Before the Internet, you needed a book agent or a handful of luck if you wanted to spare your novel a slow death in a publisher’s slush pile. But now, with the triple power of the Internet, tablets, and self-publishing platforms, it’s possible for anyone to release a book into the world and do well. Or, even astoundingly well (Fifty Shades of Grey was originally self-published as an e-book and a print-on-demand). But should you do it? Here are ten points to consider—from someone who has self-published—before you take the plunge. Continue reading
More than 200 of the neighborhood’s foremost capitalists, investors, workers, and a smattering of politicians attended the event, which honored Kickstarter as the Community Anchor of the year, and which featured a terrific speech by the supremely well-named Brooklyn Industries co-founder, Lexy Funk.
* Growing Cities Screening & Fundraiser @ Lutheran Church of the Messiah (129 Russell St) 6pm, $10, The documentary screening will be followed by a panel discussion with NYC urban farmers, More info
♫ A Program of Hip Hop Related Musical Shorts @ Wythe Hotel (80 Wythe Ave) 6:30pm, $15, Charlie Ahearn (director of Wildstyle) presents a curated series of short films, More info
# Edible Presents How to Prepare an African Feast @ The Brooklyn Brewery (79 North 11th St) 8pm, $5, Featuring Woézö, NYShuk, and Taste of Ethiopia doing demos and Q&As, plus plenty of tasty samples, More info
* Poets at the Yard @ The Yard Williamsburg (33 Nassau Ave) 7pm, FREE, Featuring Russell Dillon / Mary Donnelly / Megin Jimenez / Nicholas Adamski, More info
* Verbal Fight Club @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St) 8:30pm, $?, A space where we can test our own level of endurance and conviction on current issues of great (or little) importance, RSVP
* Across the Hall @ The Hive NYC (20 Cook St) 9pm, $15, Adapted from a film of the same name, this play weaves a suspenseful tale of love, trust, and friendship, More info
♦ The Reject Show @ The Living Gallery (1094 Broadway) 5pm, FREE, A group show featuring printmaking, sculpture, painting, digital art, virtual reality art, and more, RSVP
* Flux Thursday @ Flux Factory (39-31 29th St) 8pm, FREE, Flux’s monthly art salon and potluck, featuring presentations by Wieteke Heldens, Kayti Didriksen, Duo Clakula, and the keepers of the Exquisite Contraption, More info
♫ No Smoking Media Presents MUNCHIES @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St) 8:30pm, FREE, With Veda Rays / Whitewash / Bodega Bay / Young Runner / Lonesome Nick, RSVP
Did you enjoy that amazing mulled wine at the Holiday Market? It was made with mulling spices donated by Greenpoint’s favorite spice, seasoning and rub company. Greenpoint Trading Co.’s has just launched a kickstarter campaign. Their $30,000 goal will be to invest in a build-out of their warehouse, more machines for production, more inventory and more staff. With more inventory and manpower they can take on more customers and expand beyond the East Coast.
This Sunday December 14, 2014 from 1-4pm they will be having a fundraiser at Dirck the Norseman (7 No. 15th St). They will be giving away FREE BEER to anyone who donates to their cause. So donate!
If two recent burglaries are any indication, being a thief in New York is kind of easy. On
September 24th two Macbooks Pros, a MacBook Air, and an iPhone 5S were allegedly stolen from the Kickstarter headquarters on Kent Street. How did they gain access? By holding the door open after a food delivery. That’s it. Continue reading
A few weeks ago, Kickstarter Art Director Alex Proba exhibited her year-long project, “A Poster A Day,” at Space Ninety 8 in Williamsburg. Originally from Lüdenscheid, Germany, the ambitious young designer, illustrator, and art director worked in architecture and product design before making the leap to the start-up world several years ago. We stopped by the exhibit to take some photos and chat with Alex about her project.
Hailing from Brooklyn, NY, Hand Job Academy is vivacious trio of MC’s that came together for one common cause: to fuck shit up. Their Kicktarter campaign to create a music video for their song “Lena Dunham” was successfully funded this past weekend. I recently had a chance to chop it up with them on a rooftop in Greenpoint, where we discussed Hip Hop, having porn actor as fans, E-40 and touring. Continue reading
Heads up, Brooklyn! There are just 47 hours left in this Kickstarter campaign to support a made in Brooklyn production—an original feature length film called “72 Hours, a Brooklyn Love Story,” created by Reel Works Teens and their professional mentors. The comedy will be an interweaving series of narratives revolving around a boy whose infatuation leads him on a three day journey across Brooklyn. Filming will start in August 2014, with teens integrated into a professional crew and teens acting side by side with professional actors. The film will premiere in January 2015. Show your support!
Kickstarter Block Party, Bounce Ballroom, Risky Talking, Jane’s Walk – What’s Happening, Greenpoint? (4/30–5/06)
♦ Revisions Opening Party @ Picture Farm Gallery (338 Wythe Ave) Friday 5/2, 6-10pm, FREE, Join Picture Farm for the debut solo show of surf photographer, Zak Bush, whose photographic journey starts in the cold, clear north of Nova Scotia and the reaches of coastal Canada, More Info
* Free Craft Night @ Brooklyn Craft Co (61 Greenpoint Ave) 6:30pm, FREE, Learn to make dip-dyed sailor knot bracelets, More info
☺Twillerama @ Legion Bar (790 Metropolitan Ave) 8pm, $5, Films screened include shorts by Bill Plympton, Leah Shore, George Griffin, Richard O’Connor, and Signe Baumane, More info
* Three Kinds of Wildness @ Standard Toykraft (722 Metropolitan Ave) 8pm, $12, The newest play from Der Vorführeffekt Theatre features exquisitely crafted puppets, intricately layered soundscapes, and unconventional theatrical lighting, Buy tickets
* “Pirate Nightmare Vice Explosion” Release Party @ Desert Island (540 Metropolitan Ave) 7pm, FREE, Michael Kupperman’s outsider-art collection of adult magazines annotated and defaced by persons unknown to form something entirely new, RSVP
♫ Red Bull Music Academy’s Bounce Ballroom @ Brooklyn Night Bazaar (165 Banker St) 8pm, $10, Four dance styles, four dance crews, four DJs: Bruk Up/Flexing with Bobby Konders, Voguing/Ballroom with MikeQ, Housing/Waacking with Todd Terry, Jersey Club with DJ Sliink, More info
♫ Funky Warsaw @ Warsaw (261 Driggs St) 10pm, FREE, DJ Bobby J plays all vinyl: sassy-ass 60’s soul, funky funk, power-pop, post-apocalyptic punk, and pre-historic hip-hop, More info Continue reading