Are you so over January? Remember our Toxic Codependent Halloween Bash? The same handsome and skilled Mr. NYSE will be at the Warsaw (261 Driggs Ave) tonight at 9pm, playing tunes that will make you shake the cold out of your bones and forget about winter! Bring your friends. No cover.
This is going to be a lot of fun!
Tags: Brooklyn, dance, dance party, DJ, event, fun, Greenpoint, greenpointers event, mr. nyse, Music, nightlife
We know – January sucks! Escape the Doldrums and dance the night away at Warsaw (261 Driggs Ave) on Friday, February 1, 2013 at 9pm. Music by Mr. Nyse. No Cover!
This Sunday 10/7 is the 75th Annual Pulaski Day Parade along 5th Ave in NYC!
Saturday 10/6 is the Borscht Cook Off! at McCarren Park Greenmarket 11am-noon. Sample the traditional Polish beet soup for yourself and cast your vote for the local restaurant that reigns supreme. Local restaurants and local beets. You can’t beat that!
Polish American Dance Company is offering 6 Weeks of FREE Polish Folk Dance Workshop on Fridays starting on October 12 – November 16, 2012, 7:00 – 8:00 pm at Warsaw (261 Driggs Ave – 3rd Fl).
Tags: Brooklyn, cooking competition, dance, eating, fall, folk dance, Food, Greenpoint, polish community, polish folk dance, pulaski day parade, soup, traditional polish dance
For more events, check out the calendar. Looking for something? Check the directory.
♥ Top Gun @ Summercreen (McCarren Park – N 12th & Bedford Ave) 6-10pm, music, food, drinks, movie starts at dusk
• Wall-E & The Rock Doves (for kids) @ East River State Park (No. 8th St & Kent Ave) 6:30pm, FREE
♫ Joan Jett @ Seaside Concerts – Coney Island (West 21st St and Surf Ave) 7:30pm, FREE
* All Weekend – Greenpoint Pre-Apocalyptic Theatre Festival *
Various Locations, $10/day, supports Greenpoint Church Soup Kitchen, Full Schedule
♫ An Evening with Cake @ Williamsburg Park (50 Kent Avenue) 6pm, Buy Tix
• GymD8ter Speed Dating @ Human@Ease (31 Nassau Ave) 7pm, $35, spend the evening working out and getting to know someone new before we head next door for drinks and a late happy hour, h’orderves & drinks all night
♦ Amanda LaMarco Artist Opening @ The One Well (165 Greenpoint Ave) 7-10pm, live music by Baba Yaga (unplugged), local fine art, and delicious wine & cheese, RSVP
♦ Kickoff Party for the Fall Fundraiser @ Vaudeville Park (26 Bushwick Ave) 7:30pm, FREE, super fancy cocktails, live DJ sets by Baby Copperhead, Blake 0, and Joey Johnson
♫ Cruel Summer 80s Dance Party @ Bell House (149 7th St., Gowanus) 8am-2pm, $10, More info
♫ Darlings, Sundelles, Automotive Highschool @ Glasslands (289 Kent Ave) 8:30pm, $8
* Open Canoe Paddle @ NBBC Boatyard (49 Ash St) 4:30-7:30pm, More info
♫ Chappo / The Terror Pigeon Dance Revolt @ Delinquency (1031 Grand St.) 8pm
• Monthly Meeting for Friends of McGolrick Park @ (McGolrick Park Pavilion) 1pm, decide how we’re going to spend our Exxon money and raise some more, RSVP
• Words by the Water: Melville House Night @ East River State Park (Kent Avenue at N. 9th St) 7-8pm, Free, outdoor reading series, More info
* The Last Bohemia with Robert Anasi @ Word (126 Franklin St) 7pm, Anasi lived in Williamsburg from the early ’90s to the late 2000s and witnessed first-hand the rapid changes in the neighborhood. Come talk local history with him as he presents his memoir.
