On Sunday Greenpointers hosted one of my favorite of all the events that we organize, first because it supports my favorite local cause the Greenpoint Food Pantry and Soup Kitchen and secondly because it’s the most chill event we do and I actually get to talk to people and not run around like a lunatic. And we raised over $700! Continue reading
On Sunday November 17, 2013 from 3-5pm at EAT Greenpoint – weeks before we stuff our faces with turkey for Thanksgiving – we are having our Annual Soup Bowl Fundraiser to raise money for our very own Greenpoint Food Pantry and Soup Kitchen which serves 1000s of hungry Greenpointers on a weekly basis.
100% of funds donated to the Soup Kitchen!
Date: Sunday 11/17/13
Location: Eat (124 Meserole St)
Come early to have first dibs on your soup bowl!
On Sunday 11/17/13 from 3-5pm at EAT(124 Meserole St) Greenpointers is organizing our Annual Soup Bowl Fundraiser and we need your soup bowls!
If you can donate a handmade bowl – please email me greenpointers (at) gmail.com so we can arrange a drop-off.
If anyone would like to reserve a soup bowl now, make a donation via paypal here!
Thanks in advance!
It was a wonderful evening at Good Yoga (73 Calyer St) for Sunday Supper #6 with Chef Brenna White of Honey and Fig. The space was perfect for seating and serving such a large supper and the food was perfectly prepared. The cocktails were generously donated and expertly prepared by Brooklyn Gin. Plus we had beer from Brooklyn Brewery!
The supper began with Roasted Carrot Salad with Parsley and Pomegranate Molasses. Continue reading
What?! Free beer! Free food! Screen printing!
This Sunday, August 18th from 7-11pm, an ongoing lecture series, Presentation Party Night - will be celebrating its 3 year anniversary at the Bat Haus (279 Starr St) in Bushwick, Brooklyn. It was started by Dan Dreke with the help of a team of designers and artists from Brooklyn.
One Sunday a month, individuals from all walks of life come together to give presentations covering various topics on their interests and areas of expertise. Enjoy good eats provided by some of the hot food spots in Brooklyn and wash it down with beer provided by the Brooklyn Brewery. Did I mention it is all free?! You are also welcome to bring your own beer and snacks! To make things even more awesome, they are doing screen printing by Bushwick Print Labs. Bring whatever you want and they will slap on one of their PPN designs for you!
The Romney Years, Spirit of the Slained Eagle, The Moon & The Sun, Gunfight!, Brewed In Brooklyn: What’s Happening Greenpoint? (7/17-7/22)
♫ The Romney Years (Screening) @ Cantina Royal (58 No. 3rd St) 7pm, FREE, a psychedelic dark comedy centered around a shotgun wedding bachelor party in the backwoods of PA. Soundtrack by BK bands who perform before (Keith Parker / Bombs to the Eyebrows / Dead Beat Dad / Johnny Butler) and after (Public Speaking / My Love MHz / Ruben Sindo Acosta) RSVP
♫ Pee Wee’s Big Adventure plus performances by Oberhofer / Lodro / Bueno @ McCarren Park Summerscreen (Bedford & No. 12th St) 6pm, FREE
♫ Q Tip @ Output (74 Wythe Ave) 8pm, $10
• “The More You Ignore Me” @ Word (126 Franklin St) 7-8pm, FREE, Travis Nichols presents his new novel inspired by his time at Poetry Foundation’s blog, which follows the exploits of user Lynksys181 as he crashes the wedding blog of complete strangers, in conversation with Emily Gould about (mis)behavior on the Internet, Q&A, signing, RSVP
♦ You Are Here @ 3rd Ward (195 Morgan Ave) Opening Reception 7-10pm, group art show that invites viewers to disconnect from mediated distractions and fully engage with their surroundings, RSVP
♫ Jacques Renault / Classixx @ House of Vans (25 Franklin St) 7pm, FREE
* Tom Shillue’s Funny Story @ Brooklyn Brewery (79 North 11th St) 8pm, $10, The premise is simple: Tom and guests tell their best true stories, you drink Brooklyn beer and enjoy the show.
