If your dog (ahem or you) are looking for some fun and positive socializing, then head over to McGolrick Park Dog Run this Saturday from 11:30am-12:30pm for Doggie Playgroup! All breeds and ages are welcome, but there is a size/weight limit – under 20lb. Oh and don’t bring any bitches in heat. All dogs must be spayed/neutered, up to date on shots and not aggressive. Continue reading
Alls everyone talks about these days in Greenpoint (aside from the $10 lattes) are the rent hikes that leave residents and businesses with no other option than to move out or close-up shop.
“It’s everybody’s story,” Rob Maher of Unleash said after making the decision to close his Franklin St boarding and daycare facility after serving the community for 5 years. When his lease option came up for renewal, the new price his landlord offered was “not an option to renew,” he said.
Now he must find homes for 6 rescue dogs. Continue reading
You know Yuka! She is the adorable and wonderful person who designs and shoots our market photo booth…
She also is an unofficial curator of cuteness. Her personal Facebook page is a daily stream of baby animals and strange inventions – all are sickeningly sweet and genius.
You wonder – where does she find this stuff?
I want to hire her to professionally collect and share cute stuff for Greenpointers – for everyone’s mental health! Continue reading
Dog Habitat, a local rescue group, just gave us the heads up that they have a cat and dog in need in need of good homes, either via adoptees or fosters. They’ve sent us descriptions and photos (see after the jump) and beware: they are super adorable. Both pets are up to date on all of their shots and are ready to be taken home!
If you’re interested, contact Dog Habitat Rescue via email at rescue[at]doghabitat[dot]org. Continue reading
Hope you had a great New Year’s Eve! Our brains aren’t working today. Help us caption this Happy New Year’s card… Go!
PUPPIES! SANTA! Puppies wearing sweaters…with Santa! It’s all going down Saturday in the garden right next to the McCarren Park dog run. Dress your pet(s) in their winter best and get a holiday photo that will make your entire extended family jealous, because A) your pet is super stylish and B) their family photo was taken at a mall.
Oh, and it’s FREE.
Tomorrow – Saturday 12/21 from 12:30-2pm
Instagram your merry Dog/Cat/Santa photo and tag us @greenpointers and @gpointvet. We’ll re-gram our favs.
The holidays can be very busy with travel and endless festivities. If you need support caring for your doggies or kitties this holiday season, DOG-E-DOG can help.
Mention “GREENPOINTERS” and receive a 20% discount off Gift Certificate purchases of $75+ at DOG-E-DOG!
DOG-E-DOG is your local boutique pet care service, offering pet sitting, walking and boarding. When you leave town or are at work all day, you want animal handlers that are kind yet street savvy and quick witted. That’s Dog-E-Dog!
Dog-e-Dog’s 2nd Annual Howl-O-Ween Dog Costume and Trick Contest proved to be yet another doggone success. The event took place this past Saturday at McCarren Park. Owners from all across Brooklyn, Queens and Manhattan came in droves with their pooches in tow, ready to show judges their most creative pet costumes and training chutzpah. Continue reading
• Bear Republic Brewing Night @ The Exley (1 Jackson St) 8pm, buy a beer, keep the glass. Flights, pairings, and great company.
• Poker Philanthropy Fundraiser @ t.b.d. Brooklyn (224 Franklin St) 7:30pm, FREE, 20 seat Texas Holdem tournament to benefit the Wounded Warrior Project, RSVP to pokerphilanthropy [at] gmail [dot] com for a guaranteed seat, More Info
• Storytelling with Barry Gifford @ WORD (126 Franklin St) 7-8pm, FREE, Author of Wild at Heart celebrates his new short story collection, The Roy Stories, with a reading accompanied by jazz guitarist, Miles Okazki, RSVP
♫ New Year World Rock Festival 2013 with SKATERS / Hunters / Teen / Free Time / DJ Vapors @ Glasslands (289 Kent) 8:30pm, $12, BUY TIX, RSVP Continue reading
Northside’s premier DOG COSTUME & TRICK CONTEST is fast approaching. Bring your pups dressed in costumes to Dog-E-Dog‘s 2nd Annual “Howl-O-Ween” on Saturday, Oct 26 from 1-4pm at the McCarren Park dog run.
While our friend Eric from Dog-E-Dog is putting the final touches on Dog-E-Dog‘s 2nd Annual “Howl-O-Ween,” he stopped by Greenpointers.com to give us five important tips for this weekend’s festivities:
- Practice tricks with your pooch! Once you have figured out your fancies, try having the dog perform the trick in front of your co-workers or friends, to make sure stage fright or performance anxiety isn’t going to be a problem.
- Dress yourself up! The more festive, the better…but don’t get our hopes up, Judges won’t be ranking you humans.
- There is no pre-registration, so come early! The first 50 contestants will be judged. Each contestant is assigned a # and then we proceed like the DMV or the deli: wait for your number to be called.
- Bring extra dog stuff to donate to BARC shelter. Toys, food, poop bags, treats, water bowls…Your dog’s “trash” is most likely a rescue dog’s “treasure”!
- Bring some cash. That way you can enter the raffle to win amazing prizes of your choosing, including but not limited to, Kate Spade leather bags, bar tabs, Gift baskets for your dog, a grooming voucher, a training session, doggy apparel and more.
Last year’s contest was a huge success and we all had a lot of fun, including my very own dog, Seymour, who was dressed up as everyone’s favorite comfort food: Bacon! While he didn’t win the costume prize, we did win some pretty sweet raffle packages, so don’t forget to participate.
Check for updates on Dog-E-Dog’s Facebook page.