“What good is the warmth of summer, without the cold of winter to give it sweetness.”
― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
We know it is cold out there but layer up and embrace winter, you will be complaining about how hot it is before you know it!
There are more events in our weekly calendar. Submit Greenpoint events, too!
• Heavy Metal Laser Plane Comedy Show @ Legion Bar (790 Metropolitan Ave.) 7-9pm, “Th
is lineup must have the flu (not really) because it’s totes fuckin SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” More info
♫Wands/ZenaRd./SpanishWaves/BrickFactory @The Grand Victory (245 Grand St) 8pm $8 RSVP
• Greenpoint Chamber of Commerce Mixer @ Citi Storage (5 No. 11th St) 6:30-8:30pm
• Wild Yaks / Unstoppable Death Machines / Habibi / Violent Bullshit / Ken Southrock / DJ Dirtyfinger @ 285 Kent, 8pm, $10
♫Snowmine/Faye/Dalton @Glasslands (289 Kent) 8:30pm $10 RSVP
• The Shivers / The Sparrow / Scott Rudd / Paloma Gil @ Greenpoint Reformed Church (136 Milton St) 7:30-11pm, A night of beautiful, heartfelt, spiritually inspired music to celebrated Keith Zarriello’s (The Shiver’s) new solo project, Moon Casale
Brooklyn Art Show @NoBar BKNY (608 Nostrand Ave) 7-11pm, An all-star night of Art, Booze & Live Painting, featured artists: Jaded Vandeusen, Aric Calfee, Billy Roids and Trice.
♫Pluto Party: N.Y. Edition @Present Company (29 Wythe Ave) 9pm FREE, The Pluto party is a roving dance party emphasizing on the best vintage and contemporary dance music and a hand crafted, mind-expanding visual environment. RSVP
♫AWKWAFINA hosts the best dance party EVER @ The Flat (308 Hooper St) 11pm, A night of a pure madness by DJ KDS of East Village Radio, feat. Christian Coleman and special appearance by LYONS. RSVP and Video
• Idiotarod @ All Over Brooklyn, Noon, The IDIOTAROD is the urban version of the Alaskan Iditarod dogsled race – but instead of dogs, it’s people, instead of sleds, it’s shopping carts, and instead of the frozen Alaskan tundra, it’s frozen NYC, More info
• Après Ski Fondue Party @ Diamond Bar (43 Franklin St) 7pm, Duck Buddies / Plate Tectonics (Brew n’ Chew & Chili Cook-off Winners / Sunday Supper #1) serving up their best fondue.
• The G’it Down @ Huckleberry Bar (588 Grand St) 10pm, DJs AKAAP! & Young Rios, cheap drinks, Disco, Funk, Boogie, Hip-Hop, Rap, RSVP
• P.F.C John P Czachor VFW Post 5806 Junior Girls Unit Bake Sale @ 181 Grand St, 10am-3pm, Raising Money to go on their “big trip”
• Chili Cook-Off @ The Habitat (988 Manhattan Ave) 5:30-11:30pm, $5, Judge 10 Chili Competitors plus raffle prizes
• Open General Public Meeting Bushwick Open Studios @ Bat Haus Coworking Space (279 Starr St) 7-9pm, RSVP
•Dicks Open Mic @ The Creek and The Cave (10-93 Jackson Ave, LIC), Lottery of 10 comics doing 5 mins a piece. Interested in performing email dicksmondaymic (at)gmail.com
• Waterproof Towel Comedy Show @ Warsaw (261 Driggs Ave) 8:30-10pm, a new stand-up comedy show in Greenpoint hosted by Charlie Kasov and Susumu Kamijo, headliner will be the Reformed Whores, a two-woman musical comedy act.
♫Karlie Bruce/My Midnight Heart @ Manhattan Inn (632 Manhattan Ave) 10pm
FREE, Australian folk-rock singer Karlie Bruce is one of the many voices behind 17-piece Brooklyn disco project Escort. More Info
♫Super Crush Studio Present: The New___Sounds @ Bossa Nova Civic Club (1271 Myrtle Ave) 10pm-3am FREE, Presenting a night of music selected by new and up-and-coming artists. RSVP
* Greenpointers’ Pick
♥ Pheremones likely
♦ Art Event
Category: Events, What's Happening?
Tags: awkwafina, Brooklyn, bushwick open studios, Comedy events, Concerts, dance party, food event, Greenpoint, nightlife, NYC Idiotarod, Pluto Party: N.Y Edition, shows
Bushwick Open Studios was an amazing success. While the giant newspaper map was unhelpful in terms of navigating the huge area, especially via bicycle (the preferred method of travel for art loving hipsters), we still managed to find our way by focusing on the studios of friends and wondering the streets. When someone suggested we check out the map, I felt like I would have a seizure. “Just put that away!” We did cover a lot of ground in a short time and I humbly bow down to the organizers, who took on a beast and slayed it.
