I’m a big fan of Nitehawk Cinema. It’s one of my favorite places to go. You can see great films, eat great food, and enjoy great beverages – at the same damn time. Since I often share information about their events, I thought it would be fun to start doing a monthly preview. Here’s a look at what will be playing in September. Continue reading
* Reverie of Ginger City: Dialogue Between Two Cities @ Flux Factory (39-12 29th St) 7pm, FREE, Amela Parcic presents double-exposure photographs of Santiago, Chile, and New York City, More info
☺Adelina’s Comedy Night @ Adelina’s (159 Greenpoint Ave) 10:30pm, FREE, With Brooke Van Poppelen, Rose Luardo, Brett Davis, and more, RSVP
From time to time, every couple of months, I get a severe craving for an outrageously good curry. Unfortunately I’m yet to find a really awesome local curry house but, this Thursday, for one night only, help is at hand! Or at Heel (schnarfle).
Achilles Heel will be welcoming Caroline Fidanza of Saltie to host a London-style curry night extraordinaire! The full, mouthwatering menu is below and the team at Achilles will be whipping up cocktails and a special punch to pair with all the dishes.
Curry in a hurry? Not on Thursday. This is one spicy feast you’ll most definitely want to linger over! Continue reading
Youngman Grand @ The Grand Victory (245 Grand St) 7pm, $10
The five members of Youngman Grand all live and work in Greenpoint (Variety Cafe, Cafe Grumpy, Achilles Heel, and Budin). They will be bringing their colossal rock sound to a headlining show at The Grand Victory featuring a line-up of great local bands: Forts, Dead Letters, and Sand Mansions. Buy tickets here.
* Crochet Metal Jewelry @ Brooklyn Craft Co. (61 Greenpoint Ave) 6:30pm, $55, Make mixed-media statement pieces that combine chunky metal with simple crochet trimming, More info
* Outdoor Gallery @ Word (126 Franklin St) 7pm, FREE, Learn about the vibrant outdoor art culture of NYC with an interactive presentation from author and photographer Yoav Litvin and artist Jilly Ballistic, RSVP
NYC’s raddest baby + family fair,Rattled Expo, will take place in Greenpoint on Sunday, August 24! Combining an eclectic mix of eco-friendly baby products, modern ideas and services for new parents, Rattled Expo is a unique event for young, urban families who appreciate eco-conscious, stylish, locally made goods.
The carefully curated marketplace will include new/vintage kids’ clothing, nannies, playgroups, doctors, music/art lessons, schools, handmade toys, diaper services, doulas and more!
Kids (and perhaps some adults) will enjoy free face painting from Brooklyn Balloon Company and an open juice bar courtesy of Bundle Organics. Food samples, live music, games and raffle prizes all day!!!
Adults $5, Kids free! The Warsaw, 261 Driggs Ave, Brooklyn, Sunday August 24, 12pm-4pm; Rattled Expo
Sponsored Post Courtesy of Rattled Expo
You know that cute community garden on Franklin Street?
Well, they’re hosting a summer cocktail party and it sounds like a super lovely opportunity to hang on to the fading evenings of summer whilst checking out the charming oasis for yourself. Continue reading
# BBQ Blowout @ Good Co. (10 Hope St) 7:30pm, $10, New York Sushi Ko doing some Japanese-inspired wizardy on the grill; YOUSS and his CPH crew will work the decks, Buy tix
* Style Wars Championship @ Glasslands (289 Kent Ave) 8:30pm, $10, Rising designers face off in head-to-head fast-fashion battles, with 5 minutes to rock a look from whatever gets thrown at them, More info
Accepting responsibility is the first step to change. This is what Dishan Elise, owner of human@ease, teaches through her The BEST Plan program developed for individuals who want positive change in their health and well-being. However, they get more than they bargained for when they realize this change permeates throughout their families, communities, and even the planet.
“BEST” is an acronym for “Balance, Energy, Strength, and Tranquility”. It is a 12-week program that covers all aspects of health and well-being. This complete program provides the tools for radical transformation. You can see some real life examples here. The BEST Plan is designed to deal with past conditioning and emotional obstacles related to nutrition and to break the addiction to processed foods. Dishan says “Clients are educated on proper diet and exercise and we incorporate methods to strengthen and improve all systems of the body.”
Seeing how impactful the plan was for her members, whom she calls her “BESTies”, she decided the way to have the most positive impact on our planet was to bring The BEST Plan to everyone. She understood that she wasn’t the only fitness facility bringing positive change to people’s lives, but also knew that The BEST Plan was unique in that it covers everything a body needs. In reflecting on this, her idea for a comprehensive coaching platform was born which she calls BEST.everywhere. Continue reading
Midnight Murakami, Southside Stories, Sicilian Sex Ghosts – What’s Happening, Greenpoint? (8/06–8/12)
* SummerScreen Presents The Big Lebowski @ McCarren Park (Bedford Ave & North 12th St) 6pm, FREE, With live music before the film presented by Showpaper, More info
* Rooftop Films Presents Forest of the Dancing Spirits @ Socrates Sculpture Park (32-01 Vernon Blvd) 8pm, FREE, Filmmaker Linda Västrik provides a glimpse at a culture so ancient that its denizens still inhabit the mythic world, More info
* Arrested Development Bingo @ Videology (308 Bedford Ave) 8:30, FREE, Come as a “never-nude” and get a free drink and a frozen banana, More info
On Friday 8/15 from 7-10pm Greenpoint Open Studios is hosting a sign-up party at The Diamond Bar (43 Franklin St). GOS is seeking visual / video art to project during the party!
*To participate please email .jpg, .tif, .gif, .mov, .avi files – under 10MB to artsingreenpoint (at) gmail [dot] com. Still and moving images will be accepted. In the subject of the email write: Sign-Up Video (YOUR NAME)
The evening will include music by DJ ItunesZ, a free beer for artists who sign-up, a short talk about GOS plus the opportunity to ask questions to organizers and meet other artists. This event is open to the public and ALL (not just participating artists) are encouraged to participate.
RSVP to party on FB! (and invite your friends!)
* We will do our best to include all work, but due to quantity and quality restraints we cannot guarantee your artwork will be shown. Thanks for understanding!