♫ Spirit of a Slained Eagle (Record Release) / Look, a Fang! / The Confidentials @ The Acheron (57 waterbury st) 8pm, $8
* Summer Noir @ City Reliquary (370 Metropolitan Ave) 8pm, featuring “After the Thin Man,” vintage cocktails, RSVP
♫ Sean Nicholas Savage / Jamaican Queens / Blanche Blanche Blanche / Regal Degal @ 285 Kent, 8pm, $8
♫ Maracatu – a Brazilian Percussion Ensemble @ McGolrick Park, 6-7:30pm, Free
♦ The Moon & The Sun @ AC Gallery (107A North 3rd St) 6-9pm, Japanese artist Kanae Ito solo exhibition & live performance, More info
♦ Hearts of Palm @ Acumen Project Space (37-18 Northern Blvd., LIC) Opening Reception 6-8pm, Summer Groups Show with artists: Summer Group With Artists: Matthew Craven, David Maddy, Michelle Matson, Matt James Stone, Trish Tillman, RSVP
♦ Unhinged Paperworks @ Janet Kunatowski Gallery (205 Norman Ave.) 7-9pm, a collection of paper works
♫ The So So Glos / The Moon Dudes / Las Rosas / New Cross / Greg Saunier @ Rippers (Beach 86, Rockaway) noon, FREE
♫ Gunfight / BOYTOY / Thizz Rattlers / DJ Double Head @ Union Pool (484 Union Ave) 2pm, FREE
# Aguardiente Party @ Cafecito Bogota (1015 Manhattan Ave) 6pm, cocktails, shots & empanada Specials all night
♫ Beasty / Braver / Manawi Thorn / Hooks @ Saint Vitus (1120 Manhattan Ave) 8pm, $8
♫ Soul Clap and Dance Off w/ Jonathan Toubin @ Brooklyn Bowl (61 Wythe Ave) 11:30pm, $21
* Hosh Kids Yoga @ McGolrick Park, 11am, Free
♦ Other Rooms Press Poetry Reading @ t.d.b. (224 Franklin St) 1-3pm, FREE, A poetry reading in celebration of Other Rooms’ first print anthology, Ocellus Reseau, featuring poets Sapphire, Alan Gilbert, Melissa Goodrum, Susan Lewis, More info
♫ Spirit Plate / Lux Perpetua / Hippy / Friend Roulette @ Big Snow (89 Varet St) 8pm
☺ Free Cable Comedy Show @ Over The Eight (594 Union Ave) 8pm
# Brewed in Brooklyn Screening @ Brooklyn Brewery (79 North 11th St) 8pm, $10, The story of how Brooklyn was once the beer brewing capital of the world and could one day be again, Filmmakers Q & A, first free beer, Watch the Trailer, Buy Tix
♫ A Bunch of Dead People / Glockabelle / Hoya / Dead Beat Dad @ Glasslands Gallery (289 Kent Ave) 8:30pm, $10
* Greenpointers’ Pick
♥ Pheremones likely
♦ Art Event
☺ Comedy Event
# Foodie Event
Via Brooklyn Brewery:
Hark! Up-and-coming songwriters, bedroom recorders, dayjob artists, would-be hip-hop icons, listen up. This contest is for you. All unsigned, amateur drinking-aged souls with a love for beer and Brooklyn are invited to submit a song and a music video for a chance to win a trip to Stockholm for year two of the BROOKLYN, SWEDEN music and arts festival. The competition is stiff. The rules are simple.
I was honored to be asked to judge a Cupcake Bake-Off fundraiser for NAG a few weeks back and I actually delayed my vacation a day in order to attend. Cupcakes in mass quantity totally beat vacations. It’s instant brain happiness.
This is the second major “celebrity” judge opportunity I’ve had – the last one was the Halloween Dog Parade Costume Contest. I admit it’s starting to get to my head. The other judges were Ovenly’s head baker Hannah Duke, Carmen Rodriguez of Brooklyn Cupcake, and Councilmember Diana Reyna.
The Cupcake Bake-Off was held in The Brooklyn Kitchen’s awesome event space and as the contestants filed in with their goodies, I was drooling. The colors, shapes, sizes – cupcake overload! Continue reading
Twin Sister, Greenpoint Gallery Night, Earth Day Festival, Collateral Glamage, Public Paddling: What’s Happening Greenpoint? (5/8-5/14)
* Let’s Build A Garden For Greenpoint @ Diamond Bar (43 Franklin St) 7-10pm, FREE, Join the 61 Franklin St Garden for a fundraiser to build a community garden, bring donations - including tools, 20% of the bar sales donated, RSVP
♫ YVLTRS / Black Salad / Del Guapo @ Big Snow (89 Varet St) 8pm, $7, RSVP
* Brooklyn Brewery Night @ Barcade (388 Union Ave) Starting at 4pm, Celebrate Brooklyn Brewery’s 25th Birthday with a very special tap lineup, RSVP
