Last summer, a vibrant new mural went up in Greenpoint at 261 Driggs Avenue, the location of the Polish National Home and the popular music venue, The Warsaw. Created by Polish-American artist Rafal Pisarczyk, the artwork commemorated the 70th anniversary of the Warsaw Uprising (not to be confused with the earlier Warsaw Ghetto Uprising). Continue reading
Q & A with Greenpointer Eric Weiner of the Wild Honey Pie + Win Tickets to On The Mountain Season 2 Interactive Music Video Ski Trip
If you love music, videos, community, innovation, and fun, I hope you follow The Wild Honey Pie. It is a Greenpoint-based “online publication, music media, and events promotion collective.” I recently spoke with founder/CEO Eric Weiner and editorial director/CFO Lauren McKinney at the Wild Honey Pie home office on Franklin Street. We talked about many things including their upcoming second season of On the Mountain, an interactive recording series that will feature six bands and provide free lodging, ski passes, and rentals to 100 lucky music fans to participate in the taping. Read on for the conversation and details on how you can be part of the event. Continue reading
As a follow up to our Northside Festival preview, here is a recap of some of the shows we got to catch during the past weekend long festival.
All Axis Music Live Video Series Interview and Ticket Giveaway For The Men and Obits at The Wick (5/10)
I’ve recently had the pleasure of discovering All Axis Music, a video series of live performances shot at venues all over the city. I spoke with the man behind the project, Chris Piazza. Besides a cool interview, we have coordinated a ticket giveaway for the next show he’ll be shooting! That’s right, you have a chance to win free tickets to see The Men, Obits, and Nude Beach at The Wick (260 Meserole St.) this Saturday.
TONIGHT – 3/20 boasts two excellent options. One of my favorite bands in the city is Beat Radio. Singer and guitarist Brian Sendrowitz will be doing a solo set at Spike Hill (186 Bedford Avenue), on a bill of close friends that includes Kid in the Attic (Maia Macdonald), Will Stratton, and Stay Indoors. Continue reading
* Handmade Treasures Pop Up @ Daddy’s (435 Graham Ave) Saturday 3/8 at 1pm, Free, shop knits, jewelry, ceramics, and scarves, plus get a custom Tim Harrington (of Les Savy Fav) illustration of your spirit animal, there will also be custom pet portraits and custom knit patches (bring your fav digital image to be converted into a knit), with wares from Glitterlimes (real fruit and candy jewelry!) / Muffy brandt (hand-printed leggings, tops, and bags) / Andrew Almone (a.k.a the KNIT MASTER) / Juniortown Knits (hand-dyed yarn) / Jule Van Such (digital prints on silk scarves) / Jena Derman (Executive Sous Chef at Momofuku Milk Bar who creates amazing pastry-like ceramics) / Wowch, with DJ Knife Fight spinning 45s, RSVP
♦ Illustration Workshop @ The Living Gallery (1094 Broadway, Bushwick) 4-6pm, Free, Learn the core basics of buildling shapes, images and characters, this week the theme is the classic Greek tale, RSVP
* Steampunk Tea Party @ Word (126 Franklin St) 7pm, $15 suggested donation, Join author Gail Carriger for a reading, discussion and book signing from her Protectorate literature series, prizes awarded to best steampunk costume, RSVP
♦ Artists’ Reception and Ash Wednesday Worship @ Lutheran Church of the Messiah (129 Russell St) 7-10pm, Free, Explore this local collection of artwork modeled on the Stations of the Cross, RSVP
* Seasonal Home Store Pop-Up @ Home of the Brave (67 West St, #416) 6pm, Free, Have a drink while previewing the home store of independent designers, curated by Wolves Within, RSVP
♦ 60, The Collective Part 2 Art Show @ The Walk Way, Rebar (147 Front St, Dumbo) 7pm, Curators Frankie Velez and Craig Anthony Miller gather 60 artists to create 12” x 12” works, DJ’d by AnaMated, More Info
• The Loaded Canon @ Brooklyn Oenology (209 Wythe Ave #106) 7pm, FREE, hear the latest works-in-progress from NYC’s rising generation of writings, while savoring drinks inspired by the words you’re hearing, live music from Teen Girl Scientist Monthly, RSVP
• Greenpoint Designers January Meet Up @ The Pencil Factory (122 West St) 7pm, FREE, sip hot toddies and get cozy with fellow local designers, RSVP
♫ 5th NYC Busker Ball @ Spike Hill (184 Bedford Ave) 7:30pm, FREE (w/ Suggested Donation), Listen to the musical stylings of this curated bunch of subway buskers featuring Gabe Royal / Blueberryseason / Theo Eastwind Band, More Info
*♫ Johanna Samuels / Lip Talk / Lazer Cake @ Cameo Gallery (93 N6th St) 8pm, $8, BUY TIX
♫ Guilty Pleasures: Music You Hate to Love @ The Diamond (43 Franklin St) 8pm, FREE, listen to all the songs that make you nostalgic for the times you hated them, More Info
♫ Kiss & Tell 8 Year Anniversary @ Baby’s All Right (146 Broadway) 9pm-4am, $12, with performances from The Crystal Ark / THe Neurotic Drum Band / Analog Soul, BUY TIX Continue reading
Harry & The Potters, Cookie Party & A Very Metal Christmas– What’s Happening, Greenpoint? (12/18-12/24)
• Pictures With Santa @ Community Garden near the McCarren Park Dog Run, SATURDAY (12/21), 12-4pm, FREE, put your furry friends in their best seasonal sweaters (ideally you have one to match) and get your family photo snapped with Santa! Holiday card, complete.
