation coming to the Greenpoint waterfront in spring 2012, live performances by easy lover nyc, greene girl, young heel, RSVP
Email events to greenpointers (at) gmail.com
Include: Name of Event @ Venue (address) time, price, description, link for more info/RSVP/tickets