On Saturday, September 20, the Rebel Alliance – and their friends and foes – will converge for a night of fun and debauchery at t.b.d. brooklyn (224 Franklin St). The huge lounge will be kitted out in Star Wars theme, including a full-sized Han Solo carbonite (see video), Salacious Crumb figure, Sith and Jedi light sabers, Mandalorian warrior probe and more. Original Star Wars artwork will be featured on the walls. Continue reading
♦ BiblioCraft Book Launch Party @ Brooklyn Craft Company (61 Greenpoint Ave) 7–8:30pm, FREE, Celebrate the launch of BiblioCraft: A Modern Crafter’s Guide to Using Library Resources to Jumpstart Creative Projects by Jessica Pigza, with craft projects and pink sugar cookies, RSVP
☺ The Cause B Show VII: Bushwick Bound @ Cobra Club (6 Wyckoff Ave) 8–10:30pm, FREE (plus free beer with donation), this monthly comedy series raises money and awareness for Make The Road, a Bushwick organization that serves and engages New York communities facing shared hardships and injustices, RSVP Continue reading
Not sure if you’ve noticed but cats are everywhere! Big cats, little cats – they are the new spirit animal of this here Brooklyn life. It’s because they are the coolest – even cooler than hipsters. It’s nothing new; Ancient Egyptians sweat the shit out of cats, too.
Maybe we idolize them because we know if they had a choice they wouldn’t participate in our fur ball schemes. Did you see this? 500 Years ago cats were depicted wearing futuristic jetpacks in old drawings. I know my cat would NOT like a jetpack, or a tiara.
What about beards?
Another glorious cat events around town worthy of your attention (even though your cat would definitely be like, “no thanks loser – I’d rather stay home and puke on your computer cables “) – is Brooklyn Craft Company’s “Cat Lady Craft Night” on 4/5.
We chatted with Brett Bara of Bk Craft Co. about why cats are just too cool for school and everything else. Continue reading
* Handmade Treasures Pop Up @ Daddy’s (435 Graham Ave) Saturday 3/8 at 1pm, Free, shop knits, jewelry, ceramics, and scarves, plus get a custom Tim Harrington (of Les Savy Fav) illustration of your spirit animal, there will also be custom pet portraits and custom knit patches (bring your fav digital image to be converted into a knit), with wares from Glitterlimes (real fruit and candy jewelry!) / Muffy brandt (hand-printed leggings, tops, and bags) / Andrew Almone (a.k.a the KNIT MASTER) / Juniortown Knits (hand-dyed yarn) / Jule Van Such (digital prints on silk scarves) / Jena Derman (Executive Sous Chef at Momofuku Milk Bar who creates amazing pastry-like ceramics) / Wowch, with DJ Knife Fight spinning 45s, RSVP
♦ Illustration Workshop @ The Living Gallery (1094 Broadway, Bushwick) 4-6pm, Free, Learn the core basics of buildling shapes, images and characters, this week the theme is the classic Greek tale, RSVP
* Steampunk Tea Party @ Word (126 Franklin St) 7pm, $15 suggested donation, Join author Gail Carriger for a reading, discussion and book signing from her Protectorate literature series, prizes awarded to best steampunk costume, RSVP
♦ Artists’ Reception and Ash Wednesday Worship @ Lutheran Church of the Messiah (129 Russell St) 7-10pm, Free, Explore this local collection of artwork modeled on the Stations of the Cross, RSVP
* Seasonal Home Store Pop-Up @ Home of the Brave (67 West St, #416) 6pm, Free, Have a drink while previewing the home store of independent designers, curated by Wolves Within, RSVP
♦ 60, The Collective Part 2 Art Show @ The Walk Way, Rebar (147 Front St, Dumbo) 7pm, Curators Frankie Velez and Craig Anthony Miller gather 60 artists to create 12” x 12” works, DJ’d by AnaMated, More Info
Escorting your sweetie to the Brooklyn Night Bazaar is a genius Valentine’s date and here is why… First show your lover what a VIP he or she is with the Valentine’s Day SuperPass so you can skip the line in style! (Seriously no one wants to wait in line on a date…) Continue reading
The Valentine’s Market is this Sunday and we already gave you a preview of all the amazing vendors but we wanted to give you the schedule of all the fun and FREE activities we have going on UPSTAIRS “in the loft.”
Also – many of you are wondering – what is this Speed Friending thingy?
