Big D Closing After 35+ Years!

Big D on Manhattan Ave Closing April 1st, 2014

With sadness many readers have written in to let us know their favorite discount shop on Manhattan Ave – big D – which has served Greenpoint for over 35 years is closing.

Big D Owner Joe Dweck Writes Store Closing

I ran into second generation shop and building owner Joe Dweck who was scrawling “Store Closing” on the glass storefront. He explained that the decision to close is ”bittersweet.”

The customers in Greenpoint were like family. We’ve had many loyal customers over the last 35+ years. Nice, polite, family people. The employees are good people also. Some have been with us for 10 years or more.

Robert and Albert Dweck, cousins, opened this store in the mid 70′s as Dee & Dee. It started as a 5&10 variety store, and changed into the discount department store you see today. It expanded from 2500 to the 7500sf store at 777 Manhattan Ave.

We’re sorry we had to go. The cost of doing business got too high – it’s time to move on. A new store will open up soon. No worries. It will be better than Dee & Dee or Big D ever was.

Storewide Closing Sale at Big D

There is a HUGE storewide closing sale until the doors finally shut in the beginning of April.

Did you shop at big D? Are you sad to see it go? Is there something you’d like to see open in its place?

1. Shaun says:

I like that they said something new will be opening in the space. Sounds like the existing Big D owners are working to make something else happen there. Hopefully it’s something useful to the community. I did like going to Big D for miscellaneous items.

2. Jo says:

It smelled like cancer and child labor but was always a good place to snag cheap holiday decor/boxes, and random home goods.

3. jon says:

A longshot, but would be nice to see the Greenpoint Y expand into this space.

4. Daniel says:

I live on the same block as Big D and am indeed saddened to see it go. No longer can I tell out-of-town guests to “just look for the big D!”. In all seriousness, Big D was a reliable dollar store for household items. Seems like Dweck is intimating that he is opening a new store in its place — can’t fathom what that’s about.

5. Maria says:

I’m SO sad to see it go. Where else are you going to find really cheap inexpensive items/ I’d like to see something simiar to this open because if it doesn’t we are going to have to go to a big box store and if you haven’t noticed Greenpoint doesn’t have one. Bye Big D…

6. Chris Williams says:

SORRY TO SEE YOU GO. I LIVED IN GREENPOINT AND SEE COME TO GREENPOINT FOR MY DENTAL AND TAX NEEDS AND STILL LOVE THE NEIGHBORHOOD, ALL LIKE FAMILY, WALKED ON MANHATTAN AVENUE WHEN I WAS YOUNGER AND JOHN’S BARGAIN STORE WAS THERE, THE 5&10 AND LOTS OF GOOD MEMORIES.

7. Angela says:

I will always remember buying my husband $10 sweaters from Big D for our first Christmas together. We were poor but there were lots of presents under the tree. Over the years, Big D has always had just what we needed. Sorry to see it go.

8. Newcomer says:

…like losing your favorite aunt.

9. Korina says:

This store furnished my apt when I moved to the neighborhood 6 years ago. It was nice to have a household stop and shop a block away. As for it becoming the Y- that’s a great idea but – probably not. They’re renovating the locker rooms in the current location- so I doubt they’re moving. The women at the nail salon across the street say its going to be another clothing store- but don’t know yet. If its urban outfitters I’m going to protest like there’s no tomorrow!!! But I agree, hopefully it’s something useful to the community.