Not sure if you’ve noticed but cats are everywhere! Big cats, little cats – they are the new spirit animal of this here Brooklyn life. It’s because they are the coolest – even cooler than hipsters. It’s nothing new; Ancient Egyptians sweat the shit out of cats, too.
Maybe we idolize them because we know if they had a choice they wouldn’t participate in our fur ball schemes. Did you see this? 500 Years ago cats were depicted wearing futuristic jetpacks in old drawings. I know my cat would NOT like a jetpack, or a tiara.
Another glorious cat events around town worthy of your attention (even though your cat would definitely be like, “no thanks loser – I’d rather stay home and puke on your computer cables “) – is Brooklyn Craft Company’s “Cat Lady Craft Night” on 4/5.
We chatted with Brett Bara of Bk Craft Co. about why cats are just too cool for school and everything else. Continue reading →
* Handmade Treasures Pop Up @ Daddy’s (435 Graham Ave) Saturday 3/8 at 1pm, Free, shop knits, jewelry, ceramics, and scarves, plus get a custom Tim Harrington (of Les Savy Fav) illustration of your spirit animal, there will also be custom pet portraits and custom knit patches (bring your fav digital image to be converted into a knit), with wares from Glitterlimes (real fruit and candy jewelry!) / Muffy brandt (hand-printed leggings, tops, and bags) / Andrew Almone (a.k.a the KNIT MASTER) / Juniortown Knits (hand-dyed yarn) / Jule Van Such (digital prints on silk scarves) / Jena Derman (Executive Sous Chef at Momofuku Milk Bar who creates amazing pastry-like ceramics) / Wowch, with DJ Knife Fight spinning 45s, RSVP
♦Illustration Workshop @ The Living Gallery (1094 Broadway, Bushwick) 4-6pm, Free, Learn the core basics of buildling shapes, images and characters, this week the theme is the classic Greek tale, RSVP
* Steampunk Tea Party @ Word (126 Franklin St) 7pm, $15 suggested donation, Join author Gail Carriger for a reading, discussion and book signing from her Protectorate literature series, prizes awarded to best steampunk costume, RSVP
♦ Artists’ Reception and Ash Wednesday Worship @ Lutheran Church of the Messiah (129 Russell St) 7-10pm, Free, Explore this local collection of artwork modeled on the Stations of the Cross, RSVP
* Seasonal Home Store Pop-Up @ Home of the Brave (67 West St, #416) 6pm, Free, Have a drink while previewing the home store of independent designers, curated by Wolves Within, RSVP
♦ 60, The Collective Part 2 Art Show @ The Walk Way, Rebar (147 Front St, Dumbo) 7pm, Curators Frankie Velez and Craig Anthony Miller gather 60 artists to create 12” x 12” works, DJ’d by AnaMated, More Info
♦ People and Places @ Evil and Love Tattoo (211 Franklin St) 7-10pm, Friday 2/7 FREE, Check out this photo exhibit featuring works by Czech skateboard photographer, Hona Zima, a 25-year-old born in a small city near Prague, see his images here, RSVP
* Picture Farm Film Fest @ Picture Farm (338 Wythe Ave) 2-7pm, FREE, First ever PF Film Fest running Saturday 2/8 through Sunday 2/9, opening & closing receptions, Q&As w/directors and writers, a Sat. afternoon shorts, Sat. night documentaries, & Sunday Brunch. All Screenings FREE! Check the website for the full schedule & film details, RSVP
WEDNESDAY 2/5 • 94th Precinct Community Council Meeting @ Church of the Ascension (122 Java St) 7-8pm, FREE, ask questions & chat with local police officers & community members ♥ Save Room For Dessert! @ Brooklyn Brewery (8-10pm) $5, Join an expert panel curated by Edible Brooklyn for demos, tips, samples, and a Q&A covering everything you need to know about sweets just in time for V-Day, More Info ♫ Young Yeller (LP Release Party) / Moon Bounce / Kazimier / AIMES (DJ Set) @ Glasslands (289 Kent) 8:30pm, $10, RSVP Continue reading →
* Daddy’s Handmade Treasures @ Daddy’s (435 Graham Ave) SATURDAY 11/16, 1-6pm, FREE, Shop for gifts from 13 local and national vendors at this love-filled pop-up shop, while enjoying spiced drinks, tarot readings, and hot dogs from the shiny new stand, highlights include jewelry made from real fruit and candy (yummm) from Glitterlimes BK , laser cut textile kits & designs from Flowerclouds , gorgeous hand-made knits from Liz Collins, silk cashmere and wool scarves from J VanSuch, recycled fingerless gloves from Elisabethan, handsome men’s ties from Sovereign Bech, and DJ Knife Fight spinning 45s all day (plus many, many more), RSVP
