Despite their New-York-centric pun of a name, rock duo Jamaican Queens actually hail from Detroit. And on the very night their hometown filed for bankruptcy, the band’s equipment seemed destined for similar failure: time stretched on as they pleaded with the crowd for patience, a drum machine too high, vocals too low. But finally, when everything was in place, frontman Ryan Spencer electrified the crowd with his commanding vocals and an extensive musical arsenal behind him— what could best be described as an electronic-hip-hop-rock fusion— producing catchy, dance-ready glam-pop hits. Continue reading
- Flowers or Towers at CitiStorage lot? Activists plan City Hall Rally.
- The Freedom Garden, Dre Day, Puppets & Pasties – What’s Happening, Greenpoint? (2/25–3/03)
- TONIGHT in Greenpoint: HUFF THIS! plays at Coco 66 (10pm)
- Hot Stuff from Greenpoint: Heatonist to Launch a Hot Sauce Tasting Room
- Small Homeless Shelter opens on Russell Street