♫ Publicist, Free Blood, TV Baby, DJ DirtyFinger @ Death By Audio (49 S 2nd St) 8pm, $7
• Dalaga What Not To Wear Viewing Party @ TBD (224 Franklin St) 10-11pm, watch the premiere of Dalaga on What Not To on their amazing big screen TVs and projection screen!
♫ Zebros @ Pete’s Candy Store (709 Lorimer St) 11pm, RSVP
* Greenpointers’ Pick
♥ Pheremones Likely
♦ Art Event
Category: What's Happening?
Tags: art openings, art shows, benefits, book events, Brooklyn, Bushwick, children's events, community event, Concerts, dance, dance party, events, free concerts, free events, fun, fundraisers, Greenpoint, happenings, kids events, meeting, movies, Music, music shows, park, plans, readings, recreation, screenings, summer events, summerscreen, things to do, weekend, Williamsburg
I rarely travel outside the Great Walls of Greenpoint, but I will make the exception and travel to the other superfund (Gowanus) for this 80s party on Friday night! Presented by two of the best Brooklyn blogs, The Skint & Brooklyn Based, it is sure to be a night of music that takes you back, “The Cure, The Go-Gos, MJ, Sheila E., Prince and Run-D.M.C.,” a live 80s band, cheap $6 cocktails, “The Bananarama, and The Miami Vice, plus the trashiest snack ever, Doritos and nacho cheese.” Get tickets in advance and use the code 1980 for half off!
Cruel Summer 80s Dance Party
Friday August 10th, 2012
The Bell House
149 7th St., Gowanus
It’s August everyone! That means savor the rest of what’s left of the summer. Watch an outdoor movie. Get out of town. Hit the beach. Take an evening bike ride or how about a canoe paddle? Because before you know it, we’ll be snowed in. Unless this global warming thing turns NY into Florida. Fingers crossed.
Find more events on our calendar. Submit and event here. Looking for a restaurant, bar, art gallery, yoga studio or local services? Check out our directory.
* Princess Bride @ McCarren Park (Bedford & No. 12th St) 6-10pm, Free, Music by Extreme Animals / Soft Circle / PC Worship
♫ Family Band / Jennifer Castle / El Dorado @ Union Pool (484 Union Ave) 9pm, $8
♫ Big Black Cloud / Girls of Porn / Trabajo, Necking @ Death By Audio (49 S 2nd St) 8pm, $7
♫ Thursday 8/2 – Monday 8/6 – Do The Reggae @ BAM (30 Lafayette Ave) Celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Jamaican independence at BAMcinématek with this 14-film series dedicated to the country’s unique and widely influential musical tradition, More info
♦ Where We Are @ Picture Farm (338 Wythe Ave) 6-9pm, Opening Exhibition of paintings by Josh Goldberg, RSVP
♫ SUMMERSTARZ 2012 (for kids) @ East River State Park (North 8th St & Kent Ave) 6:30pm, FREE, music from Brooklyn Wind Symphony, screening of Kung Fu Panda 2
• Hearken: A Reading @ Manhattan Inn (632 Manhattan Ave) 7pm, an evening with Karolina Waclawiak, James Yeh, and Tobias Carroll. Three of North Brooklyn’s finest writers. Shooting from the hip, RSVP
♫ Washed Out / Chairlift / Lemonade @ House of Vans (25 Franklin St) 7pm, Free, All ages
♦ Summer Small Works Show & Doggy Wedding @ Greenpoint Gallery (390 McGuinness Blvd) 8pm, More info
♫ Splash / Friends / Janka Nabay / Helado Negro / Uumans @ 285 Kent, 8pm, $10, all ages
♫ Arbitration Rock Festival @ Onderdonk House (1820 Flushing Ave., Ridgewood) Noon-10pm, $10, rain or shine, Live Music: Winter Ring / Activists/Dictators / Uzuhi / Springs / Gunfight! / Katie Mullins / Bad Credit No Credit / Backwords / Not Blood Paint / PassKontrol, RSVP