♦ Flux Death Match: The New Aesthetic @ Flux Factory (39-31 29th St, LIC) 8-11pm, Panelists will argue over The New Aesthetic – a recent visual culture meme born of a Tumblr account and propelled into heated on- and off-line discussions, More info
• Pickling Workshop with Kate Payne @ Word (126 Franklin St) $30, In this interactive class you’ll learn about small-batch pickling and fermentation, includes a copy of her book The Hip Girl’s Guide to Homemaking, Buy Tix
♥ Ladies Arm Wrestling @ The Diamond (43 Franklin St.) 8:30-10:30pm, $3 to compete, includes a free beer, pre-register by 8:15, free to watch
♦ The Visitor @ Black and White Gallery/Project Space (483 Driggs Ave) Opening Reception 6-9pm, Suggestive of the cult sci-fi film The Man Who Fell to Earth starring David Bowie. In the context of the show the viewer is the Visitor, an Other who is invited to penetrate the artists’ seemingly fantastical but plausible realms in an attempt to save his own personal home planet, More info
• Chicago Brooklyn @ Book Thug Nation (100 N3rd St.) 7-9pm, The Chicago Center for Literature and Photography brings a showcase of its published writers to town for a reading, joined by Moonshot Magazine and hosted by Brooklyn Spaces
♫ noon:30/ play/start / Leda w/ DJ Sebastian @ Union Pool (484 Union Ave) 8pm, $8, presented by Permanent Waves, a network of feminist artists and activists who want to challenge gender inequality as it manifests itself in art, politics, and our personal lives, and want you to join, RSVP
♦♦♦All Weekend: Bushwick Open Studios ♦♦♦
An open and inclusive event that benefits the neighborhood by sharing artistic projects and encouraging community interaction and dialogue. BOS brings the neighborhood’s thousands of artists and performers out into the streets and in view of each other, other community residents, and the general public, More info
• McCarren 5K Run/Walk 2012 @ McCarren Park, 10am, Funds raised from this Run/Walk will help support programs and services to over 2,500 children and youth of modest means in their summer camp and after school programs in North Brooklyn, Event Brochure, Register
♦ The Project Collective, Art & Music Fundraiser @ Dekalb Market (138 Wiloughby St) 10am-10pm, proceeds from the event will go to UpRoar Art, a non-profit working very hard to bring free or low-cost art education to Brooklyn Public Schools and other arts organizations, artwork, events include, newspaper planting pots for kids, nail art by Ria Nailz, tarot card reading, music by SuperCrush, RSVP
• Sun Boxes @ Brooklyn Botanic Garden for AMBLE (900 Washington Ave.) 12pm, Sun-Boxes, a solar-powered sound installation from Craig Colorusso, presented by Paper Garden Records, will make for a beautiful day as you wander through the Gardens, RSVP
• Summer Stand-Up to Poverty Comedy Show and Fundraiser BBQ @ The Cee Flat (988 Manhattan Ave) 4pm, The Asian Affairs Committee of UNA-SNY Young Professionals invites you to an evening comedy performance and summer barbecue to benefit humanitarian aid, RSVP
♦ DIVISION 169 @ Rawson Projects (223 Franklin St) 6-8pm, a group exhibition curated by Justin Adian and Wendy White, RSVP
♫ Ondyne’s Demise/Lussuria/Believer @ Big Sky Works (29 Wythe Ave) 8:30pm, $10, a haunting evening of dark music with trapeze and dance, RSVP
* Opening Day: McGlorick Park Farmers Market @ McGolick Park (Russell St) 11am-4pm, Click here for vendors
♫ Frolic! Rock Fest @ CitiStorage (5 North 11th St.) 12-6pm, family event on the East River will featuring children’s amusement rides, BBQ food, Brooklyn Brewery beer, Italian ices by Uncle Louie G’s, and the Frolic! Rock Fest – a free concert, all proceeds from the event will benefit Camp Brooklyn Fund RSVP
♫ Collect-i-Bowl Record Show @ Brooklyn Bowl (61 Wythe Ave.) 11am-6pm, FREE, 1000’s of rare and collectible vinyl, DVD’s, CDs and more! Two full bars, Blue Ribbon food, DJ Uncle Mike, 16 bowling lanes, More info
♥ The History of Fun and Games @ Public Assembly (70 N6th St), 7pm Free, presented by SASS: What did people in history do when they weren’t busy killing each other and dying of preventable causes?
* Greenpointers’ Pick
♥ Pheremones Likely
♦ Art Event
Category: What's Happening?
Tags: art, Bars, BOS 2012, Brooklyn, Bushwick, bushwick open studios, community events, Concerts, events, fundraisers, Greenpoint, happenings, jen g, lectures, Music, Openings, shows, talks, Williamsburg