Fellow Greenpoint resident, Colin Ruel, went on tour with The Lemonheads this July, visiting us here at the Knitting Factory on 7/24 after Springsteen’s hometown, Asbury Park, NJ. His album came out through Junko Records on 7/19. I suppose The Lemonheads felt you’d like Colin Ruel if you like them. You might also like him if you like Elliot Smith, Wilco, Smog and for Ruel’s occasional falsetto and melodic quality, The Beach Boys. Take a listen and a watch: he edited this found-footage cartoon music video for my favorite song of his. Continue reading
My favorite thing to do is to go watch a movie that I never heard of so I have zero expectations and hopefully will be blow away. I’ve heard of Silent Drape Runners before, but until Jon and I just finished the entire Twin Peaks series (on Netflix) I didn’t know what it was referring to.
It’s supposed to be an amazing show tonight at The Bell House in Gowanus, so let’s leave it at that. I specifically am not reading the stellar reviews. I want it all to be a big surprise, like how Twin Peaks ended. If you haven’t spent two weeks of your life watching the entire series of Twin Peaks, do that – I promise that it will be time worth spent. I will let you know how it goes tonight.
If you are as intrigued as I am then buy some tickets and meet me there!
Radiant Energy, Animal Spirits, Crest Fest, Fly A Kite, Cool As Ice: What’s Happening Greenpoint? (6/5-6/12)
♫ Bugs in The Dark / Gang @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St) 8pm, FREE
☺ The Regulars Comedy Show @ The Creek & The Cave (10-93 Jackson Ave.) 10-11:30pm, FREE
♦ Radiant Energy @ Beginnings (110 Meserole Ave) 7-10pm, A Two-Person Exhibition with Heather Culp and Caroline Hwang, a space for reflection, meditation, and beauty through photographs, fabric pieces and installations
♥ FitDrinks @ Awakening (607 Manhattan Ave) 8-10pm, $10, a monthly networking/cocktail party for fitness and wellness professionals to re-define the detox-retox-redux, Buy Tix
♫ Brooklyn Queen Day @ The Place Bar & Lounge (269 Norman Ave) 8pm, $6, All Ages, Up For Nothing / Fuctiphine, Jimmy Doyle & The Engineers / Yes Virginia, RSVP
♥ Opening Party @ Broken Land (105 Franklin St) 9pm, Celebrate the official opening with free Brooklyn Lager from 9 until they run out, cocktail specials, Alix Brown DJs, RSVP
♦ Relax – This won’t hurt a bit @ Medical Office (1002 Manhattan Ave.) 6-9pm, a group exhibition organized by Alexa Hoyer Elisabeth Smolarz
♦ On/Off Acid @ Calico (67 West St, #206) Opening Reception 7-9pm, curated by Martin Esteves and featuring works by Ailsa Cavers, Gary Cullen, Michael Lee, Max Reinhardt, and David B. Smith as well as short films about “the experience,” RSVP
♫ Craig Davis Band / Sexy Neighbors / Morningside Lane / The Tye Trybe @ Matchless (557 Manhattan Ave) 7pm, $10
* Animal Spirits @ East River Tattoo (1047 Manhattan Ave) 7:30-10pm, Tom Healy, Adam Fitzgerald and Dorothea Lasky will read from their newly released books, poets may be tattooed, tattooers may read poetry, or other combinations thereof, More info
♫ LODRO / Life Size Maps / The Vandelles / Young Boys / Spires @ Secret Loft (247 N. 10th St) 9pm, $10, all you can drink kegs, post punk Vinyl DJ set, visual, kissing booth, RSVP
♫ Porches / Summer People / Lost Boy? / Heeney @ Shea Stadium (20 Meadow St) 8pm
• Greenpoint Sidewalk Sale @ Franklin St, noon-6pm, a good old fashion neighborhood sidewalk sale, the streets will be flooded with vintage, furniture, sales, junk from the areas most beloved shops and artisans
♦♫ Crest Fest @ Crest Hardware (558 Metropolitan Ave) 1-8pm, a day of art, music, food, drinks, dancing, vendor market, free kids crafts and face painting, music by Pitchblak Brass Band / Aabaraki / Cold Fronts
Osekre & The Lucky Bastards / See Through, RSVP