♦ People and Places @ Evil and Love Tattoo (211 Franklin St) 7-10pm, Friday 2/7 FREE, Check out this photo exhibit featuring works by Czech skateboard photographer, Hona Zima, a 25-year-old born in a small city near Prague, see his images here, RSVP
* Picture Farm Film Fest @ Picture Farm (338 Wythe Ave) 2-7pm, FREE, First ever PF Film Fest running Saturday 2/8 through Sunday 2/9, opening & closing receptions, Q&As w/directors and writers, a Sat. afternoon shorts, Sat. night documentaries, & Sunday Brunch. All Screenings FREE! Check the website for the full schedule & film details, RSVP
• 94th Precinct Community Council Meeting @ Church of the Ascension (122 Java St) 7-8pm, FREE, ask questions & chat with local police officers & community members
♥ Save Room For Dessert! @ Brooklyn Brewery (8-10pm) $5, Join an expert panel curated by Edible Brooklyn for demos, tips, samples, and a Q&A covering everything you need to know about sweets just in time for V-Day, More Info
♫ Young Yeller (LP Release Party) / Moon Bounce / Kazimier / AIMES (DJ Set) @ Glasslands (289 Kent) 8:30pm, $10, RSVP Continue reading
* Daddy’s Handmade Treasures @ Daddy’s (435 Graham Ave) SATURDAY 11/16, 1-6pm, FREE, Shop for gifts from 13 local and national vendors at this love-filled pop-up shop, while enjoying spiced drinks, tarot readings, and hot dogs from the shiny new stand, highlights include jewelry made from real fruit and candy (yummm) from Glitterlimes BK , laser cut textile kits & designs from Flowerclouds , gorgeous hand-made knits from Liz Collins, silk cashmere and wool scarves from J VanSuch, recycled fingerless gloves from Elisabethan, handsome men’s ties from Sovereign Bech, and DJ Knife Fight spinning 45s all day (plus many, many more), RSVP
♦ Digital Arts Lecture Series: R. Luke DuBois “Sex, Lies, and Data Mining” @ Pratt (Myrtle Hall Lecture Rm 4D-3, 4th Fl) 12:45-1:45pm, FREE, DuBois (composer, artist, & performer) will discuss his ongoing project, which culls data from online dating profiles and maps it according to geographic location, RSVP
* HOW LITTLE BIG IS Kickstarter Wrap Party @ In God We Trust (70 Greenpoint Ave) 6-9pm, Celebrate the success of this local documentary project on kickstarter with original artwork from the subject of the film as well as Amelia Bauer / Tracy Trimmins / Dan Funderburgh / Debra Mintz, with an open bar from BK Brewery and Thorny Rose Winery, RSVP
• GCEF Public Workshop @ Dupont Street Senior Center (80 Dupont St) 6:30-8:30pm, FREE, learn about the GCEF application process for environental improvement projects, while networking with other applicants, don’t forget to sign up in advance, More Info
☺ Heavy Metal Laser Plane @ Legion Bar (790 Metropolitan Ave) 9pm, FREE, Stand up from Seaton C SMith / Michelle Wolf / Lucas Connolly / Nate Fridson, RSVP Continue reading
• Bear Republic Brewing Night @ The Exley (1 Jackson St) 8pm, buy a beer, keep the glass. Flights, pairings, and great company.
• Poker Philanthropy Fundraiser @ t.b.d. Brooklyn (224 Franklin St) 7:30pm, FREE, 20 seat Texas Holdem tournament to benefit the Wounded Warrior Project, RSVP to pokerphilanthropy [at] gmail [dot] com for a guaranteed seat, More Info
• Storytelling with Barry Gifford @ WORD (126 Franklin St) 7-8pm, FREE, Author of Wild at Heart celebrates his new short story collection, The Roy Stories, with a reading accompanied by jazz guitarist, Miles Okazki, RSVP
♫ New Year World Rock Festival 2013 with SKATERS / Hunters / Teen / Free Time / DJ Vapors @ Glasslands (289 Kent) 8:30pm, $12, BUY TIX, RSVP Continue reading
• HÄXAN on 16mm @ Spectacle Theater (124 S 3rd St) 8pm, $5, Filmmaker Joel Schlemowitz will present this silent Swedish movie about demons / torture / witchcraft / Satanic ritual, we hear it’s easily the most metal film ever made (it was banned in the U.S. in 1922), RSVP
♫ SHOT! CMJ Showcase with Hunters / Total Slacker / Sisu / Habibi / Perfect Pussy / DJ Kristina Tequila and I @ the flat (308 Hooper St) 7pm, $8 or free w/ badge