Ever wonder about that little triangle of land on Nassau in Greenpoint with the “Golden Nugget” RV on it? And who the hell lives in there? You can meet the “caretaker” this Sunday!
Center For Investigative Research, “an ad-hoc collective dedicated to searching out the true facts and deeper meanings behind everyday phenomena in Brooklyn and beyond,” is hosting a salon on Sunday February 17th, 2013 at Diamond (43 Franklin St) from 5-7pm, which aims to answer all your questions.
The invitation reads:
“The tiny triangle of land bordered by Banker Street, Nassau Ave, and North 15th, at the border between Williamsburg and Greenpoint, is an enduring Northside mystery. A sea of old-world chaos in the midst of a plague-like profusion of high-end beer gardens, supermummy sanatoriums, yoga studios, and Apple-product saturated co-working spaces, this tiny space beckons the passerby with a nostalgic, disorganized filth all but absent in today’s Brooklyn. While the “Golden Nugget” sign on what appears to be a food wagon hints as some comestible design, the deeper story has remained tantalizingly elusive—until now.
Come meet the caretaker of this semi-conscious urban installation, and hear about his ambitious plans for a restaurant serving animal-shaped children’s sandwiches, plexiglass-clad indoor ice-rinks, and an Azerbaijani spit-roasted lamb festival. While we cannot tell you his name, you can be sure his raconteuring skills are legend…”
Our great friend Oriana from Brooklyn Spaces is making a presentation about her project this Sunday September 23rd, 2012 from 7-11pm at Animus Art Salon. Other presenters include: Bryn Larson of Oxheart, Laura Bluher, Irons Grishina, Murjani Holmes, ND’A, Bailey Catherine Dorothea Nolan presents BabySkinGlove, Linden Renz of Mad Sharpe Productions, with a performance by Finnegan.
There will also be: The Tube Party
On a recent family trip to Göteborg, Ventiko went bonkers for tubes and brought some back for us all to try! Come and sample all the delicious flavors—including Reindeer!
Thru 9/22 - Et cetera 2012@ Public Assembly (70 No. 6th St) A week of art, talks, films, comedy, learning, music and dancing.
• Comics to Watch Showcase @ Creek and Cave (10-93 Jackson Ave., LIC) 8pm, 2012 Comedy Central’s Comics to Watch Showcase sponsored by Caroline’s, line-up is on the down low but the laughs are going to be through the roof! Hosted by Nick Turner.
♫ Rock the Pulaski Benefitfor North Brooklyn Boat @ Broadway Stages Boatyard (437 McGuinness Blvd) 6pm, $5, games, drinks, food, music: The Hungry March Band / Red Bedlam / Free Advice /The Alex Mallett Band / Time Travelers, RSVP
♫ Scammers / Denver Hughes / Idaho Joe Winslow @ The Place (269 Norman Av) 8pm, $7
♫ The Babies, K-Holes, Sundelles @ Death by Audio (49 S 2nd St) 8pm, $7
♫ Fan-Tan, My Summer, Imaginary Weapons @ Big Snow (89 Varet St) 8pm, $7
* 2nd Annual Autumnal Equinox Pumking Breakfast @ The Diamond Bar (43 Franklin St) 10:49am-12:19pm, the first keg of Southern Tier Pumking will be tapped along with while Dave’s Mom and Dad will be serving pumpkin pie, cinnamon twists, and pancakes for free (limited quanities) to all drinkers.
• Sew a Merit Badge @ Greenpoint Library (107 Norman Ave) 12-2pm, Free, Join Greenpoint Hand Skills group for a free craft lesson to learn how to embroider merit badges, Coffee from Cup, Donuts from Peter Pan
♦ Newtown Creek Armada @ Newtown Creek Nature Walk (Paidge Ave & Provost St) 1-4pm, FREE, an art installation that invites the public to explore the creek, visitors will pilot a fleet of artist-made, miniature, remote-control boats along the creek’s surface, More Info
♫ Family Dance Party @ McGolrick Park, 4-7pm, Join Friends of McGolrick Park Association for a dance party under the pavilion! Bring a picnic and relish the nice weather. Rain location: Church of the Messiah (129 Russell St)
♫ Attacca Quartet @ East River State Park (No. 8th St & Kent Ave) 5:30pm, Graduate Resident String Quartet of The Juilliard School
♦ Geometricks @ Gallery Brooklyn (351 Van Brunt St, Red Hook) 6-9pm Opening Reception featuring the works of Augustine Kofie, Chor Boogie, Drew Tyndell, Feral Child, Hellbent, Jaye Moon, Maya Hayuk, MOMO, OLEK, OverUnder, See One, curated by Hellbent, presented by Brooklyn Street Art
♫ Heaven’s Gate / Life Size Maps / Butter The Children / Turnip King @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St) 8pm
♦ Panel Discussion: What is Collage? @ Ruth Phaneuf Fine Arts (10-61 Jackson Ave, LIC, 2nd Fl) 4-6pm, What was once considered an artistic reaction to the specific age of communication can be seen in retrospect as a responsive method to connect art and the world in any age. Moderated by Ruth Phaneuf and Michael Lee with participating artists Sara Klar, Abe McNally and Jason Tomme.
* Masters of Social Gastronomy Get Shelved: Preservatives & Convenience Food @ Public Assembly (70 No. 6th St) 7-9pm, FREE lecture, Why does your bacon clamor about its lack of nitrites, but your soda keeps quiet about sodium benzoate? Learn to read the small print of food labeling with terrifying ease!
• Pitchapalooza @ Word (126 Franklin St) 7-9pm, American Idol for books. Each writer gets one minuteto pitch their book! More info
* Greenpointers’ Pick
♥ Pheremones Likely
♦ Art Event