* Handmade Treasures Pop Up @ Daddy’s (435 Graham Ave) Saturday 3/8 at 1pm, Free, shop knits, jewelry, ceramics, and scarves, plus get a custom Tim Harrington (of Les Savy Fav) illustration of your spirit animal, there will also be custom pet portraits and custom knit patches (bring your fav digital image to be converted into a knit), with wares from Glitterlimes (real fruit and candy jewelry!) / Muffy brandt (hand-printed leggings, tops, and bags) / Andrew Almone (a.k.a the KNIT MASTER) / Juniortown Knits (hand-dyed yarn) / Jule Van Such (digital prints on silk scarves) / Jena Derman (Executive Sous Chef at Momofuku Milk Bar who creates amazing pastry-like ceramics) / Wowch, with DJ Knife Fight spinning 45s, RSVP
♦Illustration Workshop @ The Living Gallery (1094 Broadway, Bushwick) 4-6pm, Free, Learn the core basics of buildling shapes, images and characters, this week the theme is the classic Greek tale, RSVP
* Steampunk Tea Party @ Word (126 Franklin St) 7pm, $15 suggested donation, Join author Gail Carriger for a reading, discussion and book signing from her Protectorate literature series, prizes awarded to best steampunk costume, RSVP
♦ Artists’ Reception and Ash Wednesday Worship @ Lutheran Church of the Messiah (129 Russell St) 7-10pm, Free, Explore this local collection of artwork modeled on the Stations of the Cross, RSVP
* Seasonal Home Store Pop-Up @ Home of the Brave (67 West St, #416) 6pm, Free, Have a drink while previewing the home store of independent designers, curated by Wolves Within, RSVP
♦ 60, The Collective Part 2 Art Show @ The Walk Way, Rebar (147 Front St, Dumbo) 7pm, Curators Frankie Velez and Craig Anthony Miller gather 60 artists to create 12” x 12” works, DJ’d by AnaMated, More Info
(sponsored) Carnival Concert @ Warsaw (261 Driggs Ave) Sunday 2/23, 3pm, $25/$15 students/seniors. If you’re into classical music at an authentic Greenpoint venue, then don’t miss this! String players from the NY Philharmonic & international opera soloists perform the music of Lehar, J.Strauss, Donizetti, Verdi, Mozart, Rossini, Oginsky and Jotejko, not to mention a 30 voice choir sings Handel’s “Hallelujah,” PLUS Polish American Folk Dancers, in traditional costume perform “Oginski Polonaise,” Buy Tix
WEDNESDAY 2/12 ♫ Karlie Bruce / Tom Brosseau / Christy & Emily @ The Paper Box (17 Meadow St, Bushwick) 8pm, $8 adv/ $10 dos, More Info
☺ Stand Up Comedy,The Cause B Show VII @ Greenpoint Heights (278 Nassau Aveune) 8:30 pm, FREE, free beer with donation, This night of stand-up created by comic Kerryn Feehand and local community organizer Victoria Varney gets comedians together to give a voice to underrepresented causes – this one being the Northside Townhall. RSVP ♫ Q-Tip / Natasha Diggs @ Output (74 Wythe Ave) 10 pm, $15 adv/ Buy Tix
THURSDAY 2/13 ♥ Valentine’s Fete @ People of 2morrow (65 Franklin Street) 6 pm, FREE, Say I love you to yourself at this social gathering/artisan meet up, with floral arrangements by Fox and Fodder, nails by Joe Shep and 25% off Malaya Organics Bath and Body Products
♦ Art Opening: Recover Projects Launch with Tristan Fitch @ Rekover Projects (77 Franklin Street) 7 pm, FREE, See ”Before Intersections,” a collection of 50 new paintings with more than 150 geometric shapes assembled on wood by Tristan Fitch, MORE INFO ☺ Comedy Night with Seth Olenick and Friends @ WORD (126 Franklin St) 7-8pm, FREE, Join Seth Olenick / Jeaneane Garolfalo / Dave Hill for a night in honor of Olenick’s newly published collection, Funny Business, RSVP ♫ Exploding in Sound & Ipsum Present: Grass is Green / Slonk Donkerson / Heeney / Please / Washer @ Shea Stadium (20 Meadow St, Bushwick) 8pm, $8, RSVP Continue reading →
