* Handmade Treasures Pop Up @ Daddy’s (435 Graham Ave) Saturday 3/8 at 1pm, Free, shop knits, jewelry, ceramics, and scarves, plus get a custom Tim Harrington (of Les Savy Fav) illustration of your spirit animal, there will also be custom pet portraits and custom knit patches (bring your fav digital image to be converted into a knit), with wares from Glitterlimes (real fruit and candy jewelry!) / Muffy brandt (hand-printed leggings, tops, and bags) / Andrew Almone (a.k.a the KNIT MASTER) / Juniortown Knits (hand-dyed yarn) / Jule Van Such (digital prints on silk scarves) / Jena Derman (Executive Sous Chef at Momofuku Milk Bar who creates amazing pastry-like ceramics) / Wowch, with DJ Knife Fight spinning 45s, RSVP
♦Illustration Workshop @ The Living Gallery (1094 Broadway, Bushwick) 4-6pm, Free, Learn the core basics of buildling shapes, images and characters, this week the theme is the classic Greek tale, RSVP
* Steampunk Tea Party @ Word (126 Franklin St) 7pm, $15 suggested donation, Join author Gail Carriger for a reading, discussion and book signing from her Protectorate literature series, prizes awarded to best steampunk costume, RSVP
♦ Artists’ Reception and Ash Wednesday Worship @ Lutheran Church of the Messiah (129 Russell St) 7-10pm, Free, Explore this local collection of artwork modeled on the Stations of the Cross, RSVP
* Seasonal Home Store Pop-Up @ Home of the Brave (67 West St, #416) 6pm, Free, Have a drink while previewing the home store of independent designers, curated by Wolves Within, RSVP
♦ 60, The Collective Part 2 Art Show @ The Walk Way, Rebar (147 Front St, Dumbo) 7pm, Curators Frankie Velez and Craig Anthony Miller gather 60 artists to create 12” x 12” works, DJ’d by AnaMated, More Info
This past Greenpoint Gallery Night was a success despite the frigid temperatures. Greenpointers strolled the neighborhood seeking out fine art and good times. Photographer Fabian Palencia brings us images from galleries on the outskirts. Check out all the photos in this Facebook gallery. Continue reading →
♦ People and Places @ Evil and Love Tattoo (211 Franklin St) 7-10pm, Friday 2/7 FREE, Check out this photo exhibit featuring works by Czech skateboard photographer, Hona Zima, a 25-year-old born in a small city near Prague, see his images here, RSVP
* Picture Farm Film Fest @ Picture Farm (338 Wythe Ave) 2-7pm, FREE, First ever PF Film Fest running Saturday 2/8 through Sunday 2/9, opening & closing receptions, Q&As w/directors and writers, a Sat. afternoon shorts, Sat. night documentaries, & Sunday Brunch. All Screenings FREE! Check the website for the full schedule & film details, RSVP
WEDNESDAY 2/5 • 94th Precinct Community Council Meeting @ Church of the Ascension (122 Java St) 7-8pm, FREE, ask questions & chat with local police officers & community members ♥ Save Room For Dessert! @ Brooklyn Brewery (8-10pm) $5, Join an expert panel curated by Edible Brooklyn for demos, tips, samples, and a Q&A covering everything you need to know about sweets just in time for V-Day, More Info ♫ Young Yeller (LP Release Party) / Moon Bounce / Kazimier / AIMES (DJ Set) @ Glasslands (289 Kent) 8:30pm, $10, RSVP Continue reading →
Greenpoint Gallery Night is this Friday 2/7 from 6-9pm. While in the past this map has only been available online for download, the Gallery Night HQ Galleries at 67 West St will have printed maps available for those of you still using flip phones.
