First dates are tough, its your one shot at convincing another person, temporarily at least, that your nails always look this manicured, your jokes are always this funny and anytime you ever say, “I’m going to the bathroom,” what you’re really saying is, “I only pee and I have never taken a shit in my entire life.” Continue reading
I was 17 in the snow. It was the winter of 2004, new to college, and new to love. Who knew that I would get stuck in a Greenpoint apartment that winter rekindling a high school love? Beginning with a lost cellphone at the Royal Oak, to his bedroom in his loft apartment on Sutton, to Nassau Avenue, a little 1950′s diner we would call B’s on the corner of N Henry, and the swings in McGolrick park.
So to the Greenpointers who have fallin’ in love if once, if ever, if by chance, let’s scribe our loves into a poem.
And remember: we don’t just fall in love with people. Many of us fell in love, are still in love or fell out of love with Greenpoint.
Due February 10th @ 5pm, send us one of your poems, and let’s make this Valentine’s Day a brim to the hat to the nod toward love.
The winner, whose poem will be published on Greenpointers.com on the February 14th, will be a featured reader at Poetry Teachers NYC’s Monthly reading at Milk and Roses in February.
One last thing. Sometimes the best thing about falling in love is the story. Single or together this year, remember the place that landmarked your love.
Audubon Retweet, Free CMJ Shows, Dupont Fire, Bike Fines, 10 Towers, Graham Ave Sleaze: The Hook-Up 10/13
North Brooklyn News
• DNA Info: Williamsburg Antique Store Owner Arrested for Alleged Sexual Assault: Greenpointers had a lot to say about “this guy” Joseph Loiacono (left) on our Facebook page.
• ABC Local: Vehicle hits woman, 2 children in East Williamsburg - Neighbors literally pulled victims from underneath the crash.
• Running red lights ain’t worth it, according to Gothamist Cyclist Slapped With $1,555 In Fines During A Single Traffic Stop
• Grub Street: Greenpoint’s No Name Bar Swaps Out Ramen for Thai Fishball Noodle Soup. Food service starts at 4pm; we cannot wait to try the new menu (above).
Greenpoint Real Estate Development
In Response to Our Story “Huge Greenpoint Development Underway?”:
• Greenpointers’ upcoming show at Delinquency was listed on Brokleyn’s Your Complete Guide to Free Shows at the CMJ 2012 Music Marathon!
• @LincolnRestler tweeted: “Against all odds – after every last valid ballot was counted, we have won by 53 votes! Can’t thank you enough for extraordinary support!”
• Brooklyn Vegan: Forbes lists Williamsburg, Brooklyn as the third “hippest hipster” nabe
DIAMOND #1 DRAFT BAR, FARE TRADE NYC, 30 DAYS GROCERY FREE, DOMINO EFFECT, NO ROOM TO DIE: THE HOOK-UP 9/1
• Via Brooklyn Based Facebook: “One of the many strange vehicles made in BK in preparation for Burning Man next week. These are Love Buggies made by the studio Overkill, spotted on Morgan Ave.”
• Free Williamsburg: Sleigh Bells Host Anthony Bourdain in Austin on “No Reservations”
• Brooklyn Paper: Vito Lopez groped and tried to kiss workers, Albany ethics panel says
• Poopy Hudson River Threatens NYC’s First Ever Ironman : Gothamist
• Kickstarter Is Moving to Landmarked Factory in Greenpoint : Brownstoner
• People Eating Less of that Nasty Meat : Gawker
• Guide To Greenpoint: Top Reasons To Visit Brooklyn : Guest of a Guest
• Brooklyn Based: It’s Not Easy Getting Green, Brooklyn’s Biggest Park Advocates
• Bushwick Daily: Molasses Books: Bushwick Finally Gets a Bookstore
• Via The Yard: 7 Simple Tools to Keep Your Start-up Organized
• Boing Boing: Why one mutation can protect people from HIV
• Bushwick Daily: How To Survive A Summer Eviction
The big news this past week was pool fights. It’s getting old…
• KRRB: Brooklyn Batched — Local Foodies/Guilty Pleasures (video)
• Gothamist: Another Day, Another McCarren Park Pool Melee
• Animal New York: I Should Have Shot That: Clayton Patterson’s Bloodless Bullet Hole