♦ Peter Kyle Dance’s 100 Days @ Triskelion Arts (118 N. 11th St) 8-9:30pm, $15, exposing the artist’s versatility as a performer and testing his endurance, the work is an assemblage of impressions showcasing both expressive range and physical nuance, More info
♫ Sleepies, Street Shark, Rocket Launcher, Butter The Children @ Death by Audio (49 S 2nd St) 8pm, $7
♫ Crocodiles / Chez Deep @ Union Pool (484 Union Ave) 9pm, $10
• PS 132 Annual Kite Festival @ Citi Storage (Kent Ave and N. 11th) noon-5pm, Come fly a kite and spend a day of fun in the sun with amazing crafts, carnival rides, food, photo booth, awesome entertainment and raffles all to benefit our local Public School 132, More info
* Alec Cumming and NYC Radio @ Word Brooklyn (126 Franklin St.) 4-5:30pm, FREE, Historian Alec Cumming discusses Brooklyn’s contribution to the city’s radio history, from the Yiddish stations of the ’30s & ’40s to Radio Soleil’s work in the aftermath of the Haitian earthquake, followed by a guided trip over to the historic radio site at Transmitter Park, More info
♫ The Menzingers / Fake Problems / Restorations / Captain / We’re Sinking @ Saint Vitus (1120 Manhattan Ave) 7:30pm, $15
• Bad Movie Presents Cool As Ice @ Berry Park (4 Berry St) 8pm, FREE, starring Vanilla Ice. Summer is heating up. Cool down… with Ice. He’s back with his brand new invention, a starring role in a Hollywood movie. Word to your mother.
• OSA Community Committee Public Forum @ The Warsaw (261 Driggs Ave) 7-8:30pm, our chance as community members to bring your ideas for maintaining, improving and celebrating our parks in North Brooklyn, More info
* Sailor Jerry Day – 102 Free Tattoos @ The Gutter (200 N 14th St) 7-11pm, 102 free tattoos in honor of the actual Normal “Sailor Jerry” Collins, the tattoo artist for whom the brand is named, choose your tattoo by throwing a dart – afterwards, a free shot of rum, RSVP
* Greenpointers’ Pick
♥ Pheremones likely
♦ Art Event
☺ Comedy Event
# Foodie Event
A Bunch Of Dead People / Butter The Children / Old Monk / I’m Turning Into: Officially Unofficial Northside Show @ Coco66 (6/15)
You could fork over $80 for an official Northside Badge or you can spend $5 and come to the best officially Unofficial Northside Show, presented by Super Crush Studio and Greenpointers at Coco66 on Saturday June 15, 2013 at 8pm! RSVP
Who’s playing? Officially – the best bands in Brooklyn!
Come and have fun!
The Argentinian “Pop Rock Sensation” Agosto plays Warsaw tonight, Friday January 4th, 2013 – 9pm. Free!
Spend your Sunday with Greenpointers to raise money for Sandy Relief Efforts:
• From 1-9pm, 18 bands perform at Public Assembly (70 No. 6th St). $10 Cover with all proceed donated to New York Cares. Bring 3 Canned Goods/Supplies get a free Brooklyn Brewery beer. Facebook RSVP, More info
• From 4-6pm, enjoy delicious soup from The Splendid Spoon in a one of a kind handmade bowl while enjoying a Brooklyn Brewery Beer at EAT (124 Meserole St). $25, All Proceeds donated to Greenpoint Soup Kitchen & Food Pantry. More info.
Win two free tickets to see the Dum Dum Girls at Europa this Sunday September 30, 2012.
To enter: In the comments tell Greenpointers your favorite Dum Dum Girls Song. Don’t know any? That’s okay. Just be clever. Any comment below (keep it clean, people) will be eligible to win.
Deadline to enter: Saturday, September 29, 2012, 11:59pm
If you win you will be notified by email on Sunday morning.
A benefit show & party for Cycle For The Cause: The Northeast AIDS Ride (a charity bike ride from NYC to Boston!)
$10-$15 Suggested Donation.
>>> OPEN VODKA & BOURBON BAR ALL NIGHT. woah. <<<
Live Music by:
1031 Grand St
We’ve received feedback from users subscribed to the RSS feed. They are sad because the feed emails posts the following day, so when they receive “What’s Happening?” on Thursdays they’ve missed the awesomeness from the previous night. Now “What’s Happening?” will list Wed- Wed happenings. Hope it helps!