♦ People and Places @ Evil and Love Tattoo (211 Franklin St) 7-10pm, Friday 2/7 FREE, Check out this photo exhibit featuring works by Czech skateboard photographer, Hona Zima, a 25-year-old born in a small city near Prague, see his images here, RSVP
* Picture Farm Film Fest @ Picture Farm (338 Wythe Ave) 2-7pm, FREE, First ever PF Film Fest running Saturday 2/8 through Sunday 2/9, opening & closing receptions, Q&As w/directors and writers, a Sat. afternoon shorts, Sat. night documentaries, & Sunday Brunch. All Screenings FREE! Check the website for the full schedule & film details, RSVP
WEDNESDAY 2/5 • 94th Precinct Community Council Meeting @ Church of the Ascension (122 Java St) 7-8pm, FREE, ask questions & chat with local police officers & community members ♥ Save Room For Dessert! @ Brooklyn Brewery (8-10pm) $5, Join an expert panel curated by Edible Brooklyn for demos, tips, samples, and a Q&A covering everything you need to know about sweets just in time for V-Day, More Info ♫ Young Yeller (LP Release Party) / Moon Bounce / Kazimier / AIMES (DJ Set) @ Glasslands (289 Kent) 8:30pm, $10, RSVP Continue reading →
* Pop Your Cherry with Sailor Jerry @ Passenger Bar (229 Roebling St) Sunday 2/2, 8pm, FREE, Celebrate the birth of Steve Lewis of BlackBookMag with Sailor Jerry drink specials all night, and complimentary cherry tattoos (from Mehai of Fineline Tattoo) for those of you who always want to pop your cherry tattoo cherry (got it?), With DJ Steve Lewis and Special Guests
THURSDAY 1/30 # Breuckelen Distilling @ Duke’s Liquor Box (170 Franklin St) 6pm, Sample some gin and whiskey, made with locally grown grains ☺ Split Personality: Storytelling & Character Open Mike @ Over the Eight (592 Union Ave) 7-8pm, Free, put your name in a hat for a chance to perform a 5 min sketch or comedy routine, with special guests Frank Garcia Hejl (UCB) / Laura Wilcox (MTV’s Hey Girl) / DJ 106 & Clark, More Info ♦ Dylan J Clarke Opening @ The Living Gallery (1094 Broadway) 7-10pm, FREE, Revel in Clarke’s explorations of color and space as he transforms the gallery into an experience of geometric psychedelia, with music from KEN South ROCK, RSVP * BARC Fundraiser & Trivia Night @ The Diamond (43 Franklin St) 8pm, $10, revenues donated to the Brooklyn Animal Resource Coalition, Hosted by Gusty Winds with a bonus segment entitled, “Are you smarter than a drag queen?”, we don’t know what that question means exactly, but hey, it’s for a good cause Continue reading →
THURSDAY 1/23 • The Loaded Canon @ Brooklyn Oenology (209 Wythe Ave #106) 7pm, FREE, hear the latest works-in-progress from NYC’s rising generation of writings, while savoring drinks inspired by the words you’re hearing, live music from Teen Girl Scientist Monthly, RSVP • Greenpoint Designers January Meet Up @ The Pencil Factory (122 West St) 7pm, FREE, sip hot toddies and get cozy with fellow local designers, RSVP ♫ 5th NYC Busker Ball @ Spike Hill (184 Bedford Ave) 7:30pm, FREE (w/ Suggested Donation), Listen to the musical stylings of this curated bunch of subway buskers featuring Gabe Royal / Blueberryseason / Theo Eastwind Band, More Info
*♫ Johanna Samuels / Lip Talk / Lazer Cake @ Cameo Gallery (93 N6th St) 8pm, $8, BUY TIX ♫ Guilty Pleasures: Music You Hate to Love @ The Diamond (43 Franklin St) 8pm, FREE, listen to all the songs that make you nostalgic for the times you hated them, More Info ♫ Kiss & Tell 8 Year Anniversary @ Baby’s All Right (146 Broadway) 9pm-4am, $12, with performances from The Crystal Ark / THe Neurotic Drum Band / Analog Soul, BUY TIX Continue reading →
