What’s Happening Greenpoint? (9/12-9/19)
• Nora Ephron’s Heartburn – BK Kitchen Book Club @ The Brooklyn Kitchen (100 Frost St) 6:30pm, $10, discuss Nora Ephron’s novel HEARTBURN and enjoy a no-pressure potluck inspired by the book (drinks provided), More info
• How to Kick Ass on Kickstarter @ The Yard (33 Nassau Ave) 7-9pm, FREE, Learn the tips and tricks to preparing, launching, and successfully funding your Kickstarter project, More info
♫ Indian Rebound / The Denzels / Fast Years @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St) 8pm
*** VOTE FOR LINCOLN RESTLER *** Polls are open from 6 AM to 9 PM. Polling locations.
• Happy Hour @ The Greenpoint Shul (108 Noble St.) 6-9pm, $5, a open house featuring wine and tapas. Learn about the history of the Shul and sign up for membership.
♫ Hard Bodies / Money Now / Nice Purse / Hard Nips @ Shea Stadium (20 Meadow St) 8pm
♦ Heroes Opening Reception @ Small Black Door (19-20 Palmetto St., Ridgewood) 6-10pm, This show is about a different kind of hero, More info
♦ House Party @ Pierogi’s Boiler Room (177 North 9th St) 7-10pm, a full-scale, participant activated installation by Andrew Ohanesian, a spatially accurate, quintessentially American suburban home opened up to the public for a house party on the opening night of the exhibition, More info
♫ Merchandise / Rosenkopf / Siamese Twins / Dream Affair @ Saint Vitus (1110 Manhattan Ave ) 8pm, $12
♥ Instagram Photo Walk @ (Greenpoint Ave and Manhattan Ave) 12pm, Instagram NYC is hosting an instawalk in our hood! Come meet other greenpoint instagrammers, take photos and explore the neighborhood together. TAG #GREENPOINT_WALK @GREENPOINTERS
• Newtown Creek Armada @ Newtown Creek Nature Walk (Paidge Ave & Provost St) 1-4pm, FREE, an art installation that invites the public to explore the creek, visitors will pilot a fleet of artist-made, miniature, remote-control boats along the creek’s surface, More Info
• Williamsburg Garden Walk (558 Metropolitan Ave) 2-5pm, a free,self guided tour of private gardens in Williamsburg, Maps available for pick-up at Crest, More info
♦ Fair Touching Opening Reception @ Rawson Projects (223 Franklin St) 6-8pm, Sam Martineau solo exhibition, More info
♦ Wearables Opening Reception @ Real Fine Arts (673 Meeker Ave) 7-10pm, Artwork by Nicolas Ceccaldi, More info
♫ Beach Day / Jangula / Life Size Maps / O-Face / The Ne’er Do Wells @ 171 Lombardy, 8pm, $7
*** Sunday – Saturday 9/16-9/22 Et cetera 2012 @ Public Assembly ***
A week of art, talks, films, comedy, learning, music and dancing.
• Kings County Corn Bowl @ TBD (224 Franklin St) 2-5pm, $15, music, raffles, corn cook-off to benefit Food Bank of NYC, More info
• Brew n’ Chew @ The Diamond (43 Franklin St) 3-5pm, a kick-ass homebrew/food pairing event. Taste brews and snacks of six competing teams and vote for your favorite! Proceeds from ticket sales will be donated to the New York Harbor School, Buy Tix
• CKTV @ Tandem Bar (236 Troutman St) 10pm, Cleopatra’s with artist Chris Rice, presents CKTV, an interactive video screening for one night at Tandem Bar in Brooklyn. Including works from over 50 Brooklyn based (and inspired), each have produced a unique karaoke video made to accompany a tune of their choosing, More info
• Hustle Harder: Get Paid For Your Creativity Class @ The Yard (33 Nassau Ave) 7-9pm, $25, the creative mind is usually always faced with two great tasks: making quality artwork and finding ways to profit from it. But it can be done, and it must be done! 10% Off with Code Greenpointers, Buy Tix
♦ Sumi-e Workshop @ Arts@Renaissance (2 Kingsland Ave) 6:30pm, In this workshop we will learn the principles and techniques of the ancient tradition of Sumi-e Painting. Sumi-e is a Japanese term meaning “ink painting.”
• Photoshop 101 @ The Yard (33 Nassau Ave) 7-9pm, $30, learn the fundamentals to using the design program Photoshop, including layers, tools, and editing practices, 10% Off with Code Greenpointers, Buy Tix
• Very Short Sentences with Verlyn Klinkenborg @ Word (126 Franklin St) 7pm, Get writing advice from author and New York Times editorial board member Verlyn Klinkenborg! He’ll give tips and tricks, take questions, and discuss the recommendations in his new book, Several Short Sentences about Writing.
♫ Band of Horses @ House of Vans (25 Franklin St) 8pm, 2 Free Tix with Album Pre-Order
• That’s What She Said: Conversations with Women Writers & Comics @ Public Assembly (70 No. 6th St) 7-9pm, FREE, Glennis McCarthy, of the Gorgeous Ladies of Comedy (G.L.O.C), will moderate a panel discussion with women navigating the worlds of both comedy and literature, More info
* Greenpointers’ Pick
♥ Pheremones Likely
♦ Art Event