^ Paradise Bought @ Triple Canopy (155 Freeman St) 7pm, $5, A reading and discussion of the mystery genre, the difficulties of ghostwriting (and of employing ghostwriters), the free rein of capital, the concept of xenospace, and more, More info
♦ Another F@*#ing Group Show @ Tender Trap (66 Greenpoint Ave) 8pm, FREE, Art curated by Russell Murphy and Andrew H. Shirley, plus music from Faces of Weed / Unstoppable Death Machines / Gowanus Mutant Kommandos, RSVP
♫ RBMA Presents Raw Sound Transgressions @ Output (74 Wythe Ave) 10pm, $15, With Merzbow / Genesis BREYER P-ORRIDGE + Aaron Dilloway / Pharmakon / Prurient / Ron Morelli / Marshstepper / Uniform, Buy tix
* Voices of Brooklyn: Between Wolves & Sheep @ Parables (334 Sough 5th St) 7pm, $15 suggested, Soulful vocals and body shakin’ grooves paired with stories of learning what protection truly meant in the of Williamsburg in the 80s and 90s, RSVP
♫ The Hunger (1st Course) @ Bar Matchless (557 Manhattan Ave) 8pm, $10, Hungry March Band begins their monthly Matchless residency, this month with Stumblebum Brass Band and Reggay Lords, RSVP
* The Strange Journey Through Every Bodega in New York @ Acme Studio (63 North 3rd St) 8pm, $15, Obscura Society presents one woman’s odyssey documenting an overlooked but deeply idiosyncratic NYC icon before it disappears, More info
* Burned out Buildings, Take Berlin, and Kicking out Money-Changers @ Parables (334 South 5th St) 7pm, $15, Learn the stories and sounds of your neighborhood, through local storytellers, musicians, and interactive art, RSVP
* Everything’s Coming Up Profits @ Spectacle Theater (124 South 3rd St) 8pm, $5, An evening of corporate ephemera with Steve Young sharing delightfully catchy, weird, and excruciatingly rare gems, More info
Haunted Canoe Rides, Death By Halloween, Cartoon Carnival – What’s Happening, Greenpoint? (10/29–11/04)
“Personal Truths” Opening Reception @ Picture Farm (338 Wythe Ave) THURSDAY 10/30, 6-10pm, Is there such a thing as an objective shot? Or is all photography fiction – a carefully framed version of the Truth? Personal Truths : Photo Stories That Help Us Find Ourselves, previously shown at 71A Gallery, in London, features the photographers Jonathan Mehring, Krisanne Johnson, Matt Eich, Guy Martin, Harold Feinstein, Shannon Jensen, Jason Andrew, Andrew McConnell
Halloween Bash NEW VENUE! @ A.K.A. Bar (759 Grand St) Friday, October 31st , 10pm, $10–$20, Buy tix
For two nights, party with no rules. No club dress code. No small, packed space. Just GOOD vibes (and even better music). Costume contest, music from DJ X5Rob and DJ Danny, plus half price on selected draft beers from 9–10pm. Get your tickets now!
* Bon Voyage Party @ Sunview Luncheonette (221 Nassau Ave) 7pm, FREE, An evening to honor Colette Lumiére and experience a mise-en-sceéne inspired by her incomparable installations, More info
* Obscura Society Presents New York City Bodysnatchers @ Acme Studio (63 North 3rd) 8pm, $20, Author Bess Lovejoy discusses the city’s early medical industry, cadavers, and a controversial past, Buy tix
♫ Ho_sacalypse @ The Ho_se (28 Lawton St) 8pm, FREE, With O’ Great North / Kneeling Bus / BRAT PIT / Florida / lots more, RSVP
How awesome is Acme Studio?
They have built a winter wonderland set for kids to interact with this Saturday, November 17th 10am-3pm (63 N 3rd St). They will have a photographer on site to capture the moment and will send parents a high-res zip file to help you get those holiday cards taken care of!
The entire event is free and their gift to the neighborhood. If I had a kid, I would totally be here!