♫ Warm Up w/ Jamie XX / Pearson Sound / Lemonade / Sinjin Hawke / Zora Jones @ PS1 (22-25 Jackson Ave, LIC) 2pm, $15
* Open Canoe Paddle @ NBBC Boat Yard (49 Ash St) 5:30-8:45pm, $5 insurance fee, an open canoe paddle along the North Brooklyn shoreline to Bushwick Inlet, More info
♫ Miniature Tigers / French Horn Rebellion / Joywave @ Music Hall of Williamsburg (66 N. 6th St.) 8pm, $13
* Tour “The Insalubrious Valley” with NCA Historian Mitch Waxman @ (Meet: the corner of Grand St and Morgan Ave) 11am-2pm, $20, the currently undefended border of Brooklyn and Queens, and the place where the industrial revolution actually happened, provides a dramatic and picturesque setting for this exploration. Visiting two movable bridges, the still standing remains of an early 19th century highway, and a forgotten tributary of the larger waterway, BUY TIX
♫ DIY Jam – BBALL Tournament w/ CSC Funk Band @ Cooper Park, noon, FREE, BBQ
♫ Rock-a-way Summer: Celebrating 50th Anniversary of Jamaican Independence @ Beach 96th St (Rockaway, Queens) noon-9pm, FREE, music, food, water balloon fight!
♫ Mad Decent Block Party w/ Major Lazer / Erol Aikan / Bonde Do Role / Lunice / Riff Raff / Mr. Muthafuckin eXquire & more @ Williamsburg Park (50 Kent Ave) 2pm, FREE
♦ Comics Jam with Michel Levesque @ Word (126 Franklin St) 3pm, Attendees will create a collaborative comic together, led by Levesque, and will discuss storytelling and the art form, RSVP jenn (at) word brooklyn.com
• Words by the Water @ East River State Park (Kent @ No. 9th St) 7pm, outdoor reading series featuring Soho Crime authors James Benn, Henry Chang, and Timothy Hallinan, More info
• 94th Precinct’s National Night Out @ 94th Precinct (Lorimer St betw. Calyer St and Meserole Ave) 6-9pm, Free food, police displays, music, fun for all!
* Greenpointers’ Pick
♥ Pheremones Likely
♦ Art Event
Category: What's Happening?
Tags: art exhibit, art opening, benefit, block party, Brooklyn, Bushwick, concert, dance, events, film, film festival, Free, free events, Fundraiser, Greenpoint, happenings, jamaican independence day, literature, live music, Music, music festival, music show, opening reception, readings, rockaway, screenings, weekend, Williamsburg, workshop
Three years ago, I went to a friend’s record release party at a club in New York City. In an adjacent room, there was a DJ playing Noel’s “Silent Morning“. I walked in, listened to this Classic record at full club volume, and it was like hearing it for the first time. I being not old enough to hear this record in a club when it first came out understood immediately why this music became huge in the first place. Continue reading
Did you come to the Greenpointers Gallery Tour After Party? Remember that awesome DJ that was making you shake it all night long? That is Brooklyn Soul Club with Jack Dutone! It’s the slickest hip-hop and finest soul music dance party around!
Don’t miss Brooklyn Soul Club this Friday April 6th at 10pm at Kinfolk Studios!
***Brooklyn Soul Club is every first Friday at Kinfolk Studios, 90 Wythe Ave***
Follow Brooklyn Soul Club on Facebook for updates, photos, and mixes.
Wax Implosion, Automatic Reaction NYC
Sponsored post courtesy of Brooklyn Soul Club.
Tags: automatic reaction nyc, brooklyn soul club, dance, dance party, dancing, DJ, events, first fridays, friday, fun, hip-hop, kinfolk studios, Music, records, soul, wax implosion, what's happening