How many of you Greenpointers have your own compost bin? Or bring your food scraps to the Greenmarket on Saturday in McCarren Park? Doesn’t it feel so good? Do you get giddy when you see all the food waste that doesn’t get thrown into plastic bags and sent to a landfill? Now the rest of this city is finally getting on board and this will directly benefit Greenpoint and North Brooklyn.
When opening a new bar, coming away with a positive experience from a community board meeting presided over by a group hawkishly vigilant of both new liquor licenses and rapidly-vanishing parking spaces is no small feat, especially if in addition to drinks you’re trying to serve up a new pedestrian plaza.
However, sitting down with Etan Fraiman, who recently opened bar/restaurant Battery Harris on the once-desolate corner of Frost & Meeker along with partner David Shapiro, makes it sound like the easiest thing in the world – all you need is a little help from the DOT and a willingness to see your business in the greater context of the streetscape.
The owners of Battery Harris were actually tipped off to the DOT’s Pedestrian Plaza Program by the community board itself, and had nothing but praise for the city agency that not so long ago was referred to by many as “the department of No” for their conservative attitude towards innovation in street design. Continue reading →
WEDNESDAY (6/12) • OSA Community Committee Public Forum @ The Warsaw (261 Driggs Ave) 7-8:30pm, our chance as community members to bring your ideas for maintaining, improving and celebrating our parks in North Brooklyn,More info * Sailor Jerry Day – 102 Free Tattoos @ The Gutter (200 N 14th St) 7-11pm, 102 free tattoos in honor of the actual Normal “Sailor Jerry” Collins, the tattoo artist for whom the brand is named, choose your tattoo by throwing a dart – afterwards, a free shot of rum, RSVP * War Correspondents @ Brooklyn Brewery (70 No. 11th St) 7:30pm, $15, featured guests ABC’s Bob Woodruff, war reporter Janine di Giovanni & author Jim Frederick display their work in the world’s most dangerous conflicts.
THURSDAY 6/13 ☺ We Stole These Jokes From Dane Cook’s Dad @ Legion Bar (790 Metropolitan Ave) 7:30-9:30pm, FREE, a comedy show, “Make your Dad proud by listening to strangers tell awkward stories about their families” ♫ Northside Festival Begins, thru 6/20 – Check out Greenpointers Music Guide
FRIDAY 6/14 ♦ Northside Senior Citizen Center Art Exhibit @ Northside Senior Citizen Center (179 No. 6th St) 1-3pm, original paintings and jewelry hand crafted by members of the Center for sale, proceeds used to support the art classes at the Center * ‘Brooklyn Castle’ Screening @ Williamsburg Beacon Center (850 Grand St) 5:30pm, FREE, the award-winning, critically-acclaimed documentary about the chess team at Williamsburg’s IS 318, which has won multiple national championships, popcorn, hot dogs, drinks, Q&A with filmmaker Katie Dellamaggiore, RSVP ♦ Homespun @ the one well (165 Greenpoint Ave) 7-10pm, collection of mixed media collages by Vanessa Porter
SATURDAY 6/15 • Relay for Life @ CitiStorage (No. 11th & East River) 10am-12am, an American Cancer Society fundraisor with music, games entertainment all day long and through the night. # Chill Out! Vegan Shop-Up! @ Pine Box Rock Shop (12 Grattan St., Bushwick) 12-6pm, Ice Pops, Seitan Gyros, Nut Butters, Iced Chai, Fresh Salsas, Soul Food, Skin Care, Bug Repellent, Cat Toys • Eat Your Face Off @ The Diamond Bar (43 Franklin St) 3pm, Rusty Ralston presents the Bombay Jay Z Dog, Brooklyn meats India, 50 delicious dogs available ♦ Northside Art @ Williamsburg Walks (Bedford Betw. No. 8th & No. 9th) 3-8pm, temporary wall units, interactive installations and sculptures will be staggered throughout the block for live painting performances, graffiti and other participation oriented works. ♦ Five Windows @ Northside Town Hall (134 Wythe Ave.) 6-10pm, a multi-channel video installation that explores the fluid nature of urban space through a series of static, voyeuristic shots looking through windows into public and private spaces. ♦ Self Help @ Rawson Projects (223 Franklin St) 6-8pm, summer group exhibition Jocelyn Miller (Curatorial Assistant at MoMA PS1) featuring work by CONFETTISYSTEM (Nicholas Andersen and Julie Ho), Thomas Jeppe, Georgie Roxby Smith, and Pinar Yolacan, RSVP ♫ Officially Unofficial Northside Show @ Coco66 (66 Greenpoint Ave) 8pm, $5, Presented by Greenpointers & Supercrush Studios, Performances by Turning Into, Butter The Children, Old Monk, A Bunch Of Dead People, Del Guapo, RSVP
SUNDAY 6/16 * FATHER’S DAY! * • Daddies! @ Palace Cafe (206 Nassau Ave) 8-10pm, a reading featuring Hedge trimmers! Speedboats! Conspiracy theories! Drugs! and the following writers: Sarah Tomlinson, Sean H. Doyle, Aiden Arata, Kate Mooney, Jacob Perkins and Karina Briski
MONDAY 6/17 # Motown On Mondays & Yummy Eats @ Shayz Lounge (130 Franklin St) 6-11pm, soul music and soul food, RSVP
* Greenpointers’ Pick
♥ Pheremones likely
♦ Art Event
☺ Comedy Event
# Foodie Event
Did you find this event listing useful? Maybe you met the love of your life! Or you discovered a great new band! Consider making a $5 donation to support our weekly calendar!
