A new monthly dining event called The Epcot Series launches tonight at The Diamond. The Epcot Series will strive to bring a different international cuisine into the bar each month, beginning this evening with an Indian Buffet! Continue reading
* NAG’s Community Mapping Series: Air Pollution @ MS 50 Auditorium (183 South 3rd St) 6:30pm, FREE, Learn about local air-pollution-reduction campaigns in the neighborhood (BQE decking, trucking, garbage equity), More info
♫ Education Through Music Benefit @ Rough Trade (64 North 9th St) 7pm, $65, With Jennah Bell / The Dust Rays / J. Period, More info
* Color Series: Blue But Not Dead @ Wendy’s Subway (722 Metropolitan Ave) 8pm, FREE, The second installment of the “Color in Film” series, featuring Malá Mořská Víla, the Czech Little Mermaid, and Marguerite Duras’ short film “Les Mains Négatives,” RSVP Continue reading
Open House NY, Rothtoberfest, Beatboxing Championships – What’s Happening, Greenpoint? (10/08–10/14)
* Urban Existentialists @ Word (126 Franklin St) 7pm, FREE, With Justin Taylor / Brian Morton / David Ryan, RSVP
* Debut @ Knockdown Center (52-19 Flushing Ave) 7:45pm, $35, Merging independent music, contemporary dance theater, and large-scale art installation, Debut tells the story of a group of teenagers who break into an abandoned building on the night of their senior prom, Buy tix
Roll-up, roll-up! Get your tickets for this amazing event happening this Sunday at 3pm at Diamond Bar.
Fanatical teams of home brewers will be serving up their special brews paired with tasty snack accompaniments. Ticket-holders get to taste them all and vote for the best!!
Also, for a change, you get to drink for a good cause: All proceeds will be donated to GROW TO LEARN NYC, the school gardens program.
Tickets are $20 in advance HERE …. or$25 on the door.
Greenpoint Open Studios, Funky Warsaw, Oyster Festival – What’s Happening, Greenpoint? (10/01–10/07)
Michael Hambouz’ “Factory Made” Artist’s Reception @ Lobby Gallery (1133 Ave of the Americas)
10/02, 6pm, FREE
Presented by the Durst Organization and chashama. For his “Factory Made” series, Greenpoint artist Michael Hambouz hand-cuts paper stock from his hometown’s French Paper Company to create vibrant, abstracted scenes of the very factory where the paper is produced. The exhibition includes 18 new large-scale works, providing a glimpse into the operations of the 140-year-old paper mill by showcasing the production process and machinery. The resulting works celebrate small manufacturing, a geographical sense of home, and the simple, elegant beauty of cut paper collage. More info
Oktoberfest @ The Habitat (988 Manhattan Ave)
10/04 and 10/05, 12pm to 11pm
Celebrate Oktoberfest with two days of beer drinking and German food specials! Beers include Hacker Pschorr Oktoberfest, Paulaner Hefeweizen, Franziskaner Dunkel Weiss, and Reissdorf Kolsch. Plus bratwurst and Bavarian pretzels all weekend long! More info
Horror Movies in the Garden @ Milk & Roses (1110 Manhattan Ave)
10/07, 8pm, FREE
Watch Night of the Living Dead while sipping on some spiked hot cider. Bring a blanket & a cuddle buddy. More info.
* Craft Supply Swap @ Brooklyn Craft Co. (61 Greenpoint Ave) 6pm, FREE, Clean out your craft stash and take home some new goodies, More info
* PUJA for Peace on Earth @ The Ark (107 Green St) 7pm, $20, In this ancient ritual we will use sanskrit mantra, meditation, breath, and song for the purpose of activating peace within our own beings to be shared with all beings on planet earth and beyond, More info
♫ MeanRed’s Flex @ Villain (50 North 3rd St) 8pm, $10, With Lil Silva / Waldo / Tim Vocals / Neuport / Jason Scott, Buy tix
Greenpoint Film Festival, Rock the Pulaski, Animamus Art Salon – What’s Happening, Greenpoint? (9/17–9/23)
* War Correspondents @ Brooklyn Brewery (79 North 11th St) 7:30pm, $25, New Yorker staff writer Philip Gourevitch will be interviewed by Brooklyn Brewery founder and former AP Middle East correspondent Steve Hindy, More info
* Wunderkind Trivia Night @ Verboten (54 North 11th St) 8pm, FREE, A heated, team-based battle of wits that will test both your brain and your liver with challenging questions and cool prizes, More info
Studio Sawada’s “Thaw” @ Picture Farm (338 Wythe Ave), FRIDAY 9/5, FREE, installation by Japanese artist duo, Studio Sawada, and curated by Kanae Maeda, thousands of ice sculptures will cool you off from NYC’s late summer, made with special processed clear acrylic, each piece is uniquely constructed.
♥ Queer Porn Underground @ Spectacle Theatre (124 South 3rd St) 8pm, $5, A showcase of experimental, D.I.Y and underground queer x-rated films, RSVP
☺The Regulars Comedy Show @ The Creek & the Cave (10-93 Jackson Ave) 10pm, FREE, Great comics gather together to hang out, tell jokes, and end humpday on the right note, More info
Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it’s grilled cheese!! And you could be catching one for your lunch this week…
Earlier this year there was a miniature ruckus in the fast food world when it was announced that Jafflechutes, an innovative Melbourne-based grilled cheese concept, would be coming to NYC.
The idea behind Jafflechutes (Jaffle being the crazy Aussie term for grilled cheese) is to hurl pre-ordered grilled cheese sandwiches attached to mini-parachutes out of the sky and into the waiting arms of hungry punters. You can watch a cutesy video here of the operation in action. Continue reading
# BBQ Blowout @ Good Co. (10 Hope St) 7:30pm, $10, New York Sushi Ko doing some Japanese-inspired wizardy on the grill; YOUSS and his CPH crew will work the decks, Buy tix
* Style Wars Championship @ Glasslands (289 Kent Ave) 8:30pm, $10, Rising designers face off in head-to-head fast-fashion battles, with 5 minutes to rock a look from whatever gets thrown at them, More info
Parties are nice. Free beers are even nicer. And Greenpoint Open Studios is best. Join us at The Diamond Bar (43 Franklin St) this Friday, August 15th from 7-10pm for the GOS Sign Up Party/Info Session. Artists who sign up on 8/15 will get a free beer courtesy of The Diamond Bar! (Plus, there will be music and art to enjoy) For those who want more info, we will do a brief talk about how open studios will work this year, take questions and get your awesome feedback. Party on!