There is so much art happening in Greenpoint - it’s insane!
♦ Flora e Fauna: Exhibition of Botanical Drawings by KT Smail @ Nights & Weekends (1 Bedford Ave) 6-9pm
♦ James Bellizia Opening Reception @ Dandelion Wine (153 Franklin St) 7-9pm
♦ Do It Awake @ The Heliopolis Project (154 Huron St.) 7-10pm, More info
• Gabrielle Bell and Julia Wertz, in conversation with Jami Attenberg @ Word (126 Franklin St) 7pm, Comics artist and Greenpoint local Gabrielle Bell will launch her new graphic novel The Voyeurs with artist Julia Wertz followed by a conversation with novelist Jami Attenberg.
• Fashion Night Out Greenpoint
♦ Red Left Blue Right @ Picture Farm (338 Wythe Ave) 6-9pm, Double Triple is presenting a show of art and design for red/blue 3-D glasses, cocktails, snacks, music, 3-D photo booth, More info
♫ Bust Magazine Issue Release Party @ Matchless (557 Manhattan Ave) 8pm, Free music from Mannequin Pussy, Leda & DJ set from Permanent Wave
♫ Dinowalrus / Xray Eyeballs / Life Size Maps / Grand Resort / Psychobuildings @ 285 Kent, 8pm, $4
♦ This Is How My Brain Works @ Radiator Gallery (10-61 Jackson Ave, LIC) 6-8pm, 16 artists who practice collage ranging from works on paper to video, sculpture, books, photography
♦ 744 Hr Photo & Tanning @ Rawson Projects (223 Franklin St) 6-8pm, Choit will continue her practice of utilizing a modified UV-light-emitting tanning bed as a photographic tool, further exploring her interest in the effect of photochemical processes on found objects.
♦ Odd Job @ Fowler Arts (67 West St, #216) 7-10pm, An exhibition of new work by artists Ted Carey, Jacob Goudreault, and Simon Slater. Painting in the 21st century is an odd job. With no rules or boundaries, how does one beat a path to new possibilities?
♦ Malado Baldwin Opening Reception @ The One Well (165 Greenpoint Ave) 7-10pm, a retrospective
♫ Ava Luna / Ed Schrader’s Music Beat / Lost Boy? / Indian Rebound @ Living Bread Deli (2 Knickerbocker Ave) 8pm, $10
♦ Newtown Creek Armada Opening Ceremony @ Newtown Creek Nature Walk (50 Paidge Ave at Provist St) 1-4pm, Visitors to The Armada will pilot a fleet of artist-made, miniature, remote-controlled boats along the surface of the Newtown Creek while documenting the hidden world of its waters using waterproof cameras and microphones, More info
• Samantha Pleet X Wolverine Pop Up Shop @ In God We Trust (70 Greenpoint Ave) 6-10pm, Special SP x Wolverine shoe pre-order, Bonny boots on sale, goodie bags, Brooklyn Gin, Brooklyn Brewery brews, and Samantha’s Pie Faces.
♫ Noon / Foster Care / Pink Reason @ Lulu’s (113 Franklin St) 4-8pm, Free
♫ Octant / Backwords / Starlight Girls / Zula / Ping Pong @ Party XPO (929 Broadway, Bed-Stuy) 9pm, $6
Taste Williamsburg Greenpoint @ CitiStorage (5 N 11th St @ Kent Ave) 1-5pm, an outdoor celebration of North Brooklyn’s local flavor to benefit the building of the Northside Town Hall, featuring sample tastes from over 50 of the neighborhood’s best restaurants, bars, breweries, and wineries, along with live music and more, Buy Tix
• Some like It Cold – Soup Competition @ Huckleberry Bar (588 Grand St) 5-8pm, It’s free to compete! It’s $10 to judge and eat! Mezcal Cocktails, more info
♫ The Shivers @ Manhattan Inn (632 Manhattan Ave) 10pm, Free
• Nora Ephron’s Heartburn – BK Kitchen Book Club @ The Brooklyn Kitchen (100 Frost St) $10, discuss Nora Ephron’s novel HEARTBURN and enjoy a no-pressure potluck inspired by the book (drinks provided), More info
* Greenpointers’ Pick
♥ Pheremones Likely
♦ Art Event