Greenpointers.com relies on the support of local businesses, supporters and our readers.
This weekend (6/8-6/9) is the Grand Comics Festival from 11am-7pm at Bird River Studios (343 Grand St). Admission if FREE. There will be a ton of Brooklyn and several Greenpoint comic artists exhibiting.
Williamsburg Walks begins this weekend, when my dream comes true – an actual NYC street becomes a walking mall for pedestrians with lots of fun and engaging activities that don’t involve dodging buses or flicking off car service lunatics. I have said this before and I will say it again – let’s do this permanently on McGuinness Blvd!
The idea behind this series of car-free Saturday afternoons on Bedford Avenue is for people to use the closure in order to rethink their public space and to celebrate the neighborhood. The event is organized by NAG in conjunction with the NYC DOT as part of their Weekend Walks program.
Williamsburg Walks 2013 will happen on Saturdays – June 8th, June 15th & June 22nd – RAIN OR SHINE!
Bedford Ave will be closed from Metropolitan Ave to N12th. The street closure will run from 1pm to 930pm. Williamsburg Walks programming will run from 3-8pm.
NAG will give away the sod after the events. Volunteers who help roll it out from 12-3pm get first dibs, claiming the amount they will take, and returning at 8pm to haul it away. At 9pm, if there is any sod left, it is full on up for grabs
Email Ryan Kuonen, over at ryan at nag-brooklyn.org, to sign up.
Sing For Hope, a public art installation, has scattered artist-designed pianos around NYC parks – including our own McCarren Park near the Lorimer and Driggs entrance. This project’s “art for all” message invite everyone and anyone to play.
Artist Scott Michael Ackerman who painted our piano, calls it “More” and explains that, it’s been “an underlying thought in [his] head for awhile. To just do more with your time alive..listen more, love more, play more.. And just enjoy what surrounds you. Because it doesn’t stop.”
The piano will be in McCarren Park until June 16th, 2013.
I can’t tell you how many readers were writing in, “What is happening at McCarren Park? When will it reopen?” I wish I had the Mayor on speed dial!
What happened is that over the winter they spent about a million bucks to fix the drainage issues and repave the paths that were becoming “hipster lakes” during rain storms. And they kept their promise to reopen by Spring. The lawn is freshly cut, there are new park benches and the roses are in bloom. So now go play in the park!
