* Chanukah on Ice @ McCarren Rink (776 Lorimer St) 5:30-6:30pm (kids skate), 7-9pm (adults skate), $12/adult, $10/kids (includes skates and dinner), Celebrate the festival of lights with latkes, donuts, hot drinks, and an ICE MENORAH (how cool is that?), while skating under the stars to the sounds of “Jewish music,” RSVP
♦ War Reporting: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot @ Brooklyn Brewery (79 N 11th St) 7:30-9pm, $25, Join photojournalist Ashley Gilbertson as he talks about his experiences shooting battle zones and the bedrooms of fallen Iraq soldiers, in coversation with VICE Editor in Chief, Rocco Castoro, All proceeds benefit RISC (Reporters Instructed in Saving Colleagues), More Info
♥ XXXMas Trivia @ Trash Bar (256 Grand St) 7:30-10pm, FREE, Test your knowledge of the less family-friendly holiday films, like National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation and Home Alone (?), with drink specials to keep your wits about you
* Punk Rope for the Philippines @ 99 Meserole Ave, 7:30-8:30, All proceeds benefit DAMPA, a grassrots women-led peoples’ federation of 217 urban and rural poor community groups organized throughout the Philippines, after party with drink specials at the Soft Spot (128 Bedford) from 9pm-12am, RSVP
♫ Sean Nicholas Savage / Zula / Regal Degal / SoftSpot / EyeBodega visuals @ Death By Audio (49 S. 2nd St) 8pm, $7, RSVP
♫ Local X Local featuring O’Death @ Brooklyn Bowl (61 With Ave) 9:30pm, FREE with RSVP Continue reading
Excuse me, but winter is here and baby, it’s cold outside. November’s weather brought everything from flurries and snow and frigid gusts of winds that made me want to warm up inside our one of our local coffee shops. Inside, I heard sounds that captured an ominous winter spirit. Looks like we’ll be inside for a while with something hot between our hands.
From the Specials to The Budos Band, these songs were curated over the last month from the spaces of Upright, Charlotte Patisserie, Variety, Propeller , Spina.
On Monday, Brooklyn’s newest record store opened its doors at 64 North 9th Street. It’s the New York home of famed British store/label Rough Trade and it seems like it will be a nice addition to the neighborhood. Continue reading
Haiyan Relief, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, & the British Are Coming – What’s Happening, Greenpoint? (11/20-11/26)
♦ Drawing 101 @ The Living Gallery (1094 Broadway, Bushwick) 4-6pm, $15 Suggested Donation, Improve those eye-hand coordination skills and learn the basics of drawing, with refreshers on line weight, contrast, perspective, and composition, guided practice for beginners and seasoned artists, RSVP
# Gluten Free Beer and Burger Night @ One Stop Beer Shop (134 Kingsland Ave) 7-10pm, $16, sip on cider and a gluten free beer called Plasma (interesting name…), and Margabuchas (kombucha mixed drinks), and fight the pesky enemy of your digestive system, RSVP
• No Man’s Land Launch Party @ Good Co. (10 Hope St) 7pm, FREE, celebrate the launch of this western storytelling app with happy hour (until 8pm), live music by Chase King of Slow Country, and a demo, RSVP
♫ Tyburn Saints / The Howlin’ Houndogs / Ray Mazza / Tiny Hazard / Relatives / Names of War / Our Griffins @ The Paper Box (17 Meadow St, Bushwick) 8pm, $7, BUY TIX
♫ Typhoon Haiyan Benefit Show @ 285 Kent, 8pm, $7 adv/ $10 door, All proceeds benefit grassroots organizations in the Philippines, with music from Ava Luna / Rebel Diaz / Celestial Shore / Eartheater, RSVP, BUY TIX, DONATE Continue reading
Is it worth commenting on the sudden resurgence in walking sleeping bags around the ‘point? Wait. Let synth-psych babes Psychic Twin offers this week’s mix to warm your bones. It’s quite the concoction that employs elements that sizzle much more than an infinity scarf. Defrost after the jump!
