Current Sandy Relief Volunteer Opportunities: (via Jeffrey Newman)
*** Note: Contact the organization before volunteering/donating ***
Friday, November 9th:
- Thru Monday 11/12: Volunteers and donations are needed at Church of the Ascension (122 Java St) in Greenpoint today: 8am-6pm, Sat & Sun: 10am-6pm. In addition to around the clock volunteers at the church, the most urgently needed items are food, water, blankets, flashlights, batteries, toiletries, baby stuff, and cleaning supplies. Please: no clothes. Drivers needed in Greenpoint to deliver to various affected areas. For more volunteer opportunities and up to the minute info, you can follow Sandy Relief – Greenpoint on Twitter at @sandyrelief_GPT, or on Facebook. Contact: Rami Metal: (917) 885-3096.
- Greenpoint Reformed Church (136 Milton St) is also in need of volunteers to help, especially for anyone with a car who can come and pick up boxes for delivery. For more information, contact: Ann Kansfield Email: ann (at) greenpointchurch.org.
- Silver Tape Crew (80 Marine Way off Ebbits Ave) is in need of volunteers for Staten Island. Every morning volunteers for manual labor. Ask for Pastor Steve Martino of the Movement Church. Tell them you were sent by Frank Recce and want to have silver tape on your arm so you can be dispatched in a crew of 5-10 people to do manual labor. Contact: Frank Reece (646) 283-7240.
Saturday, November 10th through Monday, November 12th:
- Volunteers are needed for Queens: Buses will be leaving daily at 10 a.m. from 250 Broadway (between Murray St. and Park Place in lower Manhattan) across from City Hall. These buses will be going to some combination of hard hit areas in Brooklyn and/or Queens. Look for Gray Line New York double-decker buses. RSVP: SandyRelief (at) council.nyc.gov, with your name, email and cell, along with which day you will be coming.
- Locations for volunteering on Saturday in the Rockaways: • Meet at 11am at Councilman Sanders Office (15-26 Central Ave, Far Rockaway) Contact Amelia: (646) 250-5797. • • • Meet 11am at Community Room at Nordack Houses (321 Beach 57th St., Arverne) Contact Zach: (202) 390-8331 • • • Meet at Brooklyn NYCC Office (2-4 Nevins St.) to transport volunteers to Rockaways, Coney Island, Red Hook, etc. Contact: nyccvolunteer (at) gmail.com (347) 410-6919 ext. 285.