What’s Happening Greenpoint? (9/19-9/26)
Thru 9/22 - Et cetera 2012 @ Public Assembly (70 No. 6th St) A week of art, talks, films, comedy, learning, music and dancing.
• Comics to Watch Showcase @ Creek and Cave (10-93 Jackson Ave., LIC) 8pm, 2012 Comedy Central’s Comics to Watch Showcase sponsored by Caroline’s, line-up is on the down low but the laughs are going to be through the roof! Hosted by Nick Turner.
♫ Rock the Pulaski Benefit for North Brooklyn Boat @ Broadway Stages Boatyard (437 McGuinness Blvd) 6pm, $5, games, drinks, food, music: The Hungry March Band / Red Bedlam / Free Advice /The Alex Mallett Band / Time Travelers, RSVP
♫ Scammers / Denver Hughes / Idaho Joe Winslow @ The Place (269 Norman Av) 8pm, $7
♫ The Babies, K-Holes, Sundelles @ Death by Audio (49 S 2nd St) 8pm, $7
♫ Fan-Tan, My Summer, Imaginary Weapons @ Big Snow (89 Varet St) 8pm, $7
* 2nd Annual Autumnal Equinox Pumking Breakfast @ The Diamond Bar (43 Franklin St) 10:49am-12:19pm, the first keg of Southern Tier Pumking will be tapped along with while Dave’s Mom and Dad will be serving pumpkin pie, cinnamon twists, and pancakes for free (limited quanities) to all drinkers.
• Sew a Merit Badge @ Greenpoint Library (107 Norman Ave) 12-2pm, Free, Join Greenpoint Hand Skills group for a free craft lesson to learn how to embroider merit badges, Coffee from Cup, Donuts from Peter Pan
♦ Newtown Creek Armada @ Newtown Creek Nature Walk (Paidge Ave & Provost St) 1-4pm, FREE, an art installation that invites the public to explore the creek, visitors will pilot a fleet of artist-made, miniature, remote-control boats along the creek’s surface, More Info
♫ Family Dance Party @ McGolrick Park, 4-7pm, Join Friends of McGolrick Park Association for a dance party under the pavilion! Bring a picnic and relish the nice weather. Rain location: Church of the Messiah (129 Russell St)
♫ Attacca Quartet @ East River State Park (No. 8th St & Kent Ave) 5:30pm, Graduate Resident String Quartet of The Juilliard School
♦ Geometricks @ Gallery Brooklyn (351 Van Brunt St, Red Hook) 6-9pm Opening Reception featuring the works of Augustine Kofie, Chor Boogie, Drew Tyndell, Feral Child, Hellbent, Jaye Moon, Maya Hayuk, MOMO, OLEK, OverUnder, See One, curated by Hellbent, presented by Brooklyn Street Art
♫ Heaven’s Gate / Life Size Maps / Butter The Children / Turnip King @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St) 8pm
♦ Panel Discussion: What is Collage? @ Ruth Phaneuf Fine Arts (10-61 Jackson Ave, LIC, 2nd Fl) 4-6pm, What was once considered an artistic reaction to the specific age of communication can be seen in retrospect as a responsive method to connect art and the world in any age. Moderated by Ruth Phaneuf and Michael Lee with participating artists Sara Klar, Abe McNally and Jason Tomme.
* Masters of Social Gastronomy Get Shelved: Preservatives & Convenience Food @ Public Assembly (70 No. 6th St) 7-9pm, FREE lecture, Why does your bacon clamor about its lack of nitrites, but your soda keeps quiet about sodium benzoate? Learn to read the small print of food labeling with terrifying ease!
• Pitchapalooza @ Word (126 Franklin St) 7-9pm, American Idol for books. Each writer gets one minuteto pitch their book! More info
* Greenpointers’ Pick
♥ Pheremones Likely
♦ Art Event