There are more events in our weekly calendar.
Submit Greenpoint events, too!
• How Metal Stole Christmas Trivia Extravaganza @ Trash Bar (256 Grand St) 7:30-10pm, FREE, Grinch it up at this black Christmas revelry, with cheap drink specials and bonus points to any team who comes dressed in leather or as a grumpy cat
♫ BestNewBands.com Showcase with Honduras / Shy Hunters / The Wendigo / Spirit Plate / Jumpers @ Matchless (557 Manhattan Ave) 8pm, $7, RSVP
♫ Every Time I Die / LetLive / Code Orange Kids / Angel Du$t @ Saint Vitus Bar (1120 Manhattan Ave) 8pm, SOLD OUT, RSVP
# Rarities from the Cellar @ Diamond Bar (43 Franklin St) 8pm, $20, Sample craft beers from the hidden Diamond vault, while munching on smoked schevre and aged cheddar (drool), More Info
♫ Lilith Velkor / Larp / Dirt Bikes / (E) Motion Picture @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St) 8pm, FREE, RSVP
UPDATE: We have a winner for this week’s concert at Brooklyn Bowl. Greenpointers reader, Robi C., guessed the correct answer “Ping Pong” and was randomly selected to receive the two tickets.
Greenpointers.com & Brooklyn Bowl have joined forces to get you into some awesome concerts for free! Our second in a series of concert ticket giveaways this Holiday season continues with cult favorite: Guster!
Formed in 1991, Guster is an acoustic-pop rock band known for its live performances and humor. They return to Brooklyn this Sunday afternoon, December 1, 2013 for a special day time performance at Brooklyn Bowl.
Now it’s time to brush up on your knowledge of Guster for your chance to win two tickets worth over $90!!
Answer the following question in the comments below:
What type of balls have been known to be thrown at Guster concerts? *
Hint: This is a G-rated question.
Deadline to comment: Tonight, 11/25/13, 11:59pm
One winner will be chosen randomly to receive two tickets. Winner will be announced tomorrow morning and emailed. Good luck!
Brooklyn Bowl 61 Wythe Avenue Brooklyn, NY 11249
Sun, December 1, 2013
Doors: 12:00 pm / Show: 2:00 pm
Sponsored Post courtesy of Brooklyn Bowl
Haiyan Relief, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, & the British Are Coming – What’s Happening, Greenpoint? (11/20-11/26)
♦ Drawing 101 @ The Living Gallery (1094 Broadway, Bushwick) 4-6pm, $15 Suggested Donation, Improve those eye-hand coordination skills and learn the basics of drawing, with refreshers on line weight, contrast, perspective, and composition, guided practice for beginners and seasoned artists, RSVP
# Gluten Free Beer and Burger Night @ One Stop Beer Shop (134 Kingsland Ave) 7-10pm, $16, sip on cider and a gluten free beer called Plasma (interesting name…), and Margabuchas (kombucha mixed drinks), and fight the pesky enemy of your digestive system, RSVP
• No Man’s Land Launch Party @ Good Co. (10 Hope St) 7pm, FREE, celebrate the launch of this western storytelling app with happy hour (until 8pm), live music by Chase King of Slow Country, and a demo, RSVP
♫ Tyburn Saints / The Howlin’ Houndogs / Ray Mazza / Tiny Hazard / Relatives / Names of War / Our Griffins @ The Paper Box (17 Meadow St, Bushwick) 8pm, $7, BUY TIX
♫ Typhoon Haiyan Benefit Show @ 285 Kent, 8pm, $7 adv/ $10 door, All proceeds benefit grassroots organizations in the Philippines, with music from Ava Luna / Rebel Diaz / Celestial Shore / Eartheater, RSVP, BUY TIX, DONATE Continue reading