The first Greenpoint Gallery Night of 2014 is taking place on Friday, February 7th from 6-9pm and there is a lot of great artwork to see in the neighborhood. As an influx of new restaurants and shops seems to be taking center stage and giving us endless food and fashion options – lots of art galleries are also opening under the radar with works from talented local artists. And they are cool specifically because they are not listed in Vogue’s Girls Guide to Greenpoint. Continue reading →
WEDNESDAY 1/15 * Natural Makeup Class @ Brooklyn Groove (102 B Nassau Ave) 6-8:30pm, FREE, learn tips and tricks to create a flawless makeup routine that highlights your natural beauty, More Info ♦ Comic Book Night @ WORD (126 Franklin St) 7-8pm, Get the inside scoop on the comic world with experts Sean Howe (Marvel Comics: The Untold Story) and Time Leong (Super Graphic) with a signing and Q&A, RSVP ☺ Daniel Koren: The Most Important Thing @ The Knitting Factory (361 Metropolitan Ave) 8-9pm, $10, composer Daniel Koren’s one-man show features piano tunes accompanies by projected figures, paired with stream of consciousness in this bizarre fusion of music and comedy, More Info
♫ Belly Fire / Hard Nips / Roth Bart Baron @ Glasslands (289 Kent) 8:30pm, $10, RSVP ♫ Endless Boogie / Hans Chew / Syphilitic Lust / Ryan Sawyer @ Union Pool (484 Union Ave) 9pm, $9, RSVP
THURSDAY 1/16 ☺ Split Personality: Storytelling and Character Open Mic @ Over the Eight (594 Union Ave) 7-8pm, FREE, Put your name in a hat for a chance to perform a 5 minute story or character sketch, with special guest performers Leslie Meisel (30 Rock, Bachlorette) and Ben Rameaka (UCB, Wolf of Wall St) ♫ Prism House / Foxes in Fiction / Daytona / XNY / Palehound @ Spike Hill (184 Bedford) 7pm, FREE, More Info ♦ Uta Brauser– Human Matter @ Brouwerij Lane (78 Greenpoint Ave) 7-10pm, Opening Reception for the artist’s collection of line drawings, which explore the nature of matter and the traces of cell life * Beauty Beyond Boundaries @ Villain (50 N 3rd St) 9pm-1am, FREE, Get free cocktails (until 11pm) in exchange for being marketing targets for the new Ricoh Theta spherical camera (which actually looks pretty fun anyway), featuring art installations, live painting, music from Kaoru Wantabe & Motions, a tap-dance bit from Tamango, and DJs all night, plus you get a camera to play with for the evening, RSVP Continue reading →
(Sponsored) * Natural Makeup Class @ Brooklyn Groove (102 B Nassau Ave) 6-8:30pm, Wednesday 1/15, FREE, Let’s be real, no one wants a face caked with makeup. It’s not a good look, unless your a drag burlesque performer (in which case, we’ll make an exception). Lucky for us, professional makeup artist, Tara Schwartz is hosting this workshop to share her insider tips and tricks to create flawless makeup, using special natural color cosmetics. Bring your ladiez and perfect that glowing, swoon-inducing au natural look, More Info
♦ #SELLOUT @ Reverse Gallery (28 Frost St) 1-4pm (and Friday 1/10 opening party 8-11pm), FREE, This five-day event will feature artists who aim to take on the fine art world, showcasing the artistry of selling out, featuring a specialty sellout cocktail (made of money and shame?), with free mimosas on 1/11 & 1/12 from 2-4pm, More Info, RSVP ☺ Abemixture’s Fancy Four Year Anniversary Soiree @ Legion (790 Manhattan Ave) 7:30-9:30pm, FREE, AbeMixture is celebrating its 4th Bday with music, comedy and free pizza, wear your fanciest duds for a chance to win best dressed (= free booze), RSVP ♫ Big Ups LP Release with Flagland / Mannequin Pussy / Washer @ Shea Stadium (20 Meadow St, Bushwick) 8pm, $8, RSVP ♫ The Shondes supportingAgainst Me! @ Music Hall of Williamsburg (66 N 6th St) 8pm, $20, BUY TIX, RSVP Continue reading →
WEDNESDAY 11/20 ♦ Drawing 101 @ The Living Gallery (1094 Broadway, Bushwick) 4-6pm, $15 Suggested Donation, Improve those eye-hand coordination skills and learn the basics of drawing, with refreshers on line weight, contrast, perspective, and composition, guided practice for beginners and seasoned artists, RSVP # Gluten Free Beer and Burger Night @ One Stop Beer Shop (134 Kingsland Ave) 7-10pm, $16, sip on cider and a gluten free beer called Plasma (interesting name…), and Margabuchas (kombucha mixed drinks), and fight the pesky enemy of your digestive system, RSVP • No Man’s Land Launch Party @ Good Co. (10 Hope St) 7pm, FREE, celebrate the launch of this western storytelling app with happy hour (until 8pm), live music by Chase King of Slow Country, and a demo, RSVP ♫ Tyburn Saints / The Howlin’ Houndogs / Ray Mazza / Tiny Hazard / Relatives / Names of War / Our Griffins @ The Paper Box (17 Meadow St, Bushwick) 8pm, $7, BUY TIX ♫ Typhoon Haiyan Benefit Show @ 285 Kent, 8pm, $7 adv/ $10 door, All proceeds benefit grassroots organizations in the Philippines, with music from Ava Luna / Rebel Diaz / Celestial Shore / Eartheater, RSVP, BUY TIX, DONATE Continue reading →
