This looks like a fun show tonight 2/24 at Saint Vitus (1120 Manhattan Ave), presented by Brooklyn Vegan and Shiner Beer with performances by Hop Along / Swearin’ / Great Thunder. Get there early – it’s first come, first get in. Doors 8pm, Show 9pm
Escorting your sweetie to the Brooklyn Night Bazaar is a genius Valentine’s date and here is why… First show your lover what a VIP he or she is with the Valentine’s Day SuperPass so you can skip the line in style! (Seriously no one wants to wait in line on a date…) Continue reading
When this world makes you crazy /
And you’ve taken all you can bear /
You call me up /
Because you know I’ll be there Continue reading
Fellow Greenpoint resident, Colin Ruel, went on tour with The Lemonheads this July, visiting us here at the Knitting Factory on 7/24 after Springsteen’s hometown, Asbury Park, NJ. His album came out through Junko Records on 7/19. I suppose The Lemonheads felt you’d like Colin Ruel if you like them. You might also like him if you like Elliot Smith, Wilco, Smog and for Ruel’s occasional falsetto and melodic quality, The Beach Boys. Take a listen and a watch: he edited this found-footage cartoon music video for my favorite song of his. Continue reading
My favorite thing to do is to go watch a movie that I never heard of so I have zero expectations and hopefully will be blow away. I’ve heard of Silent Drape Runners before, but until Jon and I just finished the entire Twin Peaks series (on Netflix) I didn’t know what it was referring to.
It’s supposed to be an amazing show tonight at The Bell House in Gowanus, so let’s leave it at that. I specifically am not reading the stellar reviews. I want it all to be a big surprise, like how Twin Peaks ended. If you haven’t spent two weeks of your life watching the entire series of Twin Peaks, do that – I promise that it will be time worth spent. I will let you know how it goes tonight.
If you are as intrigued as I am then buy some tickets and meet me there!
Radiant Energy, Animal Spirits, Crest Fest, Fly A Kite, Cool As Ice: What’s Happening Greenpoint? (6/5-6/12)
♫ Bugs in The Dark / Gang @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St) 8pm, FREE
☺ The Regulars Comedy Show @ The Creek & The Cave (10-93 Jackson Ave.) 10-11:30pm, FREE
♦ Radiant Energy @ Beginnings (110 Meserole Ave) 7-10pm, A Two-Person Exhibition with Heather Culp and Caroline Hwang, a space for reflection, meditation, and beauty through photographs, fabric pieces and installations
♥ FitDrinks @ Awakening (607 Manhattan Ave) 8-10pm, $10, a monthly networking/cocktail party for fitness and wellness professionals to re-define the detox-retox-redux, Buy Tix
♫ Brooklyn Queen Day @ The Place Bar & Lounge (269 Norman Ave) 8pm, $6, All Ages, Up For Nothing / Fuctiphine, Jimmy Doyle & The Engineers / Yes Virginia, RSVP
♥ Opening Party @ Broken Land (105 Franklin St) 9pm, Celebrate the official opening with free Brooklyn Lager from 9 until they run out, cocktail specials, Alix Brown DJs, RSVP
♦ Relax – This won’t hurt a bit @ Medical Office (1002 Manhattan Ave.) 6-9pm, a group exhibition organized by Alexa Hoyer Elisabeth Smolarz
♦ On/Off Acid @ Calico (67 West St, #206) Opening Reception 7-9pm, curated by Martin Esteves and featuring works by Ailsa Cavers, Gary Cullen, Michael Lee, Max Reinhardt, and David B. Smith as well as short films about “the experience,” RSVP
♫ Craig Davis Band / Sexy Neighbors / Morningside Lane / The Tye Trybe @ Matchless (557 Manhattan Ave) 7pm, $10
* Animal Spirits @ East River Tattoo (1047 Manhattan Ave) 7:30-10pm, Tom Healy, Adam Fitzgerald and Dorothea Lasky will read from their newly released books, poets may be tattooed, tattooers may read poetry, or other combinations thereof, More info
