Back after a successful debut last year, Nitehawk’s second shorts festival kicks off tonight and features programming through Sunday. If you are looking for a diverse array of works from up-and-coming filmmakers, this event is not to be missed! Continue reading
Sugar Sweets Festival, Howl-O-Ween, Ken’s Satanic Circus – What’s Happening, Greenpoint? (10/22–10/28)
Sky Bar & Grill, 804 Grand St
October 31 & November 1, 10pm, $10–$20, Buy tix
For two nights, you’re allowed to party with no rules. No club dress code. No small, packed space. Just GOOD vibes (and even better music).
Costume contest, music from DJ X5Rob and DJ Danny, plus half price on selected draft beers from 9–10pm.
What are you waiting for? Get your tickets now and come join us in the night!
* Weird Tales & Scary Stories @ Word (126 Franklin St) 7pm, FREE, With Christopher Buehlman / Tobias Carroll / Michael Cisco / Katherine Howe, RSVP
♦ Lone Stars @ 7 Dunham (7 Dunham Pl) 7pm, FREE, An exhibition highlighting four unique perspectives from young artists born and raised in Texas who have recently relocated to New York, plus free beer & wine all night, RSVP
♫ Rhythms of Africa @ Golden Drum (97 Green St, #G1) 7:30pm, FREE, Explore the rhythms of Africa through traditional music and dance, RSVP Continue reading
Kings County Fall Carnival, Tinnitus Music Series, Treehouse of Horror – What’s Happening, Greenpoint? (10/15–10/21)
* Elysian Urban Pumpkin Bar Crawl @ Brouwerij Lane (78 Greenpoint Ave) 4pm, FREE, Start your crawl at Brouwerij Lane and move on to the Diamond, Spuyten Duyvil, and Barcade, tasting different Elysian Pumpkin beers at each bar, More info
☺ Cause B Show to Benefit Books Through Bars @ Cobra Club (6 Wyckoff Ave) 8:30pm, $donation, With Will Miles / Robyn Schall / Gabe Morales / Tom Cowell / Adam Palmeter / Corinne Fisher, More info
Nitehawk Cinema’s October 2014 slate is unsurprisingly full of the spooky and scary. But that’s not all they’ve got going on this month. Here’s a look at what will be playing in October. Continue reading
I’m a big fan of Nitehawk Cinema. It’s one of my favorite places to go. You can see great films, eat great food, and enjoy great beverages – at the same damn time. Since I often share information about their events, I thought it would be fun to start doing a monthly preview. Here’s a look at what will be playing in September. Continue reading
# BBQ Blowout @ Good Co. (10 Hope St) 7:30pm, $10, New York Sushi Ko doing some Japanese-inspired wizardy on the grill; YOUSS and his CPH crew will work the decks, Buy tix
* Style Wars Championship @ Glasslands (289 Kent Ave) 8:30pm, $10, Rising designers face off in head-to-head fast-fashion battles, with 5 minutes to rock a look from whatever gets thrown at them, More info
♫ Rhythms of Africa @ Golden Drum (97 Green St, #G1) 7:30, $15, Roots trance / dance music with the Peace Department, featuring Kevin Nathaniel, Evan Worldwind, and special guests, RSVP
* Entranced: Comedy Hypnosis Show @ Standard Toykraft (722 Metropolitan Ave) 8pm, $15, Watch volunteers from the audience act out hilarious situations based on Max Kovins hypnotic suggestions, More info
♫ Nicholas Nicholas @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St) 8pm, $7, With Will Stratton / Kieran Blake / M A R T H A, RSVP
I had the chance to see the film Boyhood – out today in select cities and releasing wide next week – Tuesday at a private screening at Nitehawk. Director Richard Linklater and actor Ellar Coltrane were present for a Q&A afterwards. It was an incredible experience. Continue reading
It’s been a little while since I’ve had a chance to post, but I’m coming back to you with some music & film events taking place over the next few days. And as a bonus, I have a live performance video shot on location in North Brooklyn.
* Newtown Creek Community Advisory Group Meeting @ LaGuardia Community College (31-10 Thomson Ave, E Building, Room E501) 6:30pm, FREE, NYS Department of Health will present on the final health assessment for Newtown Creek, give an update on the health outcomes review, and describe work to educate the public about fish consumption advisories in the creek, More info
* Trivia Night @ Brooklyn Brewery (79 North 11th St) 6:30pm, $25, WNET celebrates the upcoming documentary Brooklyn Best with THIRTEEN-themed trivia, More info
☺ Comedy Night @ Adelina’s (159 Greenpoint Ave) 10pm, FREE, With Malwina Andruczyk / John Mahone / Brian McDonald / Alan Yaspan, RSVP
* Terrariums & Tastings @ Brooklyn Craft Co (61 Greenpoint Ave) 7pm, $70, An evening of terrarium-making sampling Brooklyn-made spirits and snacks, More info
* Chez Bushwick Presents Artists-in-Residence Two-Night Show @ Center for Performance Research (361 Manhattan Ave) 7:30pm, $12, Four local emerging and established choreographers: Effie Bowen, Gabrielle D’Angelo, Mei Yamanaka, Nicole Roerick, and Stuart Shungg, Buy tix
* Steady Running of the Hour Party @ Cloud City (85 North 1st St) 7:30pm, FREE, A reading / reception / potluck / party / salon in honor of Justin Gakuto Go’s book release, RSVP
♫ RAW: Natural Born Artists @ Brooklyn Night Bazaar (165 Banker St) 8pm, $17, A multi-faceted artistic showcase featuring local, hand-picked talent, More info Continue reading