♦ The Shape of Control @ Java Studios Gallery (252 Java St, Suite 308) FRIDAY (11/8) 7-11 pm, FREE, Group show featuring paintings, photographs, and sculptures that depict human interaction with nature, exploring the way in which reality is preserved and/or distorted through documentation and storytelling, includes work from artists Robby Rose (paintings of defaced sculptures of ancient Greek heroes)/ Nathalie Shepherd (paintings of idealized female muses) / Vriginia Ines Vergara (photographs wilderness dioramas through multiple lenses) / Divya Anantharaman (brings the animal into our environment with Black Bear Taxidermy), on view through December 6, RSVP, Catalog
WEDNESDAY 11/6 • Muchmore’s Free Poker Tournament @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St) 7-8:30pm, FREE, ok gamblers, this one’s for you… except instead of losing money you get to play for free and potentially win a $25 bar tab (!!), RSVP
* GCEF Networking Event @ Polish Slavic Center (176 Java St) 6:30-8:30pm, FREE, network with community members who are applying for grants from the Greenpoint Community Environmental Fund ♦ Opening: John F. Moore Jr. @ The Habitat (998 Manhattan Ave) 7pm, FREE, Moore exhibits his abstract, trippy paintings, RSVP * Greenpoint Designers MEET UP @ Broken Land (105 Franklin St) 7-9pm, there’s a lot of you design-y folks around here (I see you lookin’ all cool, working on your typography), how about you meet each other and talk about it over drinks and prizes and form a community, or whatever RSVP ♦ Daniel Johnston: here @ Reverse Space (28 Frost St) 7-9pm, Opening for a traveling exhibition of images taken of the iconic singer-songwriter Daniel Johnston by documentary/portrait photographer Jung Kim, capturing his life on the road and at home in Waller, TX, More Info * Everyday is Like Sunday @ Nitehawk (136 Metropolitan Ave) 8pm, FREE, Catch a special screening of this Toronto film about “being young and getting older/drinking too much,” co-starring Nick Thorburn of the band Islands and formerly The Unicorms, the theme hits a little close to home, but hey, the Toronto Star called it “Scrappy but endearing,” RSVP ♫ Heliotropes / Flown / Black Lagoon / Beech Creeps @ The Acheron (57 Waterbury St, Bushwick) 8pm, $10 (I must be tired because I read Beech Creeps as “Beach Crepes” and got really excited/hungry), RSVP
Brooklyn Craft Camp FLASH SALE! $100 off with Code FLASH at checkout!
Brooklyn Craft Camp is a day-long DIY extravaganza taking place on Saturday, October 5. Enjoy modern craft and DIY workshops, great food (a Peter Pan donut breakfast and fancy lunch from a private Greenpoint chef!), cocktail hour, a DJ spinning vinyl, photo booth, and DIY nail art bar! Registration includes four 90-minute modern craft classes including terrariums, glass etching, stampmaking, sequin bracelets, suede tassels, knitted necklace, and more — from awesome Brooklyn-based teachers. ADVANCE REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED. Click here to get in on this awesome event!
WEDNESDAY 10/2 • The Final Frontier: Star Trek Trivia @ The Trash Bar (256 Grand St) 7:30-10pm, FREE, Ok nerds– this one’s for you, game winners will receive $20 worth of synthohol (I’m guessing that’s Trekkie speak for alcohol), RSVP ♫ Parquet Courts / The Beets / Yuppies / Future Punx @ Music Hall of Williamsburg (66 N 6th St) 8:30pm, $12, BUY TIX * Punk Rope Happy Hour @ Capri Social Club (156 Calyer St) 9pm, FREE, Start off your night with a Punk Rope class at the Greenpoint Y (free for your 1st 3 visits) and end it with $5 pints of Zywiec, RSVP ♫ Benefit for Ms. Magoo @ Lulu’s (113 Franklin St) 9pm, $7-10, Help raise funds for Ms. Magoo, a King Charles Spaniel with one eye, a broken, tail, and a harrowing rescue story (she was saved by the band SUPER PILOTka in 2005 and now needs help with her veterinary bills), with performances by Martin Biki / SUPER PILOTka / Cinema Cinema