* NAG’s Community Mapping Series: Air Pollution @ MS 50 Auditorium (183 South 3rd St) 6:30pm, FREE, Learn about local air-pollution-reduction campaigns in the neighborhood (BQE decking, trucking, garbage equity), More info
♫ Education Through Music Benefit @ Rough Trade (64 North 9th St) 7pm, $65, With Jennah Bell / The Dust Rays / J. Period, More info
* Color Series: Blue But Not Dead @ Wendy’s Subway (722 Metropolitan Ave) 8pm, FREE, The second installment of the “Color in Film” series, featuring Malá Mořská Víla, the Czech Little Mermaid, and Marguerite Duras’ short film “Les Mains Négatives,” RSVP Continue reading
Haunted Canoe Rides, Death By Halloween, Cartoon Carnival – What’s Happening, Greenpoint? (10/29–11/04)
“Personal Truths” Opening Reception @ Picture Farm (338 Wythe Ave) THURSDAY 10/30, 6-10pm, Is there such a thing as an objective shot? Or is all photography fiction – a carefully framed version of the Truth? Personal Truths : Photo Stories That Help Us Find Ourselves, previously shown at 71A Gallery, in London, features the photographers Jonathan Mehring, Krisanne Johnson, Matt Eich, Guy Martin, Harold Feinstein, Shannon Jensen, Jason Andrew, Andrew McConnell
Halloween Bash NEW VENUE! @ A.K.A. Bar (759 Grand St) Friday, October 31st , 10pm, $10–$20, Buy tix
For two nights, party with no rules. No club dress code. No small, packed space. Just GOOD vibes (and even better music). Costume contest, music from DJ X5Rob and DJ Danny, plus half price on selected draft beers from 9–10pm. Get your tickets now!
* Bon Voyage Party @ Sunview Luncheonette (221 Nassau Ave) 7pm, FREE, An evening to honor Colette Lumiére and experience a mise-en-sceéne inspired by her incomparable installations, More info
* Obscura Society Presents New York City Bodysnatchers @ Acme Studio (63 North 3rd) 8pm, $20, Author Bess Lovejoy discusses the city’s early medical industry, cadavers, and a controversial past, Buy tix
♫ Ho_sacalypse @ The Ho_se (28 Lawton St) 8pm, FREE, With O’ Great North / Kneeling Bus / BRAT PIT / Florida / lots more, RSVP
Sugar Sweets Festival, Howl-O-Ween, Ken’s Satanic Circus – What’s Happening, Greenpoint? (10/22–10/28)
Sky Bar & Grill, 804 Grand St
October 31 & November 1, 10pm, $10–$20, Buy tix
For two nights, you’re allowed to party with no rules. No club dress code. No small, packed space. Just GOOD vibes (and even better music).
Costume contest, music from DJ X5Rob and DJ Danny, plus half price on selected draft beers from 9–10pm.
What are you waiting for? Get your tickets now and come join us in the night!
* Weird Tales & Scary Stories @ Word (126 Franklin St) 7pm, FREE, With Christopher Buehlman / Tobias Carroll / Michael Cisco / Katherine Howe, RSVP
♦ Lone Stars @ 7 Dunham (7 Dunham Pl) 7pm, FREE, An exhibition highlighting four unique perspectives from young artists born and raised in Texas who have recently relocated to New York, plus free beer & wine all night, RSVP
♫ Rhythms of Africa @ Golden Drum (97 Green St, #G1) 7:30pm, FREE, Explore the rhythms of Africa through traditional music and dance, RSVP Continue reading
Kings County Fall Carnival, Tinnitus Music Series, Treehouse of Horror – What’s Happening, Greenpoint? (10/15–10/21)
* Elysian Urban Pumpkin Bar Crawl @ Brouwerij Lane (78 Greenpoint Ave) 4pm, FREE, Start your crawl at Brouwerij Lane and move on to the Diamond, Spuyten Duyvil, and Barcade, tasting different Elysian Pumpkin beers at each bar, More info
☺ Cause B Show to Benefit Books Through Bars @ Cobra Club (6 Wyckoff Ave) 8:30pm, $donation, With Will Miles / Robyn Schall / Gabe Morales / Tom Cowell / Adam Palmeter / Corinne Fisher, More info
Open House NY, Rothtoberfest, Beatboxing Championships – What’s Happening, Greenpoint? (10/08–10/14)
* Urban Existentialists @ Word (126 Franklin St) 7pm, FREE, With Justin Taylor / Brian Morton / David Ryan, RSVP
