4th of July
FINALLY! The fireworks are back on the East River this year, to be set off from barges under the Brooklyn Bridge. While Brooklyn Bridge Park will be the hottest spot, as a waterfront hood Greenpoint will have some killer views, too. Maybe you’ve been invited to a bunch of rooftop parties or backyard BBQs but you’re waiting on the right one – the one with best view of the fireworks, of course.
We’ve put together an OFFICIAL list of great spots to watch the fireworks in Greenpoint. Continue reading
‘Bout time we got the fireworks back from all places – NJ!?! We are going to cook hot dogs to our hearts’ content (even vegan ones!) at The Diamond on July 4th starting at 3pm. Here’s the deal – Brewla Bars + Yeah Dawg Vegan! + more will be available for purchase from 3-6pm. Then at 7-11pm there will be a straight up dance party courtesy of Brian Blackout. Don’t forget to RSVP on FB.
GOOD NEWS! The July 4th fireworks are returning to the East River this year, meaning we can watch them from rooftops across North Brooklyn.
We have fellow Brooklynite, Billy de Blasio, to thank for the change, which he announced on Monday. The fireworks will actually be launched from the Brooklyn Bridge and sources that we just made up say it will be spectacular. Continue reading
5th of July Funk/Soul Party @ Manhattan Inn (632 Manhattan Ave) Midnight-4am, FREE, Dj Bengey is KEEPING IT FUNKY AND SOULFUL in his debut at Manhattan Inn, Greenpoint & Williamsburg’s premiere late night dance spot! RSVP
♦ Drawings by James Ulmer @ Beginnings (110 Meserole Ave) Opening Reception 7-10pm, Ulmer’s drawings harmonize the naivety associated with memories of childhood picture making with sophisticated compositional choices and mark making decisions.
♫ The Free Keys / Sua / Whisky Bitches / Slim Charles @ Bar Matchless (557 Manhattan Ave) 7:30pm, $8, RSVP
* Punk Rope Happy Hour @ Greenpoint YMCA (99 Meserole St) 7:30-8:30pm, Celebrate the 4th early with an American ass-kicking, 14 U.S. rock tunes while jumping rope, rehydrate 9pm until late at the Capri Social Club (156 Calyer St), class is free Y Members and first 3 free for Y non-members, RSVP
THURSDAY (6/4) – 4th of July!!!
# Seafood Boil @ Maison Premiere (289 Bedford Ave) noon-8pm, music by Bedford Avenue Society Band
• 4th of July = Cheap Burgers @ Greenpoint Heights (278 Nassau Ave) noon, enjoy $5 burgers all day, plus patriotic drink specials!
♫ Back to the Beach @ Rippers (Boardwalk & 86th St, Rockaway) Free, 1-9pm, Performances by Friend Roulette / Celestial Shore / Pow Wow! / This Library Is On Fire / Hippy and The Road
# 4th of July BBQ @ The Richardson (451 Graham Ave) 2-6pm, Cheap $4 Brooklyn Beer, $10 Brooklyn Beer + Frankfurter with Pork Chili
♫ Beats and BBQ: The Star Spangled Boogie Marathon @ LP n’ Harmony (683 Grand St) 3pm-4am, FREE, dance music marathon, buy drinks get free BBQ
♫ 4th of July BBQ @ Secret Project Robot (389 Melrose St) 4pm-1am, Reggae, African and World Beats mixed with all day bbq with drink specials and sprinklers, art opening of the Tiny art show curated by John Eric Lawson
♫ Fourth of July Bash w/ 1-800-BAND / Endless Boogie / Dirty Fences @ Knockdown Center (52-19 Flushing Ave., Ridgewood) 8pm, Pizza by Roberta’s, beer by America, dogs and burgers by The Meathook
♫ Deafheaven / Marriages / Aun / Theologian @ 285 Kent Ave, 10:45pm, $10
♦ Unhinged @ Pierogi (177 North 9th St) 7-9pm, A sprawling salon installation tapping the depth and breadth of the Flat Files
♫ Nude Beach / Prince Rupert’s Drops @ Knitting Factory (361 Metropolitan Ave) 8pm, $10
♫ Le Bump @ Over Eight (594 Union Ave) 10pm, FREE, We’re not going to forget the singles we grew up with. Let’s get sweaty!
