WEDNESDAY 8/12 * SummerScreen:Labyrinth @ McCarren Park (776 Lorimer St) 6pm, FREE, The final SummerScreen of the season, More info
^ Poets at theYard @The Yard (33 Nassau Ave) 7pm, FREE, With Russell Dillon, Mary Donnelly, Megin Jimenez, and Nicholas Adamski, More info
* Brooklyn Theater Club’s “The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee” @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St) 9pm, $15, An eclectic group of six mid-pubescents vie for the spelling championship of a lifetime, More info
THURSDAY 8/13 ♦ Brooklyn Comedy Fest Pre-Show Art Exhibit @ Cloud City (85 North 1st St) 6pm, FREE, Fine art, comedy photography, and more, RSVP
* Dream Tea Ceremony @ Golden Drum (97 Green St) 7pm, $20, Challenge your inner shamanic warrior, your sense of space, time and direction as you step in into the magic of dreamtime, RSVP ♫ House of Vans Presents @ House of Vans (25 Franklin St) 8pm, FREE, With Julian Casablancas + The Voidz / Cherry Glazerr / Ballzy, More info
WEDNESDAY 8/06 * SummerScreen Presents The Big Lebowski@ McCarren Park (Bedford Ave & North 12th St) 6pm, FREE, With live music before the film presented by Showpaper, More info
* Rooftop Films Presents Forest of the Dancing Spirits @ Socrates Sculpture Park (32-01 Vernon Blvd) 8pm, FREE, Filmmaker Linda Västrik provides a glimpse at a culture so ancient that its denizens still inhabit the mythic world, More info
* Arrested Development Bingo @ Videology (308 Bedford Ave) 8:30, FREE, Come as a “never-nude” and get a free drink and a frozen banana, More info
WEDNESDAY 7/23 * SummerScreen @ McCarren Park (North 12th & Bedford Ave) 6pm, FREE, John Waters’ cult classic Cry-Baby, with music before the film from Man Forever and White Suns, More info * International Film Fest @ Socrates Sculpture Park (32-01 Vernon Blvd) 7pm, FREE, Screening of Umberto D., a neorealist masterpiece from De Sica, More info
* Poker Philanthropy @ TBD Brooklyn (224 Franklin St) 7:30, FREE, Twenty-seat Texas Hold ‘Em tournament to benefit the Wounded Warriors Project, More info
WEDNESDAY 7/09 * SummerScreen: Back to the Future@ McCarren Park (North 12th & Lorimer St) 6pm, FREE, With pre-movie music by Tonstartssbandht and The Dreebs presented by Showpaper, RSVP ♫ Mark Kraus @ Pete’s Candy Store (709 Lorimer St) 10pm, FREE, In his first show in three years, Mark will play songs from his upcoming record “The Depths,” RSVP
I know, I know – Cory Feldman in the 80s… but I am more interested in the food options at tonight’s Summerscreen at McCarren Park! Bring a chair and a bib.
Handsome Hanks has my kind of menu – everything and anything is fried – except the cole slaw. Fried fish, fried crab, fried shrimp. You’re going to get some kind of seafood and I can guarantee it’s going to be fried. And if that’s not enough fried – they have french fries. Hallelujah!
It’s no surprise that Landhaus’ favorite Goonies character is Chunk – they serve Grilled Maple Bacon Sticks, which were voted best Bacon in NYC by Village Voice. Quite an honor. They will also be flipping grass-fed Cheeseburgers and Lamb Burgers (with some pork back fat on it) – and of course their signature Fresh Mint Lemonade.
No surprises here but Pizza Moto and beer and a movie from when you were four makes for a great Wednesday night.
Representing Greenpoint Selamat Pagi will be focusing on their Bali Style Wings, plus vegan Lawar Salad of long beans, lime and coconut, Beef Rendang, which is spicy beef curry with pickles and rice and a Tamarind Fizz drink.
FRIDAY 8/10 ♫ An Evening with Cake @ Williamsburg Park (50 Kent Avenue) 6pm, Buy Tix
• GymD8ter Speed Dating @ Human@Ease (31 Nassau Ave) 7pm, $35, spend the evening working out and getting to know someone new before we head next door for drinks and a late happy hour, h’orderves & drinks all night
♦ Amanda LaMarco Artist Opening @ The One Well (165 Greenpoint Ave) 7-10pm, live music by Baba Yaga (unplugged), local fine art, and delicious wine & cheese, RSVP
♦ Kickoff Party for the Fall Fundraiser @ Vaudeville Park (26 Bushwick Ave) 7:30pm, FREE, super fancy cocktails, live DJ sets by Baby Copperhead, Blake 0, and Joey Johnson
♫ Cruel Summer 80s Dance Party @ Bell House (149 7th St., Gowanus) 8am-2pm, $10, More info ♫ Darlings, Sundelles, Automotive Highschool @ Glasslands (289 Kent Ave) 8:30pm, $8
SATURDAY 8/11 * Open Canoe Paddle @ NBBC Boatyard (49 Ash St) 4:30-7:30pm, More info ♫ Chappo / The Terror Pigeon Dance Revolt @ Delinquency (1031 Grand St.) 8pm
SUNDAY 8/12 • Monthly Meeting for Friends of McGolrick Park @ (McGolrick Park Pavilion) 1pm, decide how we’re going to spend our Exxon money and raise some more, RSVP
MONDAY 8/14 • Words by the Water: Melville House Night @ East River State Park (Kent Avenue at N. 9th St) 7-8pm, Free, outdoor reading series, More info
TUESDAY 8/15 * The Last Bohemia with Robert Anasi @ Word (126 Franklin St) 7pm, Anasi lived in Williamsburg from the early ’90s to the late 2000s and witnessed first-hand the rapid changes in the neighborhood. Come talk local history with him as he presents his memoir. ♫ Publicist, Free Blood, TV Baby, DJ DirtyFinger @ Death By Audio (49 S 2nd St) 8pm, $7 • Dalaga What Not To Wear Viewing Party @ TBD (224 Franklin St) 10-11pm, watch the premiere of Dalaga on What Not To on their amazing big screen TVs and projection screen! ♫ Zebros @ Pete’s Candy Store (709 Lorimer St) 11pm, RSVP
* Greenpointers’ Pick
♥ Pheremones Likely
♦ Art Event