☺ Funny Story @ Brooklyn Brewery (79 N.11th St) 8pm, $10, an evening of beers, laughs and weird times featuring, Amy Sohn (Park Slope chronicler), Ed Gavagan (NPR’s The Moth Radio Hour), Maude Sernas (line cook, farmer, tattoo artist and lurker) and Anton Shuford (comic), More Info ♫ No Joy / Weekend / Grand Resort @ Glasslands Gallery 8:30pm, $10, RSVP ♫ DJ HemingYeh and Cormac McBootay @ Manhattan Inn (632 Manhattan Ave) 11pm, FREE, Brooklyn’s favorite/only literary DJ duo returns spin a mix of Northern soul, post-punk, ’70s/’80s, old school rap and hip hop RSVP
♦ Elliott Sharp: Foliage @ Reverse Space (28 Frost St) 5/17-5/26, 7-9pm, Musicians perform Sharp’s Foliage: a long-form graphic music score that offers abstract instructions allowing for infinite possible interpretations, RSVP ♥ Broke City: Body Language / BFG / Sleepyhead / Figgy @Bizarre (12 Jefferson St, Bushwick) 10pm, FREE, RSVP
• Go Green! Greenpoint Festival @ McCarren Park, 11-5pm, FREE, Recycle your electronic waste, eco-friendly and educational displays, health & wellness tips & demos, arts & crafts, children’s activities, live music, More Info • Spoons, Toons & Booze @ Nitehawk Cinema (136 Metropolitan Ave) 11:30, $15, an afternoon of animated childhood favorites such as DuckTales, The Smurfs, Looney Tunes and Scooby-Doo plus choice of sugary cereal, regular brunch menu; and a full bar, More Info * North Brooklyn Takes the Cake @ The Brooklyn Kitchen (100 Frost St) 6-9pm, $15, Cupcake bake off to benefit NAG! Come to compete or just to eat and drink, prizes, RSVP ♫ Love as Laughter / Starlight Girls / Birthdays / The Feverbreakers / Honduras @ Shea Stadium (20 Meadow St) 8pm, More Info
• The Punk Rope Games @Newton Barge Playground (Commerical & Dupont Streets) 10am-1pm, $80 per team, suggested, feature teams of 4 in costume competing in 9 events, After Party @ Diamond Bar 1:30-4pm, More Info • Circuit Building and Bending Workshop & BBQ @ The Living Gallery (1087 Flushing Ave) Noon-5pm, FREE, Learn how to build and bend your own instruments, materials will be available and bring grillables, RSVP ♦ Language Objects: Letters in Space, 1970 – 2013 @Southfirst (60 N6th St) Opening 4-6pm, FREE, a retrospective exhibition tracking the evolution from early typewriter-generated forms to more recent four-color drawing poems in the work of American poet Robert Grenier, More Info ♦ Arts in Bushwick Benefit @ Grace Exhibition Space (840 Broadway, 2nd fl) 6-9pm, FREE, 50 BOS participating artists will be showing in this years Benefit preview and art sale, More info ♫ Shark? / The Woolen Men / Lame Drivers / Hippy @ Shea Stadium (20 Meadow St) 8pm, $8 RSVP
♥ Mac & Movie @ Miles (101 Wilson Ave) 6-11pm, FREE, Free mac and cheese (6-8pm) plus watch the Beastie Boy’s film Awesome; I… Shot That!More Info
WEDNESDAY 5/8 * Let’s Build A Garden For Greenpoint @ Diamond Bar (43 Franklin St) 7-10pm, FREE, Join the 61 Franklin St Garden for a fundraiser to build a community garden, bring donations - including tools, 20% of the bar sales donated, RSVP ♫ YVLTRS / Black Salad / Del Guapo @ Big Snow (89 Varet St) 8pm, $7, RSVP
* Brooklyn Brewery Night @ Barcade (388 Union Ave) Starting at 4pm, Celebrate Brooklyn Brewery’s 25th Birthday with a very special tap lineup, RSVP ♦ Q and Y: A Brief Comedy About Death@ Silent Barn (603 Bushwick Ave) 8pm, $8, Play written and directed by Theresa Buchheister, after/during the show you can drink, get haircuts, buy records, look at art, hang out in the garden, make out in the corner!RSVP ♫ Height / Eze Jackson / Handjob Academy / Zebra Baby @ Death by Audio (49 S.2nd St) 8pm, $7, More Info