♦ Q and Y: A Brief Comedy About Death @ Silent Barn (603 Bushwick Ave) 8pm, $8, Play written and directed by Theresa Buchheister, after/during the show you can drink, get haircuts, buy records, look at art, hang out in the garden, make out in the corner!RSVP
♫ Height / Eze Jackson / Handjob Academy / Zebra Baby @ Death by Audio (49 S.2nd St) 8pm, $7, More Info
♦ Greenpoint Gallery Night @Various Galleries, 6-9pm, FREE, As art fairs bustle away at opposite ends of the East River, over a dozen galleries open their doors, After party 9pm at Coco 66, RSVP, download map HERE
♦ Portals: A Series @ The One Well (165 Greenpoint Ave), 7-10pm, FREE, The One Well & HollyBear present a collection of mixed media works for your viewing pleasure, More Info
☺An Evening of Music & Comedy @ Death by Audio (49 S.2nd St) 8pm, $10, Comedians Chris Gethard & Dave Hill, music by Shellshag / Swearin’ / Black Wine, RSVP
♫ Heaven / Tennis System / Nightmare Air / Dead Leaf Echo @ Union Pool (484 Union) 8pm, $8, RSVP
*Greenpoint Earth Day 2013 Festival @ McCarren Park (766 Lorimer St) 11am-5pm, FREE, Recycle your electronic waste, eco-friendly and educational displays, health & wellness tips & demos, arts & crafts, children’s activities, live music, More Info
• Vegan Shop Up @ Pine Box Rock Shop (12 Grattan St) Noon-6pm, FREE, Vegan Shop-Up is NYC’s only all vegan pop-up market featuring the best small businesses around, More Info
• Public Walk Up Paddling @ Broadway Stages Boatyard (49 Ash St) Noon-4:30pm, FREE, Short Canoe & Kayak paddles in Creek, More Info
♦ 2013 Arts Happening Series: A Guest In The Cavern @ Northside Town Hall (132 Wythe Ave) 6-10pm, FREE, A multi-media installation by Jesse Gelaznik, featuring video art by Rachel Blackwell, Dirty Churches will perform Music for Mirrors, RSVP
• 5 Boros Basketball Fundraiser @American Legion 1771 (519 Leonard St) 7-11pm, $30, Great food, Live entertainment and dancing plus raffles! More Info
♫ Twin Sister / Empress Of / RElyse @ Silent Barn (603 Bushwick Ave) 8pm, $10,
♫ Charlie Nieland / Oh Halo / Hard Plastic Buttons @ Bar Matchless (577 Manhattan Ave) 8pm, $8, RSVP
♥ Collateral Glamage @ Legion (790 Metropolitan) 9-4am, FREE, favorite local bands and dj’s for this monthly all night dance party, rock and roll, cheap drinks! RSVP
• Roots 66 @ Coco66 (66 Greenpoint Ave) 4-11pm, DJs Autovac & Subtexture will be spinning Roots, Rockers and Rocksteady, happy hour until 8pm, RSVP
• Greenpointers Terrarium Class with Claire @ Diamond Bar (43 Franklin St) 5-7pm, $50, all supplies are provided to make a gorgeous terrarium to take home, plus a Sly Fox beer! Buy Tix
♫Marissa Nadler/Guy Blakeslee/Jozef van Wissem @Saint Vitus (1120 Manhattan Ave) 8pm, $12, RSVP
•Bad Movie Brooklyn presents They Live @ Berry Park (4 Berry St) 8pm, FREE, a fun, totally kickass John Carpenter flick packed with social commentary that’s just as relevant today as it was in 1988, RSVP
☺Broken Comedy @ Bar Matchless (577 Manhattan Ave) 8:30pm, FREE, Tevor Noah / George Gordon / Danny Kallas / Rob O’Reilly, More Info
* Bootleg Cinema – The Great Silence w/live set by Morricone Youth @ Brooklyn Rod & Gun (59 Kent Ave) 8pm, One of the best and most unusual spaghetti Westerns ever made accompanied by a live musical performance, RSVP
* Greenpointers’ Pick
♥ Pheremones likely
♦ Art Event
☺ Comedy Event
# Foodie Event
Bad Credit No Credit, Beloved BDay, Derby Day, Cinco De Mayo, Spring Calvacade, Fading Ads, The National: What’s Happening Greenpoint? (5/1-5/8)
♦ I Stay Under Glass @ Picture Farm (338 Wythe Ave) 6-9pm, Photography by Grant Cornett, RSVP
♫ Bad Credit No Credit / Hard Bodies / Bueno / Rohypnotise @ Shea Stadium (20 Meadow St, Bushwick) 8pm, $7, RSVP
* The Audacity of Hops Book Launch Party @ The Brooklyn Brewery (79 North 11th St) 7:30-10:30pm, FREE, Tom Acitelli speaks about the history of Brooklyn Brewery, copies of his book will be on sale. Reservation required, email audacityofhopsbook(at)gmail.c
♫ Starlight Girls / The Suzan / Dangerous Ponies / Slutever @ Death by Audio (49 S. 2nd St)8pm, $7 RSVP