♫ 5th of July Funk/Soul Party @ Manhattan Inn (632 Manhattan Ave) Midnight-4am, FREE, Dj Bengey is KEEPING IT FUNKY AND SOULFUL in his debut at Manhattan Inn, RSVP
• Ghostbusters @ Nitehawk Cinema (136 Metropolitan Ave) 11:45am, $11, Tix
• 119 Underground @ Jewel St. Paradise (119 Jewel St) 12-6pm, Everything from ceramics, to paper goods & more! with refreshments & performances provided for shoppers. All in a Brooklyn basement
♫ Warm-Up @ PS1 (22-25 Jackson Ave) 3pm, $15, w/The Martinez Brothers/ Kim Ann Foxman of Hercules / Love Affair DJ set, DJ Qu / Anthony Naples
♦ From The Streets Up @ Woodward Gallery (133 Eldridge St) 6-8pm, A street sculpture show curated by Royce Bannon and Cassius Fouler, RSVP
♫ The Call Up @ Boulevard Tavern (579 Meeker Ave) 9pm, FREE, Reggae, Soul, Punk by DJ’s Sandinista and Tiny Gem, Vinyl Only! $5 all YOU can eat BBQ
* Summer Sunday Slimdown Challenge @ McCarren Park, 1:30-2:30pm, FREE, Rain or Shine, Meet at Human@Ease (31 Nassau Ave) at 1:15pm, it is summer and it is time to lose those pounds, get that blood pumping and heart rate up every Sunday in July, RSVP
# Fiesta De La Carne @ TBD (224 Franklin St) 2-11pm, FREE, 500lbs of meat! burgers, dogs, salads, veggies burgers, steaks, more – ALL FREE!
☺ Run From The Police Comedy Show @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St) 8:30-11pm, FREE
♫ Jo Schornikow @ Manhattan Inn (632 Manhattan Ave) 9:30pm, Free
* Greenpointers’ Pick
♥ Pheremones likely
♦ Art Event
☺ Comedy Event
# Foodie Event
♫ Sounds of Jamaica @ Secret Project Robot (389 Melrose St) 3-9pm, $4, all vinyl musical selections by Queen Majesty, Grace of Spades and Sweet V, RSVP
♫ SummerJam @ Shea Stadium (20 Meadow St) 4:20pm, $10 Afu Ra/Shea Stadium All Stars/Dope Body/Roomrunner/ Fuck Ton/Alan Watts/Ami Dang/Eleven Swords,
♫ Gunfight/Family Photos/Free Advice/Spirit Family Reunion Playing All Credence Clearwater Revival Set @ Alaska (35 Ingraham St) $5, FREE
* Our Lady of Mount Carmel Giglio Feast Begins – Thru July 16, 2012 (275 N 8th St)
♦ Cut-Up @ Storefront Bushwick (16 Wilson Ave) 6-9pm, “Cut Up” features 11 artists who shred, chop, clip, paste, and reconfigure a variety of materials to make collages, sculptures, and paintings, RSVP
♦ Modus Vivendi @ The Boiler (191 North 14th Street) 6-9pm, Nina Katchadourian, David Kramer, Jude Tallichet More info
• Raise the Roof! Farm In The Sky @ Brooklyn Fireproof (119 Ingraham St) 7pm, DIY Rooftop Farming Workshop, Drink Specials, Food, Live Music, RSVP
♫ Northern Spy Festival w/ Colin L. Orchestra/Bird Names/Guardian Alien/K Salvatore @ Death By Audio (49 S 2nd St) $7, 8pm, All Ages, Country
• Intensati in the Park @ McCarren Park, 10am, a new workout method that combines “high-energy aerobics, martial arts, yoga and strength conditioning,” along with “spoken affirmations.” Email Evangelias411 (AT) hotmail.com
♫ Lemuria/The Wild/Kudrow @ Europa (98 Meserole Ave) 6pm, $8, All ages, Pop-Punk
* Greenpointers’ Pick
♥ Pheremones Likely
♦ Art Event