* Debut @ Knockdown Center (52-19 Flushing Ave) 7:45pm, $35, Merging independent music, contemporary dance theater, and large-scale art installation, Debut tells the story of a group of teenagers who break into an abandoned building on the night of their senior prom, Buy tix
# Savory Fall Pie Class @ Pie Corps (77 Driggs) 6:45pm, $75, In this class you will make four pies: cottage pie; chicken pot pie; braised potato, onion, and bacon pan pie; and pear, blue cheese and toasted walnut galette, More info
☺Tragedy & Farce Circus Freakshow @ Bizarre Bushwick (12 Jefferson St) 8pm, $15 suggested, Part of the Bk Wildlife Summer Festival, a fringe element event that pushes the boundaries of artistic expression and caters to the non-traditional, RSVP Continue reading
Crystal Jukebox Hymn, Mini-Zine Fest, Out in the Streets – What’s Happening, Greenpoint? (7/23–7/29)
* SummerScreen @ McCarren Park (North 12th & Bedford Ave) 6pm, FREE, John Waters’ cult classic Cry-Baby, with music before the film from Man Forever and White Suns, More info
* International Film Fest @ Socrates Sculpture Park (32-01 Vernon Blvd) 7pm, FREE, Screening of Umberto D., a neorealist masterpiece from De Sica, More info
* Poker Philanthropy @ TBD Brooklyn (224 Franklin St) 7:30, FREE, Twenty-seat Texas Hold ‘Em tournament to benefit the Wounded Warriors Project, More info
If you want to be irritated, watch this cringe-worthy music video, which is basically a knock off of California Girls, sung by a party girl who dances around Williamsburg in a Nets hat.
Bill de Blasio played it cool with Colbert this week and denied being a socialist (even though we all know he’s a communist spy infiltrating the city to spread universal pre-K).
Both GIRLS and Boardwalk Empire are shooting in the hood today. Speaking of which, have you heard of Film Complaint 11222? Local resident, Rolf Carl, is Greenpoint’s own film shoot monitoring vigilante, removing tape from irresponsible crews and keeping 311 on speed dial.
Parents can leave kids aged 9-12yrs in the capable hands of founder Marie Mamonia for 2 hours every Tuesday from 12 noon – 2PM when she will engage them in fun exercises and games that promote friendship, peace and unity as well as enhance empathy and compassion. Continue reading
Need some father’s day gift inspiration? There’s plenty of cool stuff to give right here in your own backyard! Here’s a short list of ideas (which is admittedly in no way comprehensive, as there are so many more awesome small businesses here in north Brooklyn, so feel free to add to the list of ideas in the comments section).
1. Tacos, La Norteña / Vamos Al Tequila 2. Fine craft beers, Brouwerij Lane 3. Engraved biz card case, In God We Trust 4. Nice new comb, Chopin Chemists 5. Vintage VHS, The Thing 6. Slice of pizza, Vinnie’s / Franklin Pizza 7. Fine colognes, Old Hollywood 8. Coveralls, Pop’s Popular Clothing 9. Succulants (a.k.a. plants that require minimal care), Homecoming (formerly known as Spina) 10. Donut, Peter Pan 11. Delicious cheeses and Keta candy, Eastern District 12. Sweet shades, Alter 13. A funny old tshirt, People of 2Morrow 14. Fancy and rare spirits, Duke’s Liquor Box 15. Beach tote, M. Carter 16. Pour over coffee maker, Budin 17. A nice rosé, Dandelion Wine 18. Polish chocolates, Slodycze Wedel 19. A whole, fresh fish, Pura Vida Stand at McCarren Park Greenmarket 20. Stool for sitting and pondering, Bklyn Curated 21. Basketball, BQ Sports 22. Cool kicks, Wolves Within 23. Vintage vinyl, Permanent Records / Academy Records / Co-op 87 / Records Grouch 24. Portable bike pump and other biking accessories, Silk Road Cycles / B’s Bikes / Greenpoint Bikes 25. Bobbers and other fishing accessories, Dream Fishing Tackle 26. Polish sausages, smoked meats, and pickles, Nassau Meat Market / Mazur Meak Market (and so many more!) 27. A good book, like this one about the Pogues, Word.
Illustration by Libby VanderPloeg