♦ Greenpoint Gallery Night @Various Galleries, 6-9pm, FREE, As art fairs bustle away at opposite ends of the East River, over a dozen galleries open their doors, After party 9pm at Coco 66, RSVP, download map HERE ♦ Portals: A Series @ The One Well (165 Greenpoint Ave), 7-10pm, FREE, The One Well & HollyBear present a collection of mixed media works for your viewing pleasure, More Info ☺An Evening of Music & Comedy @ Death by Audio (49 S.2nd St) 8pm, $10, Comedians Chris Gethard & Dave Hill, music by Shellshag / Swearin’ / Black Wine, RSVP ♫ Heaven / Tennis System / Nightmare Air / Dead Leaf Echo @ Union Pool (484 Union) 8pm, $8, RSVP
SATURDAY 5/11 *Greenpoint Earth Day 2013 Festival @ McCarren Park (766 Lorimer St) 11am-5pm, FREE, Recycle your electronic waste, eco-friendly and educational displays, health & wellness tips & demos, arts & crafts, children’s activities, live music, More Info • Vegan Shop Up @ Pine Box Rock Shop (12 Grattan St) Noon-6pm, FREE, Vegan Shop-Up is NYC’s only all vegan pop-up market featuring the best small businesses around, More Info • Public Walk Up Paddling @ Broadway Stages Boatyard (49 Ash St) Noon-4:30pm, FREE, Short Canoe & Kayak paddles in Creek, More Info ♦ 2013 Arts Happening Series: A Guest In The Cavern @ Northside Town Hall (132 Wythe Ave) 6-10pm, FREE, A multi-media installation by Jesse Gelaznik, featuring video art by Rachel Blackwell, Dirty Churches will perform Music for Mirrors, RSVP • 5 Boros Basketball Fundraiser @American Legion 1771 (519 Leonard St) 7-11pm, $30, Great food, Live entertainment and dancing plus raffles! More Info ♫ Twin Sister / Empress Of / RElyse @ Silent Barn (603 Bushwick Ave) 8pm, $10, RSVP ♫ Charlie Nieland / Oh Halo / Hard Plastic Buttons @ Bar Matchless (577 Manhattan Ave) 8pm, $8, RSVP ♥ Collateral Glamage @ Legion (790 Metropolitan) 9-4am, FREE, favorite local bands and dj’s for this monthly all night dance party, rock and roll, cheap drinks! RSVP
SUNDAY 5/12 • Roots 66 @ Coco66 (66 Greenpoint Ave) 4-11pm, DJs Autovac & Subtexture will be spinning Roots, Rockers and Rocksteady, happy hour until 8pm, RSVP • Greenpointers Terrarium Class with Claire @ Diamond Bar (43 Franklin St) 5-7pm, $50, all supplies are provided to make a gorgeous terrarium to take home, plus a Sly Fox beer! Buy Tix ♫Marissa Nadler/Guy Blakeslee/Jozef van Wissem @Saint Vitus (1120 Manhattan Ave) 8pm, $12, RSVP
MONDAY 5/13 •Bad Movie Brooklyn presents They Live @ Berry Park (4 Berry St) 8pm, FREE, a fun, totally kickass John Carpenter flick packed with social commentary that’s just as relevant today as it was in 1988, RSVP ☺Broken Comedy @ Bar Matchless (577 Manhattan Ave) 8:30pm, FREE, Tevor Noah / George Gordon / Danny Kallas / Rob O’Reilly, More Info
TUESDAY 5/14 * Bootleg Cinema – The Great Silence w/live set by Morricone Youth @ Brooklyn Rod & Gun (59 Kent Ave) 8pm, One of the best and most unusual spaghetti Westerns ever made accompanied by a live musical performance, RSVP
* Greenpointers’ Pick ♫ Music ♥ Pheremones likely ♦ Art Event ☺ Comedy Event # Foodie Event
♦ I Stay Under Glass @ Picture Farm (338 Wythe Ave) 6-9pm, Photography by Grant Cornett, RSVP ♫ Bad Credit No Credit / Hard Bodies / Bueno / Rohypnotise @ Shea Stadium (20 Meadow St, Bushwick) 8pm, $7, RSVP
* The Audacity of Hops Book Launch Party @ The Brooklyn Brewery (79 North 11th St) 7:30-10:30pm, FREE, Tom Acitelli speaks about the history of Brooklyn Brewery, copies of his book will be on sale. Reservation required, email audacityofhopsbook(at)gmail.com, More Info ♫ Starlight Girls / The Suzan / Dangerous Ponies / Slutever @ Death by Audio (49 S. 2nd St)8pm, $7 RSVP
♥ Beloved Birthday Party @ Beloved (674 Manhattan Ave) 5pm-Late, Drink specials/Fernet-Branca Bicycle raffle/DJ group Kids With Snakes and a makeout corner! More Info ♦ Resurrection @ The Active Space (566 Johnson Ave, Bushwick) Opening Reception 6-10pm, FREE, Artists Katie Bell, Suzanna Goldenberg, Rachel Hayes, JR Larson, Matt Miller, Bridget Mullen, Rosee Tibbles, RSVP ♥ le BUMP: The Revenge @ Over The Eight (594 Union Ave) 10:30pm-Close, FREE, Get sweaty at the newest bar in town with DJs Mister Disco & Brian Blackout, RSVP