WEDNESDAY 11/13 ♦ Digital Arts Lecture Series: R. Luke DuBois “Sex, Lies, and Data Mining” @ Pratt (Myrtle Hall Lecture Rm 4D-3, 4th Fl) 12:45-1:45pm, FREE, DuBois (composer, artist, & performer) will discuss his ongoing project, which culls data from online dating profiles and maps it according to geographic location, RSVP * HOW LITTLE BIG IS Kickstarter Wrap Party @ In God We Trust (70 Greenpoint Ave) 6-9pm, Celebrate the success of this local documentary project on kickstarter with original artwork from the subject of the film as well as Amelia Bauer / Tracy Trimmins / Dan Funderburgh / Debra Mintz, with an open bar from BK Brewery and Thorny Rose Winery, RSVP • GCEF Public Workshop @ Dupont Street Senior Center (80 Dupont St) 6:30-8:30pm, FREE, learn about the GCEF application process for environental improvement projects, while networking with other applicants, don’t forget to sign up in advance,More Info ☺ Heavy Metal Laser Plane @ Legion Bar (790 Metropolitan Ave) 9pm, FREE, Stand up from Seaton C SMith / Michelle Wolf / Lucas Connolly / Nate Fridson, RSVPContinue reading →
WEDNESDAY 10/23 • Bear Republic Brewing Night @ The Exley (1 Jackson St) 8pm, buy a beer, keep the glass. Flights, pairings, and great company. • Poker Philanthropy Fundraiser @ t.b.d. Brooklyn (224 Franklin St) 7:30pm, FREE, 20 seat Texas Holdem tournament to benefit the Wounded Warrior Project, RSVP to pokerphilanthropy [at] gmail [dot] com for a guaranteed seat, More Info • Storytelling with Barry Gifford @ WORD (126 Franklin St) 7-8pm, FREE, Author of Wild at Heart celebrates his new short story collection, The Roy Stories, with a reading accompanied by jazz guitarist, Miles Okazki, RSVP ♫ New Year World Rock Festival 2013 with SKATERS / Hunters / Teen / Free Time / DJ Vapors @ Glasslands (289 Kent) 8:30pm, $12, BUY TIX, RSVP Continue reading →
WEDNESDAY 10/16 • HÄXAN on 16mm @ Spectacle Theater (124 S 3rd St) 8pm, $5, Filmmaker Joel Schlemowitz will present this silent Swedish movie about demons / torture / witchcraft / Satanic ritual, we hear it’s easily the most metal film ever made (it was banned in the U.S. in 1922), RSVP ♫ SHOT! CMJ Showcase with Hunters / Total Slacker / Sisu / Habibi / Perfect Pussy / DJ Kristina Tequila and I @ the flat (308 Hooper St) 7pm, $8 or free w/ badge
♥ Super Saturday @ D.B.A (113 N 7th St) 10pm-4am, Spend Columbus Day (10/12) in true New Orleans style, with DJ Bengey spinning eclectic pop, funk, soul, and classic dance tunes, drink specials all night ($4 pints, $5 16oz cans, & $6 shot + beer combos), RSVP
WEDNESDAY 10/9 • A Quarter Century Covering Afghanistan @ Brooklyn Brewery ( 79 N 11th St) 7:30-10:30, $25, Photographer Robert Nickelsberg shares personal tales from 25 years documenting the conflict in Afghanistan, in conversation with New Yorker war reporter Jon Lee Anderson, More Info ♫ Touche Amore / United Nations / The Saddest Landscape @ 285 Kent, 8pm, $12, BUY TIX ♫ Deltron 3030 / Del tha Funkee Homosapien / Dan the Automator / Kid Koala @ Brooklyn Bowl (61 Wythe Ave) 8pm, $25, BUY TIX * The Brooklyn Waterfront: Past and Present @ Brooklyn Brainery (190 Underhill Ave, Prospect Heights) 8:30-10pm, $10, Learn about the history, development, and rebirthof the waterfront from Greenpoint to Sunset Park, especially relevant given current zoning debates, More Info
Brooklyn Craft Camp FLASH SALE! $100 off with Code FLASH at checkout!
Brooklyn Craft Camp is a day-long DIY extravaganza taking place on Saturday, October 5. Enjoy modern craft and DIY workshops, great food (a Peter Pan donut breakfast and fancy lunch from a private Greenpoint chef!), cocktail hour, a DJ spinning vinyl, photo booth, and DIY nail art bar! Registration includes four 90-minute modern craft classes including terrariums, glass etching, stampmaking, sequin bracelets, suede tassels, knitted necklace, and more — from awesome Brooklyn-based teachers. ADVANCE REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED. Click here to get in on this awesome event!
WEDNESDAY 10/2 • The Final Frontier: Star Trek Trivia @ The Trash Bar (256 Grand St) 7:30-10pm, FREE, Ok nerds– this one’s for you, game winners will receive $20 worth of synthohol (I’m guessing that’s Trekkie speak for alcohol), RSVP ♫ Parquet Courts / The Beets / Yuppies / Future Punx @ Music Hall of Williamsburg (66 N 6th St) 8:30pm, $12, BUY TIX * Punk Rope Happy Hour @ Capri Social Club (156 Calyer St) 9pm, FREE, Start off your night with a Punk Rope class at the Greenpoint Y (free for your 1st 3 visits) and end it with $5 pints of Zywiec, RSVP ♫ Benefit for Ms. Magoo @ Lulu’s (113 Franklin St) 9pm, $7-10, Help raise funds for Ms. Magoo, a King Charles Spaniel with one eye, a broken, tail, and a harrowing rescue story (she was saved by the band SUPER PILOTka in 2005 and now needs help with her veterinary bills), with performances by Martin Biki / SUPER PILOTka / Cinema Cinema