Electronics can be so cold and boring. Featured vendor IDSO’s Lori Idso warms them up with her unique handmade device sleeves for laptops and cell phones.
Lori is a Greenpointers with many passions and an entrepreneurial itch, “I’m constantly knitting, sewing, cooking, baking, brewing. I finally decided to pick a project, set up an Etsy store, and go from there,” she said. IDSO was born. Continue reading
Tags: accessories, brooklyn shopping, electronics, featured vendor, gifts, Greenpoint, handmade, holiday market, holiday shopping, IDSO, local shopping
If Stevie Nicks had a pixie daughter, her closet would look like The Nomad Truck. Aztec print shirts, sleek side-slit maxi skirts, lace crop tops, rough and tumble quartz and bullet jewelry. The Nomad Truck isn’t a run-of-the-mill indie darling boutique. It’s a mobile store with gypsy sensibilities.
Food trucks are all the rage, from sampling tacos to cupcakes. So, why not fashion? Founder, Jessie Goldenberg, provides all the fixings of a brick and mortar flagship — a dressing room, artfully curated products, displays that utilize alternative sentiments to stand out. There are stacks of evil eye bracelets, arrow head rings, Love Marks shifts, ViJo Couture maxi dresses, camouflage jackets, and my personal favorite, a celestial print Wanderlust loose-but-structured tank. Continue reading
About 10 years ago, my mother and I made it an annual Christmas tradition to go to the Young Designers Market in Soho and buy each other earrings.
At the time, that was the only market I knew of in town. Now there is an utter explosion of Holiday Markets, many in Brooklyn, with locally handmade gifts. It goes to show how the local and sustainable movement is happening in full force, especially in our own borough.
Aside from our upcoming Greenpointers Holiday Market, there are tons of other amazing markets happening in Brooklyn in the next few weeks, which makes us very excited in our brains.
Brooklyn Holiday 2012 Market Round-Up
1. One Stop Pop-Up Shopping Party @ the one well (165 Greenpoint Ave)
2. Kill Devil Hill @ 170 Franklin St
Daily, Thru December
3. Handmade Holiday Calvacade @ 50 No. 3rd St
4. Greenpointers Second Annual Holiday Market @ From The Source (69 West)
5. ManufactureNY X Love US Holiday Pop-Up Shop @ The End (13 Greenpoint Ave)
6. Booklyn Pop-Up Shop & Exhibition @ 37 Greenpoint Ave
Dates: Opening Friday 12/7 (7-10pm) Pop-up 12/8-9 (12-6pm)
7. Gowanus Night Market @ 540 President St
8. Brooklyn Night Bazaar @ 45 No. 5th St
Dates: Fri & Sat Until 12/22
9. Vegan Holiday Shop-Ups @ Pine Box Rock Shop (12 Grattan St.)
Dates: 12/8, 12/15, 12/22
10. Crafted at the Canal @ Build It Green NYC Gowanus (69 9th St)
Dates: Friday (6pm-10pm) & Saturday (10am-5pm)
11. Williamsburg Fashion Weekend Holyday Market @ Bird River Studios (343 Grand St)
12. 3rd Ward Holiday Craft Fair @ 195 Morgan Ave
13. Brooklyn Craft Central’s 5th Annual Holiday Craft Market @ Little Field (622 Degraw St) Dates: 12/15-16 & 12/22-23
14. Williamsburg Eastside Flea Market@ PS132 (Manhattan & Metropolitan Ave)
Dates: Sat & Sun
15. Brooklyn Lyceum Holiday Marketplace @ 227 4th Ave
16. Gifted @ One Hanson Place
Dates: Sat & Sun Thru 11/23
Let us know about your Brooklyn Holiday Market: greenpointers (at) gmail.com
For markets beyond Brooklyn, check out Markets of NY.
Category: Culture, Style/Shopping
Tags: arts, Brooklyn, brooklyn shopping, craft market, crafts, fashion, gift market, Greenpoint, holiday shopping, pop-up shop, shopping