Workout shot the video for “Life is a Nightmare” on India Street, among other locations in Greenpoint and North Brooklyn. The song struts along with crunchy guitar riffs, giving the titular chorus a contradictory feel-good sentiment. You can check the band out tonight at the Stonewall Inn (53 Christopher Street). A party bus will pick up at Bia in South Williamsburg. More details here. Continue reading
Dark electro-pop darlings We Are The Wilderness welded together this week’s uplifting mix. Ready to get elevated?
* Handmade Treasures Pop Up @ Daddy’s (435 Graham Ave) Saturday 3/8 at 1pm, Free, shop knits, jewelry, ceramics, and scarves, plus get a custom Tim Harrington (of Les Savy Fav) illustration of your spirit animal, there will also be custom pet portraits and custom knit patches (bring your fav digital image to be converted into a knit), with wares from Glitterlimes (real fruit and candy jewelry!) / Muffy brandt (hand-printed leggings, tops, and bags) / Andrew Almone (a.k.a the KNIT MASTER) / Juniortown Knits (hand-dyed yarn) / Jule Van Such (digital prints on silk scarves) / Jena Derman (Executive Sous Chef at Momofuku Milk Bar who creates amazing pastry-like ceramics) / Wowch, with DJ Knife Fight spinning 45s, RSVP
♦ Illustration Workshop @ The Living Gallery (1094 Broadway, Bushwick) 4-6pm, Free, Learn the core basics of buildling shapes, images and characters, this week the theme is the classic Greek tale, RSVP
* Steampunk Tea Party @ Word (126 Franklin St) 7pm, $15 suggested donation, Join author Gail Carriger for a reading, discussion and book signing from her Protectorate literature series, prizes awarded to best steampunk costume, RSVP
♦ Artists’ Reception and Ash Wednesday Worship @ Lutheran Church of the Messiah (129 Russell St) 7-10pm, Free, Explore this local collection of artwork modeled on the Stations of the Cross, RSVP
* Seasonal Home Store Pop-Up @ Home of the Brave (67 West St, #416) 6pm, Free, Have a drink while previewing the home store of independent designers, curated by Wolves Within, RSVP
♦ 60, The Collective Part 2 Art Show @ The Walk Way, Rebar (147 Front St, Dumbo) 7pm, Curators Frankie Velez and Craig Anthony Miller gather 60 artists to create 12” x 12” works, DJ’d by AnaMated, More Info
The school’s founder, Jason Sagebiel, has a very unique backstory.
As a Marine serving in Iraq, he sustained a debilitating brain injury. With limited therapy available to him, he turned to intensive music practice as a way to regain his cognitive abilities. His success spurred him to create Sage Music. Continue reading
♦ Grand Opening @ smallhome (770 Metropolitan Ave) FREE, Saturday 3/1, 12 pm, celebrate the Art Gallery/boutique opening with a party and complimentary drinks (6-10pm) at the vintage purveyors’ first brick and mortar location, with cutting boards from Gowanus Furniture, room sprays from South side local Species by the Thousands, and smallhome’s signature sippy cups with metal straws, More Info
*Hand Job Academy Open Mic Skate Session @ House of Vans (25 Franklin St) FREE, skating and pizza are all part of the Open House Open Mic, oh and a concert too, RSVP
♫ Neighbors / Incan Abraham / Cultfever / Cold Fronts @ Baby’s All Right (146 Broadway) 8pm
As a product of the NYC Public Education system and an art lover, I am excited to let you know about a Benefit for Public School Art Programs, taking place at Wythe Hotel (80 Wythe Ave) tomorrow February 25, 2014 at 8pm.
Kids need art, and we all know that art programs are underfunded. This article on the importance of art in child development from PBS.org cites that, “art education strengthens problem-solving and critical-thinking skills. The experience of making decisions and choices in the course of creating art carries over into other parts of life.”
And according to a report by the Center for Arts Education in NYC, “in schools with the lowest graduation rates, where arts could have had the greatest impact - students have the least opportunity to participate in arts learning.”
Let’s change that – and have some fun!
Palm tree punks Safety whittled together this week’s mix. Let it help you increase the speed, reduce the nosebleed because — gosh winter, aren’t you done soon? Playlist after the jump.
(sponsored) Carnival Concert @ Warsaw (261 Driggs Ave) Sunday 2/23, 3pm, $25/$15 students/seniors. If you’re into classical music at an authentic Greenpoint venue, then don’t miss this! String players from the NY Philharmonic & international opera soloists perform the music of Lehar, J.Strauss, Donizetti, Verdi, Mozart, Rossini, Oginsky and Jotejko, not to mention a 30 voice choir sings Handel’s “Hallelujah,” PLUS Polish American Folk Dancers, in traditional costume perform “Oginski Polonaise,” Buy Tix
♫ Old Monk / Dead Waves / The Meaning of Life @ Matchless (557 Manhattan Ave) 8pm, $7 Buy Tix
♫ Teen Men / Cousins / Cold Fronts / Spirit Plate @ Glasslands (289 Kent) 8pm, $10, Buy Tix
* Punk Rope Happy Hour @ Capri Social Club (156 Calyer St.) 9pm, $5, Pints of Zywier, Warka and Lech, teams of 4 play rock themed trivia, RSVP Continue reading
1. The Pizza Underground is a band that solely plays Velvet Underground covers…with lyrics about pizza.
2. Macaulay Culkin is in the band. And he plays the kazoo. Continue reading
♦ People and Places @ Evil and Love Tattoo (211 Franklin St) 7-10pm, Friday 2/7 FREE, Check out this photo exhibit featuring works by Czech skateboard photographer, Hona Zima, a 25-year-old born in a small city near Prague, see his images here, RSVP
* Picture Farm Film Fest @ Picture Farm (338 Wythe Ave) 2-7pm, FREE, First ever PF Film Fest running Saturday 2/8 through Sunday 2/9, opening & closing receptions, Q&As w/directors and writers, a Sat. afternoon shorts, Sat. night documentaries, & Sunday Brunch. All Screenings FREE! Check the website for the full schedule & film details, RSVP
• 94th Precinct Community Council Meeting @ Church of the Ascension (122 Java St) 7-8pm, FREE, ask questions & chat with local police officers & community members
♥ Save Room For Dessert! @ Brooklyn Brewery (8-10pm) $5, Join an expert panel curated by Edible Brooklyn for demos, tips, samples, and a Q&A covering everything you need to know about sweets just in time for V-Day, More Info
♫ Young Yeller (LP Release Party) / Moon Bounce / Kazimier / AIMES (DJ Set) @ Glasslands (289 Kent) 8:30pm, $10, RSVP Continue reading