(Sponsored) * Natural Makeup Class @ Brooklyn Groove (102 B Nassau Ave) 6-8:30pm, Wednesday 1/15, FREE, Let’s be real, no one wants a face caked with makeup. It’s not a good look, unless your a drag burlesque performer (in which case, we’ll make an exception). Lucky for us, professional makeup artist, Tara Schwartz is hosting this workshop to share her insider tips and tricks to create flawless makeup, using special natural color cosmetics. Bring your ladiez and perfect that glowing, swoon-inducing au natural look, More Info
♦ #SELLOUT @ Reverse Gallery (28 Frost St) 1-4pm (and Friday 1/10 opening party 8-11pm), FREE, This five-day event will feature artists who aim to take on the fine art world, showcasing the artistry of selling out, featuring a specialty sellout cocktail (made of money and shame?), with free mimosas on 1/11 & 1/12 from 2-4pm, More Info, RSVP ☺ Abemixture’s Fancy Four Year Anniversary Soiree @ Legion (790 Manhattan Ave) 7:30-9:30pm, FREE, AbeMixture is celebrating its 4th Bday with music, comedy and free pizza, wear your fanciest duds for a chance to win best dressed (= free booze), RSVP ♫ Big Ups LP Release with Flagland / Mannequin Pussy / Washer @ Shea Stadium (20 Meadow St, Bushwick) 8pm, $8, RSVP ♫ The Shondes supportingAgainst Me! @ Music Hall of Williamsburg (66 N 6th St) 8pm, $20, BUY TIX, RSVP Continue reading →
Winter is coming here and it’s quite possible that we’re going to have another snowpocalypse on our hands. But hey, it’s a new year. And we’re not gonna let a little snow stand in our way, am I right? Here are some things to do on this here first weekend o’ 2014.
* Rise Up Philippines: An Art Benefit for Typhoon Haiyan Relief @ Bunnycutlet Gallery (158 Roebling St) 6-10pm, FREE, bid on a selection of “low-brow,” graffiti, pop, and street art through silent auction, all proceeds go to UNICEF Philippines, RSVP
* Swearin’ / Cymbals Eat Guitars / Low Fat Getting High @ Brooklyn Night Bazaar (165 Banker St) 6pm-midnight, FREE, More Info
*Yvette / Christines / Future Punx @ Glasslands (289 Kent) 8pm, $10, RSVPContinue reading →
It’s that time of year, when everyone you know heads to the suburbs to hang out with their parents and open lots of presents and reminisce about simpler childhood times. Either that or they’re headed to Miami to make us all jealous with Instagram pictures of the beach.
But while they’re getting tan and cozy, we have the city all to ourselves– from the born and bred New Yorkers to the ones who couldn’t afford an overpriced flight home, we make up the rag tag band of stragglers left to fend for ourselves in the metropolis over Christmas.
But, it’s really not half-bad. If you avoid the tourist top spots and head to some off-the-beaten-path activities, your NYC Christmas Staycation can be truly magical. Get ready for the NYC Christmas that makes Home Alone 2 look like a snore. Continue reading →
• Pictures With Santa @ Community Garden near the McCarren Park Dog Run, SATURDAY (12/21), 12-4pm, FREE, put your furry friends in their best seasonal sweaters (ideally you have one to match) and get your family photo snapped with Santa! Holiday card, complete.
WEDNESDAY 12/18 • How Metal Stole Christmas Trivia Extravaganza @ Trash Bar (256 Grand St) 7:30-10pm, FREE, Grinch it up at this black Christmas revelry, with cheap drink specials and bonus points to any team who comes dressed in leather or as a grumpy cat ♫ BestNewBands.com Showcase with Honduras / Shy Hunters / The Wendigo / Spirit Plate / Jumpers @ Matchless (557 Manhattan Ave) 8pm, $7, RSVP ♫ Every Time I Die / LetLive / Code Orange Kids / Angel Du$t @ Saint Vitus Bar (1120 Manhattan Ave) 8pm, SOLD OUT, RSVP # Rarities from the Cellar @ Diamond Bar (43 Franklin St) 8pm, $20, Sample craft beers from the hidden Diamond vault, while munching on smoked schevre and aged cheddar (drool), More Info ♫ Lilith Velkor / Larp / Dirt Bikes / (E) Motion Picture @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St) 8pm, FREE, RSVP