♫ LODRO / Life Size Maps / The Vandelles / Young Boys / Spires @ Secret Loft (247 N. 10th St) 9pm, $10, all you can drink kegs, post punk Vinyl DJ set, visual, kissing booth, RSVP
♫ Porches / Summer People / Lost Boy? / Heeney @ Shea Stadium (20 Meadow St) 8pm
• Greenpoint Sidewalk Sale @ Franklin St, noon-6pm, a good old fashion neighborhood sidewalk sale, the streets will be flooded with vintage, furniture, sales, junk from the areas most beloved shops and artisans
♦♫ Crest Fest @ Crest Hardware (558 Metropolitan Ave) 1-8pm, a day of art, music, food, drinks, dancing, vendor market, free kids crafts and face painting, music by Pitchblak Brass Band / Aabaraki / Cold Fronts
Osekre & The Lucky Bastards / See Through, RSVP
♦ Peter Kyle Dance’s 100 Days @ Triskelion Arts (118 N. 11th St) 8-9:30pm, $15, exposing the artist’s versatility as a performer and testing his endurance, the work is an assemblage of impressions showcasing both expressive range and physical nuance, More info
♫ Sleepies, Street Shark, Rocket Launcher, Butter The Children @ Death by Audio (49 S 2nd St) 8pm, $7
♫ Crocodiles / Chez Deep @ Union Pool (484 Union Ave) 9pm, $10
• PS 132 Annual Kite Festival @ Citi Storage (Kent Ave and N. 11th) noon-5pm, Come fly a kite and spend a day of fun in the sun with amazing crafts, carnival rides, food, photo booth, awesome entertainment and raffles all to benefit our local Public School 132, More info
* Alec Cumming and NYC Radio @ Word Brooklyn (126 Franklin St.) 4-5:30pm, FREE, Historian Alec Cumming discusses Brooklyn’s contribution to the city’s radio history, from the Yiddish stations of the ’30s & ’40s to Radio Soleil’s work in the aftermath of the Haitian earthquake, followed by a guided trip over to the historic radio site at Transmitter Park, More info
♫ The Menzingers / Fake Problems / Restorations / Captain / We’re Sinking @ Saint Vitus (1120 Manhattan Ave) 7:30pm, $15
• Bad Movie Presents Cool As Ice @ Berry Park (4 Berry St) 8pm, FREE, starring Vanilla Ice. Summer is heating up. Cool down… with Ice. He’s back with his brand new invention, a starring role in a Hollywood movie. Word to your mother.
• OSA Community Committee Public Forum @ The Warsaw (261 Driggs Ave) 7-8:30pm, our chance as community members to bring your ideas for maintaining, improving and celebrating our parks in North Brooklyn, More info
* Sailor Jerry Day – 102 Free Tattoos @ The Gutter (200 N 14th St) 7-11pm, 102 free tattoos in honor of the actual Normal “Sailor Jerry” Collins, the tattoo artist for whom the brand is named, choose your tattoo by throwing a dart – afterwards, a free shot of rum, RSVP
* Greenpointers’ Pick
♥ Pheremones likely
♦ Art Event
☺ Comedy Event
# Foodie Event
A Bunch Of Dead People / Butter The Children / Old Monk / I’m Turning Into: Officially Unofficial Northside Show @ Coco66 (6/15)
You could fork over $80 for an official Northside Badge or you can spend $5 and come to the best officially Unofficial Northside Show, presented by Super Crush Studio and Greenpointers at Coco66 on Saturday June 15, 2013 at 8pm! RSVP
Who’s playing? Officially – the best bands in Brooklyn!
Come and have fun!
The Argentinian “Pop Rock Sensation” Agosto plays Warsaw tonight, Friday January 4th, 2013 – 9pm. Free!
Spend your Sunday with Greenpointers to raise money for Sandy Relief Efforts:
• From 1-9pm, 18 bands perform at Public Assembly (70 No. 6th St). $10 Cover with all proceed donated to New York Cares. Bring 3 Canned Goods/Supplies get a free Brooklyn Brewery beer. Facebook RSVP, More info
• From 4-6pm, enjoy delicious soup from The Splendid Spoon in a one of a kind handmade bowl while enjoying a Brooklyn Brewery Beer at EAT (124 Meserole St). $25, All Proceeds donated to Greenpoint Soup Kitchen & Food Pantry. More info.