• Spring Handmade Cavalcade @ The Space (50 N.3rd St) 10am-5pm, FREE, Featuring over 35 local artisans, designers and crafters, More Info • A Four Roses Kentucky Derby @ Noorman’s Kil (609 Grand St) 2pm, FREE, Listen to the race over the radio, Four Roses Mint Juleps, best dressed contest, RSVP • Kentucky Derby Party @ Videology (308 Bedford Ave) 3-7pm, FREE, 3pm, $6 mint juleps and Derby pie, More Info • Kentucky Derby Day @Pete’s Candy Store (709 Lorimer Street) 3pm, Ladies millinery competition, Bluegrass blue-plate special, More Info • Kentucky Der-B-Q @ Mark Bar (1025 Manhattan Ave) 4pm, Kentucky BBQ
$6 Mint Juleps, RSVP ♦ Nurturing Nature Art Exhibit @ The ceeflat (988 Manhattan Ave) 4-10pm, Nature-Inspired pieces by Carla E. Reyes and Ian Montgomery, musical performances from The Devyl Nellys / Mission On Mars / Ghandi, RSVP ♦ Significant Matters @ Projekt722 (722 Metropolitan Ave, 2nd Fl) Opening Reception 6-9pm, FREE, artwork by Nobutaka Aozaki, Miwa Koizumi, Kenichi Nakajima, Andrew Zarou, More Info ♫ Phebe Starr / Clementine & The Galaxy / Bob and Martha @ Paper Box (17 Meadow St, Bushwick) 6-9pm, $12, RSVP ♫ East Bank Music Series @ The Episcopal Church of the Ascension (127 Kent Ave St) 8pm, $10 suggested, Performers from Manhattan School of Music’s put on an evening of contemporary classical music, More Info
SUNDAY 5/5 (Cinco De Mayo)
* Fading Ads of Greenpoint Walking Tour @ All Over Greenpoint, 11:30am, FREE, Join Preservation Greenpoint and photographer Frank Jump on a walking tour of the fading ads of Greenpoint, RSVP for meeting location, More Info ♦ A Lot of Sorrow featuring The National @ MoMA PS1 (22-25 Jackson Ave, LIC) Noon-6pm, $15 , Artist Ragnar Kjartansson sought out The National, to perform their song, Sorrow, repeatedly in a six-hour live loop for this performance, More Info • Cinco De Mayo @ One Stop Beer Shop (134 Kingsland Ave) Noon-2am, FREE, Complimentary Teacate & Dos Equis, prizes, RSVP • Cinco De Mayo Brunch@ Sindicato De Cocineros (57A Nassau Ave) 12-4pm, $1 fish taco, $5 tecate & shot, $6 margaritas, first come first serve • Cinco De Mayo @ Habitat (988 Manhattan Ave) Noon-11pm, Three Amigos playing on the big screen all day plus drink specials, More Info ♦ Works Cited, reprised@ Cleopatra’s (110 Meserole St) 3pm, curated by Olivian Chan, a set of reflections, deflections and thoughtful quotations linked through a shared involvement in a series of displays and programs at the Los Angeles Public Library, RSVP # Greenpointers “Cinco De Mayo” Sunday Supper #5 @ Beloved (674 Manhattan Ave) 7pm-9pm, $4o, special “Cinco De Mayo” Greenmarket inspired menu created by Chef Heather Cahill of Farm to Fridge, More Info ☺Run from the Police Comedy@ Muchmore’s (2 Havenmeyer St) 8:30-11pm, FREE ♫ Body Language / Pegasus Warning /#1 Kid @ Glasslands (289 Kent Ave) 8:30pm, $12, RSVP
MONDAY 5/6 * Greenpoint Landing Public Meeting @ McCarren Park Recreational Center (776 Lorimer St) 6:30pm, learn about Greenpoint Landing, 77 Commercial St, Newtown Barge and Box Street Parks
TUESDAY 5/7 *S.A.S.S. Presents: Historical Figures who Said “Fuck it.” @ Public Assembly (70 N.6th St) 7pm, FREE, lecture covers military leaders who gave up when the going got rough / abandoned construction projects / ladies who decided they just had enough, RSVP ☺The Trap-Variety Show @ Pete’s Candy Store (709 Lorimer St) 8pm, FREE, Dan St. Germain / Jamie Lee / Will Hines / Natalie Shure / Hand Job Academy, RSVP
* Greenpointers’ Pick ♫ Music ♥ Pheremones likely ♦ Art Event ☺ Comedy Event # Foodie Event