♥ Beloved Birthday Party @ Beloved (674 Manhattan Ave) 5pm-Late, Drink specials/Fernet-Branca Bicycle raffle/DJ group Kids With Snakes and a makeout corner! More Info
♦ Resurrection @ The Active Space (566 Johnson Ave, Bushwick) Opening Reception 6-10pm, FREE, Artists Katie Bell, Suzanna Goldenberg, Rachel Hayes, JR Larson, Matt Miller, Bridget Mullen, Rosee Tibbles, RSVP
♥ le BUMP: The Revenge @ Over The Eight (594 Union Ave) 10:30pm-Close, FREE, Get sweaty at the newest bar in town with DJs Mister Disco & Brian Blackout, RSVP
• Spring Handmade Cavalcade @ The Space (50 N.3rd St) 10am-5pm, FREE, Featuring
over 35 local artisans, designers and crafters, More Info
• A Four Roses Kentucky Derby @ Noorman’s Kil (609 Grand St) 2pm, FREE, Listen to the race over the radio, Four Roses Mint Juleps, best dressed contest, RSVP
• Kentucky Derby Party @ Videology (308 Bedford Ave) 3-7pm, FREE, 3pm, $6 mint juleps and Derby pie, More Info
• Kentucky Derby Day @Pete’s Candy Store (709 Lorimer Street) 3pm, Ladies millinery competition, Bluegrass blue-plate special, More Info
• Kentucky Der-B-Q @ Mark Bar (1025 Manhattan Ave) 4pm, Kentucky BBQ
$6 Mint Juleps, RSVP
♦ Nurturing Nature Art Exhibit @ The ceeflat (988 Manhattan Ave) 4-10pm, Nature-Inspired pieces by Carla E. Reyes and Ian Montgomery, musical performances from The Devyl Nellys / Mission On Mars / Ghandi, RSVP
♦ Significant Matters @ Projekt722 (722 Metropolitan Ave, 2nd Fl) Opening Reception 6-9pm, FREE, artwork by Nobutaka Aozaki, Miwa Koizumi, Kenichi Nakajima, Andrew Zarou, More Info
♫ Phebe Starr / Clementine & The Galaxy / Bob and Martha @ Paper Box (17 Meadow St, Bushwick) 6-9pm, $12, RSVP
♫ East Bank Music Series @ The Episcopal Church of the Ascension (127 Kent Ave St) 8pm, $10 suggested, Performers from Manhattan School of Music’s put on an evening of contemporary classical music, More Info
* Fading Ads of Greenpoint Walking Tour @ All Over Greenpoint, 11:30am, FREE, Join Preservation Greenpoint and photographer Frank Jump on a walking tour of the fading ads of Greenpoint, RSVP for meeting location, More Info
♦ A Lot of Sorrow featuring The National @ MoMA PS1 (22-25 Jackson Ave, LIC) Noon-6pm, $15 , Artist Ragnar Kjartansson sought out The National, to perform their song, Sorrow, repeatedly in a six-hour live loop for this performance, More Info
• Cinco De Mayo @ One Stop Beer Shop (134 Kingsland Ave) Noon-2am, FREE, Complimentary Teacate & Dos Equis, prizes, RSVP
• Cinco De Mayo Brunch @ Sindicato De Cocineros (57A Nassau Ave) 12-4pm, $1 fish taco, $5 tecate & shot, $6 margaritas, first come first serve
• Cinco De Mayo @ Habitat (988 Manhattan Ave) Noon-11pm, Three Amigos playing on the big screen all day plus drink specials, More Info
♦ Works Cited, reprised @ Cleopatra’s (110 Meserole St) 3pm, curated by Olivian Chan, a set of reflections, deflections and thoughtful quotations linked through a shared involvement in a series of displays and programs at the Los Angeles Public Library, RSVP
# Greenpointers “Cinco De Mayo” Sunday Supper #5 @ Beloved (674 Manhattan Ave) 7pm-9pm, $4o, special “Cinco De Mayo” Greenmarket inspired menu created by Chef Heather Cahill of Farm to Fridge, More Info
☺Run from the Police Comedy @ Muchmore’s (2 Havenmeyer St) 8:30-11pm, FREE
♫ Body Language / Pegasus Warning /#1 Kid @ Glasslands (289 Kent Ave) 8:30pm, $12, RSVP
* Greenpoint Landing Public Meeting @ McCarren Park Recreational Center (776 Lorimer St) 6:30pm, learn about Greenpoint Landing, 77 Commercial St, Newtown Barge and Box Street Parks
*S.A.S.S. Presents: Historical Figures who Said “Fuck it.” @ Public Assembly (70 N.6th St) 7pm, FREE, lecture covers military leaders who gave up when the going got rough / abandoned construction projects / ladies who decided they just had enough, RSVP
☺The Trap-Variety Show @ Pete’s Candy Store (709 Lorimer St) 8pm, FREE, Dan St. Germain / Jamie Lee / Will Hines / Natalie Shure / Hand Job Academy, RSVP
* Greenpointers’ Pick
♥ Pheremones likely
♦ Art Event
☺ Comedy Event
# Foodie Event