Greenpoint was buzzing with caffeine and creativity. Nine Greenpoint coffee shops participated and we hit each and every one! Coffee lovers enjoyed an evening of local cafés open late with curated cultural events.
Thanks to everyone who came out, to Chermelle for her tireless efforts putting all the events together and to our sponsoring coffee shops: Café Grumpy, Charlotte Patisserie, Tar Pit Coffee Shop, Champion Coffee, Cafe Edna and SPINA.
I know I shouldn’t pick favorites so I’ll just say the evening started out on a (sugar) high note at Champion Coffee. Manager Mark wanted to create a menu that pulled from different food makers in the area. He hit the nail on the head with his Cold Brew Tiramisu made with Peter Pan Glazed Old Fashioned Donuts, Mascarpone Cheese and Rum! I hope they keep that on the menu! Continue reading
We can thank warbling blues-pop crew The Letter Yellow for curating this week’s playlist. Finger your jeans just a tinge more frayed and prep for crunchy leaves after the jump.
Wooden Houses, a Touch of BDSM, & a Zillion Art Openings – What’s Happening, Greenpoint? (11/6- 11/12)
♦ The Shape of Control @ Java Studios Gallery (252 Java St, Suite 308) FRIDAY (11/8) 7-11 pm, FREE, Group show featuring paintings, photographs, and sculptures that depict human interaction with nature, exploring the way in which reality is preserved and/or distorted through documentation and storytelling, includes work from artists Robby Rose (paintings of defaced sculptures of ancient Greek heroes)/ Nathalie Shepherd (paintings of idealized female muses) / Vriginia Ines Vergara (photographs wilderness dioramas through multiple lenses) / Divya Anantharaman (brings the animal into our environment with Black Bear Taxidermy), on view through December 6, RSVP, Catalog
• Muchmore’s Free Poker Tournament @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St) 7-8:30pm, FREE, ok gamblers, this one’s for you… except instead of losing money you get to play for free and potentially win a $25 bar tab (!!), RSVP
* GCEF Networking Event @ Polish Slavic Center (176 Java St) 6:30-8:30pm, FREE, network with community members who are applying for grants from the Greenpoint Community Environmental Fund
♦ Opening: John F. Moore Jr. @ The Habitat (998 Manhattan Ave) 7pm, FREE, Moore exhibits his abstract, trippy paintings, RSVP
* Greenpoint Designers MEET UP @ Broken Land (105 Franklin St) 7-9pm, there’s a lot of you design-y folks around here (I see you lookin’ all cool, working on your typography), how about you meet each other and talk about it over drinks and prizes and form a community, or whatever RSVP
♦ Daniel Johnston: here @ Reverse Space (28 Frost St) 7-9pm, Opening for a traveling exhibition of images taken of the iconic singer-songwriter Daniel Johnston by documentary/portrait photographer Jung Kim, capturing his life on the road and at home in Waller, TX, More Info
* Everyday is Like Sunday @ Nitehawk (136 Metropolitan Ave) 8pm, FREE, Catch a special screening of this Toronto film about “being young and getting older/drinking too much,” co-starring Nick Thorburn of the band Islands and formerly The Unicorms, the theme hits a little close to home, but hey, the Toronto Star called it “Scrappy but endearing,” RSVP
♫ Heliotropes / Flown / Black Lagoon / Beech Creeps @ The Acheron (57 Waterbury St, Bushwick) 8pm, $10 (I must be tired because I read Beech Creeps as “Beach Crepes” and got really excited/hungry), RSVP
All of Fishdoctor‘s promo stuff paints them as sheepish gentlemen. Immediately upon arriving at the pop group’s South Williamsburg home, it’s apparent that promo stuff is an accurate mirror. Half a dozen tea options lay thoughtfully spread next to a kettle. Their melodic, easy pop music and inherent charm roll out a welcome mat. Then, just like that, you’re home.
Lo-fi toaster pastries Weed Hounds wrangled this week’s mix. It’s sweet and real but it ain’t real sweet.
Put on some comfy slippers and relax into a full bliss-out after the jump.